Wildlife Heritage Foundation

Edit My Images
No
For my 60th Birthday present my daughters treated me to a days photographic adventure at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation in Smarden, Kent. This is a superb place not open to the public but they do have occasional open days and run photography sessions where you can get up really close and personal with the wild cats many of whom are endangered or on the verge of extinction. The aim is to maintain a breeding stock to share with other similar facilities with others simply looked after as rescued animals. Eventually, several generations later and by removing contact with humans they will be released back to the wild with the aim to increase stocks in the wild.

All in all a superb place to go to and immerse oneself in the hobby with staff who are passionate. Not perfect images I know but put here simply to raise awareness of the WHF and for others to enjoy. I have only just taken up this hobby so still learning.

1. Amur Cat (Siberian Tiger) are the worlds largest - estimates put these at 400-500 worldwide

Untitled by Adrian Aslett, on Flickr

2. Bengal White Tigers (not Albino) but caused by a rare genetic trait

3. Pallas Cat - All the ladies loved this one

4. Caracal - Desert Lynx

5. White Lion

6. White Lions Lazing

7. Puma Jumping

8. Lazy Leopard

I think you had a great time that day (happy birthday young man!) and you used
your chance beautifully. For a beginner, you can frame your takes darn well! The
only thing I'm missing is a… cougar splash… which, of course, that cougar will
not give us the pleasurable sight!

Keep it going!

I think you had a great time that day (happy birthday young man!) and you used
your chance beautifully. For a beginner, you can frame your takes darn well! The
only thing I'm missing is a… cougar splash… which, of course, that cougar will
not give us the pleasurable sight!

Keep it going!

Thanks, sadly the cougars were just too good at leaping over the water. They were still very impressive and because they are being housed relatively naturally but under the care of their keepers many of the animals are quite obliging and responsive to instructions (with a little temptation snack !). I am trying to learn quickly as I left it late to get involved but its great fun.

Not a place I am keen on.
You caught the animals well,
Puma would have been better with legs stretched rather the hanging,
The last picture is a Cheetah not a Leopard

Been there once or twice, great place! Loving number 3, great capture.

Back