Wife wants a new body and I don't really blame her!

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
The wife is getting a bit hacked off with her D80, mostly with the inconsitent metering but to a lesser extent how noisy even shots taken at ISO 400 are.

Admittedly this is in comparison to my D700 so is a bit unfair, but she understandably is starting get the hump when were both out together with our camera's and she's struggling and I'm not.

To cut a long story short, I'm going to try and get her either a D300 or possibly D2XS, which will also double as a backup/second camera for me. Has anyone owned both of these, I'm mainy interested in how the D2XS performs at ISO800 and 1600 compared to the D300.

thanks
:)

The D2X stinks much past about ISO320...

It'll be worse than the D80, let alone D300.

Although at ISO200 and below I prefer the D2X for its acuity..awesome details and less noisey.

As the D300 has to electronically produce it's sub iso 200 equivalents it's never going to be as good as a "real" iso -base camera

This thread fails to deliver. I thought it was going to be about plastic surgery.

Is she comfortable with the size/feel of the D700 Phil? Would a D90 be a consideration (same body size as the D80)?

The D300 should be the ideal choice for you both I think. A nice step up in performance (not just ISO) for the wife and a great 2nd body for you with crop factor FOV reach should you need it (y)

Is she comfortable with the size/feel of the D700 Phil? Would a D90 be a consideration (same body size as the D80)?

yep did think about a d90 Steve, appreciate its a different world in terms of ISO but not sure that the gains to be had in other area's would justify the change. She get's on OK with the D700, even gripped so not an issue size weight wise....

Back