wildlife photography on overcast days

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
hi all

is it worth photographing wildlife .. birds and animals on overcast days. im aware that soft light can equal soft pictures but i fancy doing something today and wouldnt mind going to a local nature reserve.

if i do i will try using my 150-600 lens on a tripod ... do i still have to have IS off if i am using my tripod as a pivot and stability? i havent got a gimble head but plan to get one when i can afford to.

Personally I wouldn't, but it depends how much you enjoy being out and trying, knowing that you have less chance of getting anything 'nice'. Someone will, of course, come and say I'm talking rot :D

If its a soft, bright overcast it is OK... if it is a dull overcast day then probably not.

Depends why you shoot TBH ... for me I have my pretty set days when I go out and so the weather just happens!
I love bright cloudy days but as above dull is disappointing, however I don't let the weather dictate my shooting (unless it's really awful!) as I enjoy being out getting fresh air & exercise and pursuing my hobby. Sometimes when the weather puts others off you get to see some gems :)

ok thannks, it's a pretty bright overcast today so I'll go out and see what I can get. Probably a stupid question but should I be using IS if I have my lens on my tripod ? I'm aware that you should turn it off if doing landscapes but I use a timer then, and with wildlife I'd be using my finger on the shutter when taking the shot.

Bright overcast should be reasonable, as you should have a decent amount of light, but will avoid the harsh shadows of direct light.

RE: Tripod

If you are leaving the head 'loose' , so the tripod is primarily there to take the lens and camera weight (much as you might with a monopod, or bean bag on a convenient post), then you probably want IS on.

If the camera is 'fixed' (IE Head locked) then you want to turn IS off (since if the IS elements do move, it can only add motion, as there is none to counter).

Some people also turn IS off if the light is bright enough that the shutter speed is very high (EG 1/2000+), but that's probably more a personal choice.

If in doubt, try taking some with and without in hte same situations, then you can compare and see what works best for you and your specific camera, lens & tripod combination.

ok thannks, it's a pretty bright overcast today so I'll go out and see what I can get. Probably a stupid question but should I be using IS if I have my lens on my tripod ? I'm aware that you should turn it off if doing landscapes but I use a timer then, and with wildlife I'd be using my finger on the shutter when taking the shot.

Thom Hogan has quite an in depth explanation of IS/VR/OS, when and where to use it.

http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

I've always thought IS/VR/OS is there to stop camera movements from the photographer. If you are on a tripod (whether locked up or not) you shouldn't have anywhere as much movement as compared to hand holding, it should be a pretty stable base. This of course differs from person to person as every one is different, some can handhold pretty steady whereas some are still quite shaky on a loose tripod. This is why you need to experiment to where you feel comfortable. My generally feelings are I use a tripod with VR off if hand holding I may have VR if I'm lower than 1/focal length, but I rather use a tripod than try hand holding with VR on. Whenever I'm out with along lens I always have it attached to a tripod, the two go together all the time. I find it much easier than trying to hand hold a 3.5kg lens steady waiting for wildlife.

With VR I generally keep to:
On a tripod- VR off
Hand holding but shutter speed above 1/focal length- VR off
Hand holding but shutter speed below 1/focal length- VR On

For me hand holding depends on the lens, I can hand hold a 70-200 much better than a 200-400, so I may turn on VR when below 1/(focal length x2) i.e. 1/800 is the cut off point at 400mm on that lens whereas it may be 1/200 at 200mm on a 70-200.

There are two other things to think about, focal length of long lenses need a fast shutter speed to counteract lens movement, and with wildlife the subject is moving too. On a tripod with long focal lengths you could be slightly moving the lens when you depress the shutter (a long lens and camera on a tripod is like a see-saw, press down on one end the other goes up), this slight movement could be a reason for softer images.

The other is wildlife moves even when it looks like it's sitting still. IS/VR/OS may correct camera shake and allow slow shutter speeds to be used but these slower speeds may not be enough to freeze the subjects movement. I remember shooting red squirrels with 1/320sec on a 200mm lens last year, I thought it was plenty but found the images just slightly soft. I looked back through previous images and they were taken at 1/500 or above. I've found 1/800 as a minimum for me is the ideal shutter speed for red squirrels, with something slower and large like red deer I can get away with 1/320-1/500 but during the rut when there can be explosive action at a moments notice I may use 1/1000 for standing portraits in case they break out into a fight.

