Will used D750s become cheaper after the rumoured January release of the D780?...

It looks good in terms of features, to me, but needed to be about £1600 to catch the market as some have said elsewhere. I'd reckon it's about 8-9 months too late, and needed to be out in spring 2019 to be bought by wedding toggers and those wanting an updated DSLR who weren't really comfy with mirrorless and looking forward to spring/summer photography. Many of those will now have A7IIIs, with a few having bought Z6s.

TBH I'm not sure why someone would buy a D780 for £2199 when you can get a D850 for £300 more. I haven't compared specs but the resolution difference is so huge...

100 fold this. 24mp is pretty tepid - I think if they'd put the 36mp sensor from the old D810 it could be a really interesting proposition - that said the D850 is best 35mm format SLR digital camera going

Last edited:
that said the D850 is best 35mm format SLR digital camera going

Its certainly not for Weddings, and very few actually will ever use, let alone need, that level of resolution

Back to the D780 - I don't seen anything really that'd make me jump from a D750, so if I was to buy another DSLR I'd save myself a lot of money and just buy another D750

Dave

Its certainly not for Weddings, and very few actually will ever use, let alone need, that level of resolution

Back to the D780 - I don't seen anything really that'd make me jump from a D750, so if I was to buy another DSLR I'd save myself a lot of money and just buy another D750

Dave

Life at 100% view is a lot better with the 36mp over the 24mp nevermind the 45mp. Maybe it's just me but I get immense pleasure from 100% view and feasting on all the the fine details within the shot then zooming out.

I sell a chunk on agency sites and through my own site and the extra res really helps ;)

But I do landscape and travel. TBH I am toying with medium format digital and one of these 100mp things but money just isn't there and I doubt it would open up additional commercial success for me. Shame as 100% preview must be a visual feast on one of those :D

i hope the d750's drop like a stone. They won't but i'd like to upgrade my d600 ( a flippy screen, better rear screen, better AF would all be helpful for me )

Life at 100% view is a lot better with the 36mp over the 24mp nevermind the 45mp. Maybe it's just me but I get immense pleasure from 100% view and feasting on all the the fine details within the shot then zooming out.

I sell a chunk on agency sites and through my own site and the extra res really helps ;)

But I do landscape and travel. TBH I am toying with medium format digital and one of these 100mp things but money just isn't there and I doubt it would open up additional commercial success for me. Shame as 100% preview must be a visual feast on one of those :D

If I was doing big prints I'd want to go MF too :)

Dave

E-infinity are doing them for £ 789, that's a heck of a lot of camera for the money!
i hope the d750's drop like a stone. They won't but i'd like to upgrade my d600 ( a flippy screen, better rear screen, better AF would all be helpful for me )

What do you class as big prints?

Bigger than 4-5ft wide - and yes I know 24mp is actually big enough for that when normal viewing distance is taken into account, but if I was printing that big I'd also like to appeal to the nerd who would still go stick their noses on it :D

Dave

Bigger than 4-5ft wide - and yes I know 24mp is actually big enough for that when normal viewing distance is taken into account, but if I was printing that big I'd also like to appeal to the nerd who would still go stick their noses on it :D

Dave

That nerd is me. Perhaps it's the autism in me but I edit the picture - then check at 100% to ensure the shadow detail etc is still there. I do it all in curves/levels and not with sliders and set the black/white points just out side the histogram - and then recheck at 100% making sure the details are there - the 24mp camera's just don't have it compared to the 36mp (the bare minimum) I would expect from a camera costing this. I love looking at the very fine details the camera can resolve - the detail fascinates me. D850 or the one after it - or medium format next. Even if I never printed I would want this big res - it's part of my enjoyment. if 100% view never existed I'd be happy with 12mp probably...

Over £2000 for a camera with 24mp - Nikon are having a laugh with this one.

That nerd is me. Perhaps it's the autism in me but I edit the picture - then check at 100% to ensure the shadow detail etc is still there. I do it all in curves/levels and not with sliders and set the black/white points just out side the histogram - and then recheck at 100% making sure the details are there - the 24mp camera's just don't have it compared to the 36mp (the bare minimum) I would expect from a camera costing this. I love looking at the very fine details the camera can resolve - the detail fascinates me. D850 or the one after it - or medium format next. Even if I never printed I would want this big res - it's part of my enjoyment. if 100% view never existed I'd be happy with 12mp probably...

I can appreciate the nerdiness of that :)

But I counter any MF desires of my own by the realisation I really don't need that kind of resolution for my work, so it'd be a daft business decision to spend many thousands of £s when the biggest print I ever see of mine is a double-page album spread, and even then its only around A3; the VAST majority of my images are never printed bigger than A4

Dave

That really depends on usage, a D800 is crap at action/sports vs a 1dx/d5/a9.

