Widescreen Curved monitors

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I've never been inclined to get a curved TV due to viewing distance, but with a monitor it could make sense. I've been eyeing a new monitor for a while now but held off due to the current one being fine but I've now scratched it bad so time to get a new one.

I'm currently looking at a Gigabyte G34WQC but it's a fair amount to spend if it turns out curved sucks. Has anyone got any thoughts or experience with these type of monitors?

I don't like them, but that doesn't mean you won't.

I'm used to using three monitors and although I'm currently only using two, there is no way I could replace them with a curved one.

I suggest you see if you can try one for a while before you buy one, but if you're used to using just one monitor it will probably be a huge improvement for you.

I’m very happy with my dell 34inch curved ultra widescreen 3440x1440

Use it for photograph processing and lots of gaming, web development.

Hard to imagine not have ultra wide now

Old photo, and I have newer version of the same model (and different PC) - but just how it sits on desk.

Attachments

• l1470911.jpg
    l1470911.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 78
  • l1470909.jpg
    l1470909.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 79
  • l1470905.jpg
    l1470905.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I would strongly suggest you stay with flat where lines remain lines and squares remain squares. It would annoy me to unbelievable levels in an instant.

Old photo, and I have newer version of the same model (and different PC) - but just how it sits on desk.

That looks nice

They take a bit of getting used to, and the ability to split the screen so you can still treat it as 2 monitors is pretty damn good!

IMG_20200913_154443.jpg

Nice setup you have there, are you by any chance a member of AVforums ;)

I would strongly suggest you stay with flat where lines remain lines and squares remain squares. It would annoy me to unbelievable levels in an instant.

So much love for this comment. My friend has a curved TV and I hate watching the thing with all my being. To try and do ANY form of computing on that....no way Jose...

So much love for this comment. My friend has a curved TV and I hate watching the thing with all my being. To try and do ANY form of computing on that....no way Jose...

I don't think I would like a curved TV either, but a monitor is different. One area in particular for me is when there's lots of numbers at the edges of the large screen. I'm hoping the curve will counter having to physically move my head.

I don't think I would like a curved TV either, but a monitor is different. One area in particular for me is when there's lots of numbers at the edges of the large screen. I'm hoping the curve will counter having to physically move my head.

Maybe for office work but I couldn't imagine editing on one. Reckon a dual screen rig would be the direction I would go for.

Maybe for office work but I couldn't imagine editing on one. Reckon a dual screen rig would be the direction I would go for.

Dual screen is the only way to go if you need more estate. For lightroom it's nearly pointless. My 2nd screen has emails on it. For office work it's super helpful with 2 documents side by side.

Curved would make it so much harder to adjust the geometry of an image, and just doesn't look natural; the camera sensor is flat and so are most printed materials.

Reactions: Sky
I'm hoping the curve will counter having to physically move my head.

Sit back a bit. It will help a lot. Go bigger and increase text size if needed. I'm normally working between 50-100cm away.

They take a bit of getting used to, and the ability to split the screen so you can still treat it as 2 monitors is pretty damn good!

View attachment 292551

Why did you have to tell me that? Now I'm looking at things like this

thinking it would really tidy up the 4 monitors I currently use.....

at work we use 6 monitors per workstation. we used to have 1 large (flat) 72" screen and it looked really sweet. but once the screen went bad you lost an entire workstation until the screen could be replaced. now with 6 smaller screens just one monitor has to be replaced and the dispatcher can keep working in the meantime.

one of the issues i had with one big screen was with glare on the monitor because i sit in front of a large glass paneled conference room. the monitors weren't shiny, but the bright matte line of glare at the top of the screen made it hard to read things. with 6 monitors i can angle the top row down and be able to see things clearly.

Sit back a bit. It will help a lot. Go bigger and increase text size if needed. I'm normally working between 50-100cm away.

Sitting back, going bigger and increasing the font size... Wouldn't that just be the same as me currently sitting closer with a smaller screen and smaller font? Lol

I have tried bigger monitors over the years but it doesn't help. I guess it is just basic geometry or physics or something. Curved makes sense, I'm hoping it works.

I've had a 22" Samsung curved screen for 4 years now and find it much better than a flat screen for every day computer work, video editing, etc. The lines stay straight on it, presumably due to the software, so getting things square isn't a problem, and the curve means I can see everything on the screen in one go when sitting in front of it at the desk (rather than not being able to see all the screen in one go when sitting at a similar size flat screen) when watching video footage, which was a major consideration for me.

I've not found a curved screen a hinderance at all for photo editing, but I did wonder about this when I first bought it, and I wouldn't like to go back to a flat PC screen now.

Sitting back, going bigger and increasing the font size... Wouldn't that just be the same as me currently sitting closer with a smaller screen and smaller font? Lol

You would think so, particularly with retina screens. It all makes sense until you realise it is killing your eyesight and your back at the same time.

Monitor arrived and this is weird haha! I feel like my eyeballs are trying to change shape, but it's very cool and certainly draws your focus in. It feels like it makes better use of the high resolution rather than just making everything small, although with my flat monitor Win 10 did help a lot with scaling compared to Win7. No time to test probably but it's 144Hz which is nice. It's like a mini IMAX haha

Monitor arrived and this is weird haha! I feel like my eyeballs are trying to change shape, but it's very cool and certainly draws your focus in. It feels like it makes better use of the high resolution rather than just making everything small, although with my flat monitor Win 10 did help a lot with scaling compared to Win7. No time to test probably but it's 144Hz which is nice. It's like a mini IMAX haha
If you think that looks weird then wait till you've got used to it for an hour or two, then go and look at a flat screen! :LOL:

Back