Wide angle lenses: Sigma vs Tamron vs Tokina

Edit My Images
No
So I'm after a wide angle lens for my D3300. Mostly for Landscape but would also like to use for taking pictures of interiors (work related) and architectural. I've been looking that the Sigma 10 - 20, which seems to be reasonably well received but then so does both the Tamron 10 - 24 and Tokina 11 - 16. Just wondering if anyone on here has any opinions or thoughts on any of the above?

I'm leaning towards the Sigma, mainly on account of my thinking that it may be a decent compromise between the versatility of the Tamron - with it's larger focal range, and the Tokina - with a much smaller focal range, but I'm guessing that this would be made up by increased IQ?

Not sure if my logic is quite right in this so any thoughts on any of the above - or indeed any other alternatives that I may have missed - would be greatly appreciated.

You could maybe add the Sigma 12-24mm to the list of possibilities. It's an outstanding lens.

There is a new version of the Tamron 10-24 which adds image stabilisation if you want to wait for that.

I have the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 with my D3200 - I think these show it off okay (though the light wasn't the most interesting)...

DSC_9502.jpg by Eloise, on Flickr

DSC_9494.jpg by Eloise, on Flickr

There are two versions of the Sigma: the 10-20 f4-5.6 and the newer f3.5. The f3.5 is more expensive, especially when you can pickup the f4-5.6 secondhand for less than £200. I had that lens and found it to be really good.
Tamron have just announced a new version of the 10-24 with VC and better build quality. The Tokina is well regarded though, even though it has a shorter focal range, it's built solidly and of course it gives you f2.8 which is great is you're into night/astro photography.

Tamron have just announced a new version of the 10-24 with VC and better build quality. The Tokina is well regarded though, even though it has a shorter focal range, it's built solidly and of course it gives you f2.8 which is great is you're into night/astro photography.

Now that Tamron does sound interesting. Just seen the release notes on their site. So, next question: how long do these things usually take to hit the retailers after they've been announced?

Just something to note if you were looking at the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 - be aware that (iirc) there is a MkI version of this lens which doesn't have an AF motor which is required for your D3300. The later MkII version added a motor for the "budget" Nikon cameras.

Just in case you were considering second hand.

Tokina do a 10-17mm which is a rather unique fisheye at the wide end which of course can be de-fished

Back