Overcast days can be great for getting portraits with no strong lighting causing shadows on the subject. I'm often out only at sunrise/sunset when the light is softer and more interesting. A bright overcast day is probably the only type of day I would consider being out during the midday period, on a sunny day the midday light ican be too harsh unless you find an area of shade.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
I tend to only go out when the weather is nice but that's tricky when you work full time!

So you have to take what you get sometimes.

Like yesterday, for example. Waiting for a bit better weather, than the dark grey we had all day, but it didn't change. I was itching to go out, so I did, and came home with the pics I'd taken and more or less deleted them all. Even the Fieldfares/Redwings in flight were at such a high ISO, that they lost all detail, where there was no light on them to show the details. And BiF photos don't tend to use high ISO, so you can imagine how grey it was.

Then again, in England, if we waited for good weather, we may as well sell all of our camera gear :D

Living in Scotland we have no choice but to go out when we can no matter the weather. A bonus for me is if i get the shutter speed above the ISO. Weather doesnt bother me to much as long as its not bucketing it down with rain.

Last edited:
Soft days are better for photographing black and white birds, eg puffin, guillemot, magpie, etc, etc. On bright days the contrast in their plumage is just too much for a sensor to cope with.

As mentioned by Rob, shadows can also be a problem in sunshine. There's nothing worse than the shadow of a twig falling across the face of a woodland bird, for example.

If it really is dull you can simulate brighter conditions using the White slider in LR (no doubt there is a PS equivalent) though you may have to compensate by using the Highlight slider as well.

It's always worth going out,as a nature guy one might see something remarkable and lets face it it's good for us too. As a tog it might actually present not only chances to learn about high iso but also to make different images and one simply can't find on a sunny day.

The day in question is a case in point: we had chores but really just wanted to get out,watched weather prayed for more light and no rain,all to no avail. So left home with it hammering down. As it happened there was a chink in the cloud on arrival, Kes turned up with not quite enough time to get any images of the sun catching her,missed it by seconds. But then spent a while shooting an incredibly bedraggled bird preening,Shots one could rarely get on a sunny day and learning about high iso. Simply a fantastic experience.

As with Wez most will probably get deleted,but a guy with more ability might have got some real gold there.

I guess with the constant improvement in sensors and their ability to produce less noise at higher iso, in time I think more of us will have access to these cameras so the grey gloom might be a bit easier for us to deal with. I noted Mark's comment above about the iso being higher than the shutter,something I've never mused before ,looked at the couple or three hundred frames we shot in the gloom not one.has the shutter numerical value higher than that of iso. For me at this stage learning all this ,these grey miserable days have provided one hell of a learning tool.

Ha ha and as the nature boy,well I got to spend time with a little falcon I love, had a long chat while the little fella while she had a wash and brush up. We went home cold wet and happy: My last frame was as she lifted dived into the base of the hedge chased a vole down on foot and flew off to her tree with dinner,

The moto if its grey and the camera is in it's bag one won't be making any images: if one goes out on has a chance, maybe just to learn maybe just to see something cool, but yeah maybe an image to go home with and keep

Joel, I hope your grey old day ended as well as mine mate, ok it didn't go completely to plan as couldn't upload images to computer, when we got home eos utilitly said NO.....but that's life huh,I'm sorted now:)

Stu

It's always worth going out,as a nature guy one might see something remarkable and lets face it it's good for us too. As a tog it might actually present not only chances to learn about high iso but also to make different images and one simply can't find on a sunny day.

The day in question is a case in point: we had chores but really just wanted to get out,watched weather prayed for more light and no rain,all to no avail. So left home with it hammering down. As it happened there was a chink in the cloud on arrival, Kes turned up with not quite enough time to get any images of the sun catching her,missed it by seconds. But then spent a while shooting an incredibly bedraggled bird preening,Shots one could rarely get on a sunny day and learning about high iso. Simply a fantastic experience.

