Will used D750s become cheaper after the rumoured January release of the D780?...

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
And if so, any guesses by how much and how quickly. I’m currently considering an imminent D610 purchase but I might hold off if used D750 drop in price significantly. Any thoughts??

Here is my guess. Prices are pretty low already for the D750 and if people upgrade then there will be more on the second hand market so used prices maybe better. The problem is that it is a very capable camera so the D780 would have to be amazing.

Camera Jungle still have 20% off using code YEAR20 for anything over £750 (or 10% off using YEAR10 for anything under). so some decent prices available.

Here is my guess. Prices are pretty low already for the D750 and if people upgrade then there will be more on the second hand market so used prices maybe better. The problem is that it is a very capable camera so the D780 would have to be amazing.

Considering the D750 is over 5 years old there’s probably a tonne of new technology around now that will make the upgrade attractive to a lot of people

Camera Jungle still have 20% off using code YEAR20 for anything over £750 (or 10% off using YEAR10 for anything under). so some decent prices available.

Hmm, D600 for £400. Cant work out where to use the offer code though.

Yes apply at checkout NEW10 gives 10% off :)

I’d say yes as that’s normally what happens. By how much who knows (y)

Just seen the specs and a few youtubers thoughts and to be honest, I will stick with my D750.

It will take a while for that to take effect.

You need every tom dick and harry online bragging that their new D780 is the best thing in the world and can do magic tricks
then the d750 looks increasing old and out of date and the prices start to weaken but nothing too write home about. Just better deals and more choice etc

TBH I'm not sure why someone would buy a D780 for £2199 when you can get a D850 for £300 more. I haven't compared specs but the resolution difference is so huge...

TBH I'm not sure why someone would buy a D780 for £2199 when you can get a D850 for £300 more. I haven't compared specs but the resolution difference is so huge...

Most will buy them grey for about £1300, keep them for 5 years and sell to someone for £800 so the camera cost them £100 per year

Absolutely, the D850 is a no brainer over the D780 unless you shoot video. The D780 looks good, just way overpriced imo.

TBH I'm not sure why someone would buy a D780 for £2199 when you can get a D850 for £300 more.
It's smaller, lighter and has fewer mega pixels than the D850 for three reasons. Some people don't want or need any more than 24mp or the supposed benefits of 'pro level' build quality.:)

One thing to note though is the iso performance of the d780 will beat the d850.

I can see a lot of people buying it who don't need more than 24mp and do need the best iso performance they can get.

I would want a d850 myself and have a d800 currently. I could have gone d750 at the time

Fair enough - I guess this is the "enthusiast D780 vs pro D850" argument and solution then?

Fair enough - I guess this is the "enthusiast D780 vs pro D850" argument and solution then?
I think it's more because Nikon (imo) have priced the D780 too high and as a result will be compared to the better bodies, it's inevitable. I understand that some won't want the D850, but at current prices the D850 is surely the better bang for buck.

I think it's more because Nikon (imo) have priced the D780 too high and as a result will be compared to the better bodies, it's inevitable. I understand that some won't want the D850, but at current prices the D850 is surely the better bang for buck.
agreed

I guess it comes down to them being different cameras for different functions. what you shoot and in what conditions will decide what camera is best for you. For what it’s worth I just bought a used D600 for £430! First foray into full frame and suits my needs as an ‘enthusiast’ landscape photographer. Feels like a massive step up from my entry level D3300!

I seem to remember that when it was released the d750 was slagged off here and elsewhere for various reasons; how things change!
Including by the chap who started it's dedicated TP thread! :LOL:

I seem to remember that when it was released the d750 was slagged off here and elsewhere for various reasons; how things change!
Yup, when I first got mine I went through that thread, a lot of folks were saying it was a step down from the 700, to be honest I think the 750 is a brilliant camera, and Nikon knew it as they kept it as a current model for all those years and it is still there today. Some will not like the 780 just because you cannot get a grip for it as in the posts about the 7500 which has the same problem. Time will only tell when the 780 becomes available and the "upgraders" start to reveal their thought ;)

I was underwhelmed but the D750's specs at first but ended up buying one and it's still one of the best cameras I've ever had.

The D780 does look better than the D750 even without the mirrorless tech.

If it can do that and have awesome live view then it’s a huge bonus imo. Still no Z6mk(2) as I suggested in another thread but having a useable live view let alone a frigging awesome live view.

It’s probably not fair to compare prices to the D850 or at least compare it to the D850 at launch.

This does give me hope that I won’t have to go mirrorless if the same can be applied (but better) to the D880(!)

If it can do that and have awesome live view then it’s a huge bonus imo. Still no Z6mk(2) as I suggested in another thread but having a useable live view let alone a frigging awesome live view.

It’s probably not fair to compare prices to the D850 or at least compare it to the D850 at launch.

This does give me hope that I won’t have to go mirrorless if the same can be applied (but better) to the D880(!)
Only trouble is going by Nikon’s current pricing a D880 will be around £3999 :(

I'm still sitting on the fence a bit here :(

As much as I LOVE my D750s there are a few reasons I'd switch to mirrorless now, the D780 doesn't give me any reason to buy it over getting another D750 (or 2) and especially if D750 prices do fall shortly after the D780's release

I've seen 4ft tall prints from a D750 that have stunning quality, yet I've never had a print bigger than A3, so the D750 already gives me more resolution than I need and hence the 8-series are pointless to me. In fact I'd go further and say the 8-series are far more capable than the vast majority of photographers really need and as such, for most owners, are just a waste of money - but hey - that's what gear lust is all about :D

Dave

I never really got on with the D750. I was hoping the D780 might push the used prices of the D700's even further down though :)

The d750 and d780 have exact same RRP you realise with a 6 year gap
Think I paid £1750 at launch for my D750, surely inflation’s not gone up that much?

The d750 and d780 have exact same RRP you realise with a 6 year gap
Think I paid £1750 at launch for my D750, surely inflation’s not gone up that much?

I think I read something like that on DPR and TBH it read like a rather desperate attempt at justification to me. I could be wrong and it could be the honest view of an independent reviewer. It could happen.

Yup it'll be a good camera but the small problem with comparing it to the D750 is it's now a quarter of the price, a 'hybrid' camera is a tougher sell when you can get a D750 and Z6 for the same price.

Not fair but realistic, if you can get a D850 for a similar price that's the current reality of the situation. A few years ago it would have been a different matter but it's being released now so has to contend with competition from super cheap D750's, cheaper Z6's, almost on par D850's and other products like the A73.

Yup it'll be a good camera but the small problem with comparing it to the D750 is it's now a quarter of the price, a 'hybrid' camera is a tougher sell when you can get a D750 and Z6 for the same price.

Not fair but realistic, if you can get a D850 for a similar price that's the current reality of the situation. A few years ago it would have been a different matter but it's being released now so has to contend with competition from super cheap D750's, cheaper Z6's, almost on par D850's and other products like the A73.
I get that. Let’s hope the price becomes more realistic within 6 months. I’d be disappointed if I couldn’t buy a grey one for less than £1500 within a few months.

I'll wait to see what it produces before thinking of changing.
And no dedicated grip but there is a wired one (photo from nikon rumors) Nikon-D780-camera-8.jpeg

Back