Wide open or stopped down to f2.8

I prefere the second shot, that said the lightings different between them which may be affecting my choice.

The slightly deeper DoF from stopping down a little will get more of the model (acceptably) in focus but still throw (most of) the background out of focus.

I think if I'd taken the first picture I might look at softening the look of those three lights (or whatever they are) going from top left to towards the model. It may be just me but they catch my eye and I think I'd be tempted to reduce the contrast on them to soften their look and make them less obvious and blend in more.

Just a thought :D

The subject detail in Photo #2 is much better and in my opinion, gives the photo more impact.

The lighting is very different in those two images, as is the outfit and treatment in post (blacks and midtones)... all of those things are affecting the results much more than the aperture IMO.

Generally, you cannot use a wider aperture to make something distracting "go away." What usually happens is that the distraction becomes larger and less discernible, and I usually find that I prefer to be able to identify it.

In picture 1 there is a door handle on the models's right our left as viewing the image, this irritates the hell out of me, the lights I don't mind as they are not intrusive. Of the two pictures I prefer image two, you have moved slightly left which has removed the offending handle from the first, the image is just that much nicer IMHO.

But I am being picky, you have a lovely lady to photograph and if she is willing to be your muse then well done you, the images are great congratulations.

Back