WiFi - 4G Stadium signals

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry guys, does this scrape into this forum?

I was just interested to ask those who did a signal during a rugby/cricket/football match etc.

I assume clubs off limited WIF in the press/media room which depending on the club does it reach to you pitch side? I suspect not all will? f not ....... What do you find financially advisable to take a signal with you?

1) Large Mobile phone data allowance to tether to a laptop?
2) BT open Zone i assume is 99% UK coverage
3) A dongle to one of the major phone companies

All cost extra so costs depends on your monthly data plan you feel is suitable 1,5,10,20 GB??

PP

Bigger clubs have wifi that extends around the playing surface. I've not had a problem picking it up at either end of the pitch in majority of places that have it. The higher end places will often have ethernet boxes as well so if the wifi goes down you can plug into the hard line at half-time to get shots out.

If there isn't any wifi I'm happy to just use my Android phone as a mobile wifi hotspot. I've found it cheaper just to increase the allowance of my monthly mobile tariff as opposed to buying a separate contract for a dongle.

I used to take 4 dongles with me to games, one per network. Most premier league grounds have pitchside wifi these days. For those with wired ethernet ports, I'd typically have a little battery-powered router which I'd use to create my own fast hotspot and not have cables everywhere. In any event, its wise to have multiple options as there's nothing worse than having an excelletn shot that you cant get sent.

I'm not as affluent as Mr Tobers ;), & as I use pay as you go data cards taking a few on different networks running out concurrently was expensive. I do agree though that certain networks will send out while others falter.

I use to keep a 3g 3 dongle as a spare because it seemed sometimes while everyone was scrambling for 4g bandwidth along with many of the fans mine steadily but happily sent my files but it didn't last forever:(.

I now usually take a Mifi unit on EE, (other networks are available), a 4g Dongle to transfer the data card to in case of a battery failure & my final back up is my phone which is on O2 & can be my mobile hotspot, (I have a limited data deal hence the back up).
Data pay as you go cards are a great way to go as you can get 6gig of data over 3 months for less than £20.00 so 2 of these & your seasons covered! also, many MIFI units are unlocked so you can put any suppliers cards in as & what is available, assuming of course you know which ones will work happily at the grounds you attend!.

Regards Graham.

many MIFI units are unlocked so you can put any suppliers cards in as & what is available, assuming of course you know which ones will work happily at the grounds you attend!.

Thanks for this point @Bluesman graham ... I didn't realise my device could be unlocked. I to have the EE device but Virgin offer more data for less money. (5gb for £12) The irony is!! i believe EE supply Virgin the network access and i'm not getting this offer at all through EE.

WIFI is obviously preferred but agreeing the Dongle is an important backup

Back