Wildlife Locations in Anglesey, Late April

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had a surprise holiday booked by my other half for my Birthday at the end of April, and we are heading to Anglesey for the week, so thought i'd get some research done nice and early in preparation

I have been to Wales on holiday for the past few years, but usually mid and South Wales, and about the only thing i know about Anglesey is that they have a good population of Red Squirrels, but i wouldn't have a clue where to even start looking for those

So over to you guys, and good recommendations for Wildlife location in and around that area

So far i have RSBP South Stack on my list

Last edited:
A cruise from Beaumaris at that time of year round Puffin Island will give lots of bird/seal shots. Guess which birds????

A cruise from Beaumaris at that time of year round Puffin Island will give lots of bird/seal shots. Guess which birds????

Penguins......... oh no Puffins ;)

Nice, will add that to my list, cheers

My other will be happy, she loved seeing the Puffins on the Farne Islands last year

Try Plas Newydd for Red Squirrels. It's a National Trust property set on the Menai Straits (Breathtaking) they have Red Squirrel Feeding Stations in the woods.
Also Newborough Forrest for Red Squirrels. You can wander throught the trees or take a walk on the stunning beaches or even walk out to the lighthouse (allow lots of time for that one, everytime you think you are nearly there somebody picks it up and moves it just a little further away!
The beach and bird sanctuary at Cemlyn are fab.
Anglesey Abbey, Penmon Lighthouse (facing Puffin Island) you may get seals and again lovely beach and a cafe it it is open.
You might find the boat trips don't run this early in the year or if the weather is not good.
Have a lovely time you are going to my wife's favorite island in the whole world.

Cheers guys, they all sound like great suggestions, so i will add them to the list

Thanks again

Penguins......... oh no Puffins ;)

Nice, will add that to my list, cheers

My other will be happy, she loved seeing the Puffins on the Farne Islands last year

Don't get too excited about seeing Puffins around Puffin Island, there are a few nesting pairs but nowhere near like visiting the Farne Island, there's a chance you might not see any. South Stack Lighthouse is worth a visit, lots of nesting sea birds in the cliffs, call at RSPB Conwy too which isn't far away, best visiting at high tide when the lagoons are at their busiest.

One of the best places for Red Squirrels is Llyn Parc Mawr near Newborough Forest
http://www.anglesey-hidden-gem.com/llyn-parc-mawr-newborough.html

If you want an idea of some great photo locations around the area I can recommend a good book too ;)

Simon

Don't get too excited about seeing Puffins around Puffin Island, there are a few nesting pairs but nowhere near like visiting the Farne Island, there's a chance you might not see any. South Stack Lighthouse is worth a visit, lots of nesting sea birds in the cliffs, call at RSPB Conwy too which isn't far away, best visiting at high tide when the lagoons are at their busiest.

One of the best places for Red Squirrels is Llyn Parc Mawr near Newborough Forest
http://www.anglesey-hidden-gem.com/llyn-parc-mawr-newborough.html

If you want an idea of some great photo locations around the area I can recommend a good book too ;)

Simon

Cheers Simon, i will have a look at your book too ;)

There is also a very good RSPB site at Conwy just off the A55, see:
https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-an...erves-a-z/reserves-by-name/c/conwy/index.aspx

There is also an excellent cafe there, and you are on the edge of the Conwy Estuary so there really is a lot to see. Would agree with earlier posts that a trip to Puffin Island from Beaumaris is very good as is a visit to South Stack. You might also be interested in exploring the whole area of Snowdonia as there is a lot to see there.

Last edited:
https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-an...erves-a-z/reserves-by-name/c/conwy/index.aspx

There is also an excellent cafe there, and you are on the edge of the Conwy Estuary so there really is a lot to see. Would agree with earlier posts that a trip to Puffin Island from Beaumaris is very good as is a visit to South Stack. You might also be interested in exploring the whole area od Snowdonia as there is a lot to see there.

Cheers, another one added to the list

We did actually do a walk up Snowdon a few years back, but i had much smaller/lighter kit back then, not sure i'd manage it with current setup ;)

South Stack is a fabulous place. Took this picture through the observation window in the Ellins Tower:
17523-1484491186-20c28244e6147facebef80d4b7be149b.jpg

There's a lot more to see besides, as well as some visitors who would look much safer if they had wings.....
17524-1484491212-724a240687b4f2641b11518744b7d878.jpg

You can download a very useful map of the area here:
https://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/southstackcliffs_tcm9-282737.pdf

Enjoy.

Plenty to see and do ,and a nice early part of the year to ,its a far bigger island than you think as well you will enjoy without a doubt

There is also an excellent cafe there, and you are on the edge of the Conwy Estuary so there really is a lot to see. Would agree with earlier posts that a trip to Puffin Island from Beaumaris is very good as is a visit to South Stack. You might also be interested in exploring the whole area of Snowdonia as there is a lot to see there.

Conwy RSPB has had a case of bird flu, it's not closed but maybe check before you visit.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, you have all been most helpful, looks like it;s going to be a busy week

I love the Menai Straits actually. You can walk down to the shore from Menai Bridge (the town) and then along at least as far as the Britannia bridge - not too strenuous! Also there are various ways of accessing the shore between Beaumaris and Penmon. There should be sandwich terns around as they are one of the earlier migrants but perhaps not common/arctic.

There are red squirrel feeders in Newborough forest at a carpark/picnic site just off the main roadas mentioned above, but last time i went there I didn't see one.

Edit: end of April = excellent time of year!

Last edited:
Some nice birds around Holyhead ,can't remember the name of the pub though :banana:

Back