Will these Nikon Bodies be compatible.

Name
Tim Ellis
Edit My Images
No
I bought my son a few lenses including a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG II HSM Macro for his Nikon D5300.

However I was thinking about having a play and getting an older camera which I used to have a Nikon D300 so would the lenses my son uses with his D5300 work well with the D300 as not sure about where the auto focus comes from on these cameras/bodies

Anything that works on the d5300 should be fine on a d300

I don't think that's quite correct. I don't think the D300 works with 'stepper motor' AF-P DX lenses, and only with restricted functions with AF-P FX lenses.

AF-S lenses will be fine with both (I think your Sigma is equivalent to AF-S).

Older AF and AF-D lenses that require a motor in the camera body will of course only work with the D300.

There are various compatibility charts online with contradictory information. Nikon's own Excel spreasheet seems to be the definitive one:

www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/LCC/LCC_En.xlsx

as long as its not the newer af-p lens the others will work just dandy

I don't think that's quite correct. I don't think the D300 works with 'stepper motor' AF-P DX lenses, and only with restricted functions with AF-P FX lenses.

Nikon indicate compatibility with DX AF-P lenses but some limits with FX AF-P lenses but mainly around the VR and AF/M arrangement.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000035705&configured=1&lang=en_GB

It is different from the spreadsheet and both are documents updated within a few days of each other it seems.

I don't think the web page is worded very well. They give a short list of cameras 'where these restrictions apply' when using DX AF-P lenses. This list includes the D810 but not the older D800 or D300. Although this tends to imply that the D800 and D300 can for some reason use these lenses without restrictions, I don't think this can be correct, especially as the spreadsheet has a '-' in the compatibility boxes for the DX AFP lenses in the D800 and D300 tabs. If the spreadsheet is right, I think they really mean that the DX AF-P lenses don't work even with restrictions on the older cameras - i.e., they don't work at all. Here's a post from someone who found that AF-P DX lenses did not work on a D300s:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4205595

Back