WI-FI problem

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
We are on virgin,the other day we had a split second power out,my wife can no longer find our WI-FI on the available list on her laptop,i run a desktop and our WI-FI shows on it although i use ethernet,she has for now connected via ethernet but the connection keeps cutting out and straight back in.

Does the laptop contain any card or whatever that not only could decide not to work but show all local connections except ours,i warn you now i dont understand how these things work.

I guess it is a Windows laptop (since Mac probably wouldn't have a problem ;-) ) but it might be worth stating this and what version.

Have you tried turning the router (and any wi-fi supplemental gadgets) off and on again?
Are there any other devices connected to the wi-fi and are they having problems too?
Ethernet on laptop - were you definitely connected over ethernet? (my laptop will connect over wi-fi even when I plug ethernet in - have to physically turn off wi-fi to get it to use the cable)

Have you tried switching the router off for a minute or two and then powering on again?

Oops, beaten to it...

Thanks tried the above and it looks like it is the router/wi-fi ,my wives phone cant find it and my desktop is showing our connection but its on ethernet not wi-fi,we know the laptop was using the ethernet because wi-fi was switched off,looks like a new router from VM.

Go somewhere like the library that has free WiFi and see if that registers and works.

Might be a silly question but are you sure in the power outage, for whatever reason your router didn't do a reset and now you have a new wifi name?

If VM have updated the software on the router it could have screwed it up. Login to the admin page and check things are normal.

I have a separate router and just use the VM one in modem mode which limits how much they can cack up my broadband.

If you've changed the router name (SSID) and password since you've had it, the power outage has probably reverted the box to its factory settings.

Either log on via ethernet and reset them, or attach to the SSID listed on the back of the router with the password provided there.

Thanks again more things to look into :D

Hate to ask it but have you tried a complete shut down and restart of the laptop?

Done a bit more playing but its not working,i pulled the ethernet out of my desk top, am now using the WI-FI so its working, but on my wifes laptop she gets a list of local WI-FI connections but not ours.Just told her she has to use ethernet :D

Thanks every one

From memory the standard Virginmedia advice is to cut the power to the router, disconnect all Ethernet cables, shut down off all your computers, switch power back on and start reconnecting computers one by one.

I'm on VM and I never have to do more that just power off the router, wait a bit and power back on.

Back