Beginner Wide Angle Lenes

Name
Victor
Edit My Images
No
So I have a Nikon D3400 and thinking of getting a wide angle lens for landscapes. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I was happy with the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5

As Lee implies, make sure you understand how to compose with it. Don’t just stand in the same place as you would with the kit lens and simply “cram more in”

Depends on the landscape I've used anything between 14mm and 400mm. Do you want to do wide-open vistas or focus landscapes further away? That might help with an answer

Nikon also do a fairly inexpensive wide-angle. But I got rid of my 14mm lens and my widest now is 16mm, so if I need wider I go into panorama mode...

@ViClac82 - can you tell us what lenses you have at the moment ?

your Nikon D3400 is a crop sensor camera , meaning that you don`t get as wide angle image as you would with a Full Frame camera depending on the lens you choose .. If for example you use lets say a 16-35mm lens on a Full Frame camera ,then to get the same sort of view on your Crop Sensor camera (DX) you would need an equivalent of 11-16mm .. This video will help you get a better understanding >>> DX Lenses for Nikon <<<

A relatively cheap lens that can produce decent enough images in combination with your camera is the Tokina 11-16mm ,, NO its not the most fantastic lens in the world but its all down to whats acceptable to each individual person its certainly adequate enough .. they are for sale on eBay I bought one myself last year for £170 in mint condition to use on my D500..

A Focal length that is also starting to become popular among even the professional Landscape shooters is the 100-400mm which enables you to zoom in and compose Landscape images off in the distance , an equivalent to that would be the DX 70-300mm which would give you a range of 105-450mm giving you a good Zoom range if thats what you`re after ....

So in short , you wouldn`t be able to buy just 1 single Lens to do Both wide angle shots and Distant shots ... You must also check to see which Lenses are compatable with your camera , AFAIK the Nikon D3400 was released in 2015 or 2016 so there should be plenty of available Lenses ...

Just my thoughts , I hope some of this is helpful

Coho - Blue

I have spent many of my last 15 years of photography thinking the wide end of my 16-35 lens (on full frame, so think your Nikon that would be 10-22) was the ideal for landscapes. Then I picked up a 24mm lens (so roughly 15-16 on crop I guess?) and I now shoot far more landscapes and this length, and love them more for it.

"Ihave spent many of my last 15 years of photography thinking the wide end of my 16-35 lens (on full frame, so think your Nikon that would be 10-22) was the ideal for landscapes. Then I picked up a 24mm lens (so roughly 15-16 on crop I guess?) and I now shoot far more landscapes and this length, and love them more for it."

It's the other way round - a 16-35 lens fitted on a APS-C format camera becomes effectively a 24-52mm lens, ie the field of view narrows.

So, plenty of options wider than 18mm at the wider end are available. Just depends on what you want to pay....

Any of the AF-S 70-300s should work perfectly well for you. I'd suggest the FX variant rather than DX just in case you ever want to by a D6*0/D7*0/D8*0 body in the future.

"Ihave spent many of my last 15 years of photography thinking the wide end of my 16-35 lens (on full frame, so think your Nikon that would be 10-22) was the ideal for landscapes. Then I picked up a 24mm lens (so roughly 15-16 on crop I guess?) and I now shoot far more landscapes and this length, and love them more for it."

It's the other way round - a 16-35 lens fitted on a APS-C format camera becomes effectively a 24-52mm lens, ie the field of view narrows.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick :)

For me, most of the time 24mm on full frame is the widest I want for landscape. Wider than that becomes much more useful in urban areas where everything is close. There will always be occasional exceptions.

Another vote for the Sigma 10-20mm. I used this extensively, loved it. I only sold it when I moved to full frame. I had the f4.5-5.6 version, same as DerekD above.

Nikon AF-P 10-20 is really nice. Doesn't weigh much either so it matches with a D3400.

You're right, I could be clearer, but indeed, given OP is looking for a lens, I was applying my 35mm reference point to the equivalent lens that OP would experience the same field of view.

I'd recommend the Nikon AF-P 10-20mm which Nikon thoughtfully designed as a lightweight UWA lens for their DX bodies.. I've owned both that lens and the Tokina 11-16mm at the same time. I think you'll find the Tokina to be very front heavy on your D3400. I was never completely happy with the Tokina because although the image quality was absolutely first class, I found the range to be too small and resulted in too frequent lens changes in the field. The F2.8 aperture would be useful if you intended any astrophotography though,, but hardly a requirement for landscapes

Back