As with Wez most will probably get deleted,but a guy with more ability might have got some real gold there.

I guess with the constant improvement in sensors and their ability to produce less noise at higher iso, in time I think more of us will have access to these cameras so the grey gloom might be a bit easier for us to deal with. I noted Mark's comment above about the iso being higher than the shutter,something I've never mused before ,looked at the couple or three hundred frames we shot in the gloom not one.has the shutter numerical value higher than that of iso. For me at this stage learning all this ,these grey miserable days have provided one hell of a learning tool.

Ha ha and as the nature boy,well I got to spend time with a little falcon I love, had a long chat while the little fella while she had a wash and brush up. We went home cold wet and happy: My last frame was as she lifted dived into the base of the hedge chased a vole down on foot and flew off to her tree with dinner,

The moto if its grey and the camera is in it's bag one won't be making any images: if one goes out on has a chance, maybe just to learn maybe just to see something cool, but yeah maybe an image to go home with and keep

Joel, I hope your grey old day ended as well as mine mate, ok it didn't go completely to plan as couldn't upload images to computer, when we got home eos utilitly said NO.....but that's life huh,I'm sorted now:)

Stu
:agree:

interesting tips here, so for 10 minutes reading i have learned a fair bit thanks guys :plus1:

The only thing you need to do on an overcast day is ensure you pick compositions that exclude any and all sky.

When I got this photo, it was a really horrible day (I used my flash)
EF7A0177Jay by davholla2002, on Flickr

It is not brilliant but it is ok and they only Jay I have ever photographed (they are not that common in London and are quite shy).

Forget the weather, just go out. If you get a good picture, great. If you dont, you have got some fresh air, walked some and will feel better for it. And maybe seen something you can go back and photograph on a better day. And weather changes in an instant - I am sure we all have moments when we wish we had gone out, but didnt because the weather wasnt 'good enough' at the time, but was later.

Forget the weather, just go out. If you get a good picture, great. If you dont, you have got some fresh air, walked some and will feel better for it. And maybe seen something you can go back and photograph on a better day. And weather changes in an instant - I am sure we all have moments when we wish we had gone out, but didnt because the weather wasnt 'good enough' at the time, but was later.
Very true, once it was raining and I went out as soon as it stopped and was out for just 15 minutes because it started again - I got a green woodpecker though because it had been raining and it was looking for worms.

I used to think positively and go out when the weather was unsettled. Cant be arsed with that anymore

To be fair, sunny days can be really tough too... I find it specially difficult with black and white wildlife such as puffins, you get a lots of burnt highlights or you need to underexposed the shot a lot...

So yes go out, and go out as much as you can. It's always good to take the fresh air and it's not an obligation to come back with a great shot but if it happen it's a plus! If it's p***ing down and blowing a gale outside maybe not also but it's good to go out and see the waves.

I've done it before with the northern light, it can be so disappointing when you decide not to go out base on forecast. And then you miss out on something which turn out to be pretty good!

Soft days are better for photographing black and white birds, eg puffin, guillemot, magpie, etc, etc. On bright days the contrast in their plumage is just too much for a sensor to cope with.

As mentioned by Rob, shadows can also be a problem in sunshine. There's nothing worse than the shadow of a twig falling across the face of a woodland bird, for example.

If it really is dull you can simulate brighter conditions using the White slider in LR (no doubt there is a PS equivalent) though you may have to compensate by using the Highlight slider as well.

Joel you don't state which lens or variant you have which would help .but the general rule of thumb states yes you can shoot on dull days within the limitations of your camera ,lens and p.p skills .
First off your lens even on a gimbal will be moving so it's I.s on at all times and in mode 2 for panning ..make totally sure that your lens is properly micro adjusted to your body as any faults will be amplified with distance . During the summer months using my sigma sport I find 640 or 800 ISO is fine but during this dreary winter I have had to adapt and have my camera set to auto ISO and with a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000of a sec dialled in ,againthis depends on your camera body .
It will also result in high ISO shots so your p.p skills will then have to come into play with layering and noise reduction a top priority

Back