Will these items work ok for my new PC base for VMWARE Workstation?

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz Octa Core (Socket AM3+)

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: CPU0153

£140.28 £140.28

CCL Choice 8GB (1x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: RAM1634
£45.99 £183.96

Be Quiet! Pure Power 9 600W PSU 80+ Silver

• In Stock for 2-3 Day Delivery
  • Order for Pickup in 1-2 Days
CCL Code: PSU1287
£64.47 £64.47

Corsair Carbide 200R Black Midi Tower Case

• In Stock for 2-3 Day Delivery
  • Order for Pickup in 1-2 Days
CCL Code: CAS1082
£60.89 £60.89

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD Socket AM3+ Motherboard

• In Stock Now
  • Pickup Now
CCL Code: MBD1317

Nice pictures!

These are the system requirements for Workstation from the vmware website:

System Requirements
  • 64-bit x86 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor or equivalent, AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Dual Core Processor or equivalent
  • 1.3GHz or faster core speed
  • 2GB RAM minimum/ 4GB RAM recommended
Looks like what you're proposing meets them, but you're an IT person as I recall, so you doubtless worked that out already. I'd be throwing more RAM at it if running one OS on top of another but (a) I'm not an IT person or a virtualisation expert and (b) I guess you have reasons for using workstation (paid) rather than ESXi (free). My W10 development machine is currently running at half of its 8GB in use with just MS Visual studio, text editor, mail client, browser, couple of Putty ssh windows, wincsp and vShpere client (connected to an ESXi server). Running a hypervior and one guest operating system would be likely to use all of the rest - are you likely to want to run multiple guest OS simultaneously?

I'd also be using Intel rather than AMD, but that's personal due to bad experiences in the past. Mostly around rubbish chipsets / motherboards rather than the actual CPUs, aside from when I tried to run a dual processor setup on a Tyan board with the AMD reference chipset for servers, which was unstable as me after six pints of beer (i.e. prone to fall over without any warning).

I am an IT person but servers not PCs more are the bits compatable.
using workstation as i need it to be a portable lab and also using workstation is an easier way to have multiple ESX hosts in a single solution.
I also needed it to come in at £500 (ish)

I THINK workstation is a bit more resilient than exsi as its already got windows drivers to lean on for hardware support.

Exsi on the other hand is a bit picky. For example on a hp dl360 g9 this week needed a specific hp esxi installer for extra drive controller drivers.

Exsi on the other hand is a bit picky.
No RTL8139 support in recent versions either, which is about the most common PCI network adapter chipset in the world :eek:. Confused us a lot when we needed a second physical LAN connection on the host to set something up.

It's got all the server / enterprise class network drivers in though and we ended up buying something from Broadcomm or IBM.

Well its all built and running well, i swapped the basic ram for crucial just for the lifetime warranty.
scavanged 2x 500GB SSDs from my previous setup and just for good measure also my nvidia 1060.

it is all installed with win10 64x and vmware workstation 12 pro.

i have quickly thrown together a training lab of 5x 2008r2 64s servers, 1 is a DC and the other 4 member servers that i will use for things like SCCM, WSUS and a few other things.
I will also mix in som 2012 servers in the next few days, the 8 core processor is moving along at about 40% currently.

happy days

Back