Sure, but nobody has a billboard and a viewing distance of 2,500 ft in their home. High detail shots will be printed at around 300dpi and viewed from a couple ft. 12 x 16" @ 300dpi is 19MP.
No it was more of a flippant comment at those thinking 24mp is insufficient.

That really depends on usage, a D800 is crap at action/sports vs a 1dx/d5/a9.

So is the D850, if it's a dynamic shot the D5 (or D500) come out to play:)

GC

So is the D850, if it's a dynamic shot the D5 (or D500) come out to play:)

GC
I wouldn't say the D850 is bad at sports/action, in fact far from it, it's just not quite as good as the D5 or D500. I had no trouble shooting sports and/or wildlife with the D850 (y)

I wouldn't say the D850 is bad at sports/action, in fact far from it, it's just not quite as good as the D5 or D500. I had no trouble shooting sports and/or wildlife with the D850 (y)

It does look a very good improvement over the d800.

Not everyone judges cameras on mp/£, and if the D780 had more mega pixies it would probably be even more expensive!

I wouldn't say it was good either! I've never shot sports or wildlife so maybe it's ok for them:)

GC

I wouldn't say it was good either! I've never shot sports or wildlife so maybe it's ok for them:)

GC
I'm a bit confused by this tbh, how you say whether it's good or bad for sports/wildlife if you've never shot them with it? (y)

I'm a bit confused by this tbh, how you say whether it's good or bad for sports/wildlife if you've never shot them with it? (y)

I didn't say I'd shot sports or wildlife! I said I use the D5 (and D500) for my dynamic/action work!

Don't get me wrong, I like the D850 and use it for static/tame subjects all the time.

GC

I didn't say I'd shot sports or wildlife! I said I use the D5 (and D500) for my dynamic/action work!

Don't get me wrong, I like the D850 and use it for static/tame subjects all the time.

GC
I know but you've commented saying that the D850 isn't good for action/sports (I include wildlife as action) but then you say you haven't shot these things with it, so I'm wondering why you think it's no good for them if you've never used it for this?

I know but you've commented saying that the D850 isn't good for action/sports (I include wildlife as action) but then you say you haven't shot these things with it, so I'm wondering why you think it's no good for them if you've never used it for this?

If you read what I actually wrote you'll see the phrase "so maybe it's ok for them" vis a vis sports and wildlife.

I still stand by my original comment that for action work the D5 and D500 are my tools of choice!

GC

If you read what I actually wrote you'll see the phrase "so maybe it's ok for them" vis a vis sports and wildlife.

I still stand by my original comment that for action work the D5 and D500 are my tools of choice!

GC
I can understand the D5 and D500 being the tools of choice tbh, just don't agree the D850 is bad at action/sports/dynamic shots/wildlife etc. But that's obviously just my opinion (y)

I can understand the D5 and D500 being the tools of choice tbh, just don't agree the D850 is bad at action/sports/dynamic shots/wildlife etc. But that's obviously just my opinion (y)

I think we'll have to agree to differ, no problem at all in that(y)

Like I said I've never shot wildlife or sports but do shoot a load of fast paced action stuff. The issues I have are the AF acquisition and tracking are noticeably slower on the D850 than on the D5 plus the big one is buffering/slowing after c 12 frames. Yes I know I could drop resolution etc but what's the point of the high MP camera if I need to reduce it?

That said, I love the D850 paired to the 24mm tilt/shift for building work.

Horses for courses, right tool for the job etc.

GC

Not just your opinion :)

I think we'll have to agree to differ, no problem at all in that(y)

Like I said I've never shot wildlife or sports but do shoot a load of fast paced action stuff. The issues I have are the AF acquisition and tracking are noticeably slower on the D850 than on the D5 plus the big one is buffering/slowing after c 12 frames. Yes I know I could drop resolution etc but what's the point of the high MP camera if I need to reduce it?

That said, I love the D850 paired to the 24mm tilt/shift for building work.

Horses for courses, right tool for the job etc.

GC
Nope no problem at all. TBH if you own the D5 I can understand why you feel the way you do about the D850 as it obviously won't feel as good to you. I'm surprised at the buffer though, I used to get around 20-25 shots at 14 bit RAW before the buffer slowed, and that was using the slower M series Sony XQD.

Nope no problem at all. TBH if you own the D5 I can understand why you feel the way you do about the D850 as it obviously won't feel as good to you. I'm surprised at the buffer though, I used to get around 20-25 shots at 14 bit RAW before the buffer slowed, and that was using the slower M series Sony XQD.

I'm using Sony G series, the buffer/slowing issue is with the 300MB/s SD back up in slot 2.

Repeating myself I know but I do like the D850 and find it just fine on slower action shots like the one below:

40941252473_3e71182e63_b.jpg

GC

According to LCE, Nikon are offering up their stock of demo and training D750 bodies ia LCE (and maybe other places) at very reasonable prices. I just picked one up with less than 10k shutter actuations for a shade under £600 - it looks like new :)

Back