Will Adaptall-2 work for vintage Tamron Macro 70-210mm F/3.5 and Canon 450D EOS?

Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon,

I have two 'vintage' (judging by the boxes, probably 20 years of age) Tamron Macro lenses. As I have always wanted a macro lens but don't have the budget (worked with a close up filter so far but have considerable chromatic issues with it) I was hoping that I might get these two lenses to work with my camera.

My Camera:
Canon EOS 450D - Currently working with a Canon Zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm.

The vintage lenses:
lens a)
Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5 CF Macro BBAR MC - 19H - Adaptall-2 Mount System - Serial: 309387

lens b)
Tamron 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5 CF Macro BBAR MC - Adaptall-2 Mount System - Serial: 693414

My questions:
  • Would an adaptall-2 mount system work on with my camera? In other words: is there a way of using these lenses with my camera?
  • And if so: where can I get the correct adaptall-2 mount system? On some sites there are plenty but they all seem EF or EF-M but no EF-S.

As you may have gathered by now, I am quite the novice at equipment level.

Any assistance in the matter will be greatly appreciated.

With best regards,
S

You would need to buy an Adaptall>mount adaptor then an adapter for that mount>EOS. If you bought something like an Adaptall2>M42 you could then buy an M42>EOS adaptor and mount the lens onto your 450D. However, be aware that even though those lenses state 'macro' on them, that just means that they focus a bit closer than other equivalent lenses of their time. I don't believe that either of them are dedicated macro lenses.

You would need to buy an Adaptall>mount adaptor then an adapter for that mount>EOS. If you bought something like an Adaptall2>M42 you could then buy an M42>EOS adaptor and mount the lens onto your 450D. However, be aware that even though those lenses state 'macro' on them, that just means that they focus a bit closer than other equivalent lenses of their time. I don't believe that either of them are dedicated macro lenses.

Thank you for your reply. I do too think that they probably are not proper macro lenses. However, I wonder if it will be better results than my current set up which is just a standard zoom lens (see OP) with a close up filter ...

And if so: where can I get the correct adaptall-2 mount system? On some sites there are plenty but they all seem EF or EF-M but no EF-S.

The EF version will work fine on your camera, not the EF-M one though, that is for Canon mirrorless cameras.
Anything with an EF mount will work on an EF-S mount, but not the other way around.

I am pretty sure that Tamron made a 1:1 macro but the also sol a 1:2 with an attachment to make it 1:1. If they are boxed it should tell you on the box:) I have two adaptall mounts a Nikon and a Canon but the canon one I have is the breech lock type otherwise I would have given it to you..

I am pretty sure that Tamron made a 1:1 macro but the also sol a 1:2 with an attachment to make it 1:1. If they are boxed it should tell you on the box:) I have two adaptall mounts a Nikon and a Canon but the canon one I have is the breech lock type otherwise I would have given it to you..

I cannot attach photos to the posts as I am new to the forum. The larger of the two lenses has a Magnification ration (is that what you are referring to?) of 1:2.6 or with 2x tele converter it will be 1:1.33.

It appears I have to experiement now. I wonder if it is worth it getting the two lenses to work on my camera, or shall I try reverse lens - something I have never even heard of until kendo1's post. The setup now - ordinary zoom 18-55mm lens with close up filter - has it's limitations, especially when trying to capture very small insects.

Another option is extension tubes. Just google for your lens mount or look on Amazon. They're pretty cheap compared with your first option.

They come in various lengths - 31mm, 21mm, 13mm - and can be stacked. Probably best to google how to use them or look on flickr to see what pictures look like when you use them.

Certainly worth getting the 70-210mm working to have a go with. Depends how close you want to get though. If you want to take a whole butterfly or dragonfly for example, you dont need 1:1 it wouldnt fit on the sensor. The extra length of the lens will also give you a decent working distance from the subject
If you want to get in really close and see the hairs on the legs of a housefly, then yes 1:1 or more is going to be needed, plus you will most likely need extra lighting aswell.
There is a lot to learn in macro and close-up photography and many ways to approach it.
Have fun.

Just remembered these, you might find them interesting

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPzTMUAWs8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J3UQH8TlXo

Last edited:
Another option is extension tubes. Just google for your lens mount or look on Amazon. They're pretty cheap compared with your first option.

They come in various lengths - 31mm, 21mm, 13mm - and can be stacked. Probably best to google how to use them or look on flickr to see what pictures look like when you use them.

I have hesitated so far with buying extensions tubes simply because it appears that they might create lighting issues (not enough light coming through). But I may try it afterall. Firstly I am going to see if I get the bigger of the two lens to work. At least then I know rather than wondering what IF and selling them.

Certainly worth getting the 70-210mm working to have a go with. Depends how close you want to get though. If you want to take a whole butterfly or dragonfly for example, you dont need 1:1 it wouldnt fit on the sensor. The extra length of the lens will also give you a decent working distance from the subject
If you want to get in really close and see the hairs on the legs of a housefly, then yes 1:1 or more is going to be needed, plus you will most likely need extra lighting aswell.
There is a lot to learn in macro and close-up photography and many ways to approach it.
Have fun.

Just remembered these, you might find them interesting

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPzTMUAWs8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J3UQH8TlXo

Thank you very much for the link to the two videos. I will watch them later this evening when I get some time.

How close .. well that is the thing. Some insects (such as tiny moths) do not come out all that well with my set up. It works fine for whole butterflies or dragonflies (or any similarly sized insect) .

I want to find out if I am content with getting up closer. Some macro photography is too close for my personal taste as sometimes the beauty of the actual being is lost. Then again it shows the beauty of nature in great detail. It depends what one wants to communicate with the photo. The extra lighting is another thing ... I refuse to use flash as I don't want to bother the insects. I don't even use a tripod as all my shots are spur of the moment, usually somehow balancing at odd angles somewhere over a blade of grass ... swaing with it in the wind ... I have considered light rings but even that may be too intrusive.

I don't really call myself a photographer anyway, I am merely enjoying to explore and observe all the small beings around us that are so important to our wellbeing and share the findings via photography.

So far all the tips and hints have been most helpful. I think I shall try out the larger of the two lenses and see how I get on and if it works for my purpose. It may inspire for a new take on how I photograph ...

:)

I doubt if the insects could really care less about whether you use flash or not.

Back