Wide Angle lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I get people saying I should buy wide angle lens for landscape. I currently use standard 18-55 on canon 750d, what benefits would I get from wide angle and could I get decent in £200-250 budget.

You do not need a wide angle lens for landscape photography. They can give outstanding results when used well, but note I said can not will! Your 18-55 lens is a wide angle @ 18mm fwiw ;)

Have a read of this http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm - most of what he spouts is crud, but this is a good article.

See (amongst the very very many on the topic, more recent offering) thread:[URL='https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/posts/7769670/']Wide angle - MFT[/url]
More land does not more landscape make,
UWA's an pack in a lot of real estate, but shrinking so much into the frame,much of the drama and detail is lost in the reproduction.
Mild tele's, conversely can add drama by cutting so much clutter and concentrating viewer's attension on the subject.
The old master's rarely used wides, let alone ultra-wides for landscapes, they shot with standard or near standard angle lenses, and even then display images were often cropped for printng/framing from as shot. Which offers lesson to reinforce above. But moral is it is nether camera nor lens that makes the landscape...
This & other thread do expand on the matter, and provide links to other resources, it is such an FAQ.

I fully agree with Teflon-Mike's comments but there are times when a wide angle lens is useful and for my purposes the Canon 10-18 is a good lens for the money.

You need a wider angle lens if when you examine your photographs you find an unusually large number are taken at the widest 18mm end of your current zoom, and you find yourself often winding it back to 18mm, hitting the stop, and thinking "Bother! I wish it went back a bit further!". If not, then you don't need a wider angle lens.

Wide angles / UWA lenses are really for use when you are IN the area of the subject. Anything further away than throwing distance a standard zoom is best. I've shot landscapes at 14mm (uwa on FF) and 600mm. IMO there is no such thing as a landscape lens, as you can use anything. In fact, being able to tighten up and loose some clutter is a massive benefit for landscape photography. Those that say you need a wide / uwa lens "for landscapes" don't shoot many landscapes :)

Last edited:
Back