WillJ's Photo 52 - Week 10 - 'Trio' now added!

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Links to photo's:

Week 1: Accommodation
Week 2 - New
Week 3 - Style
Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Hard (This post)
Week 6 - Clutter
Week 7 - Delicate
Week 8 - Chaos
Week 9 - Finish
Week 10 - Trio

Right, here's the start of my Photo52 project. I will try to complete some previous weeks to catch up so that I do the full project.

I'm new to photography and only got my first DSLR a week ago, so all C&C's welcome! I am doing this project for development purposes but also for fun and to be creative.

Here's my attempt at Week 5 - 'Hard':

Week 5 - Hard by W.James, on Flickr

I struggled to think of something to do for this theme so I just gave it a shot!

Two elements of 'hard':

• The sudoku was in the 'Hard' section (and some will say they are quite hard to complete!)
  • The diamond in my girlfriend's ring is 'hard' - 'hardest rock in the world'?

I did a bit of PP (which I'm also very new to) by playing around with sharpness and colour, and some vignetting to give it a bit of a traditional effect. No reason for this, just thought it looked better :D

Last edited:
Nice take on the theme, dof is very good and the clarity of the ring is good, though a pity the numbers from the back of the page bleed through as that for me ruins the sudoku part of it

Thanks for the comments all.

Nice take on the theme, dof is very good and the clarity of the ring is good, though a pity the numbers from the back of the page bleed through as that for me ruins the sudoku part of it

That's a fair point yes - I tried to use the clone tool and healing brush in PS but I couldn't seem to get rid of them without it being obvious that I'd done it - maybe it's because I'm not good with photoshop! I can't seem to get the full hang of the healing brush or clone tool in certain situations.

Nice take on the theme. The only think. Would change is to use a shallower DOF and focus just around the ring but blur out the rest of the puzzle.

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Hard shot looks slightly under exposed to me... I like the idea... but I just am not warming to the shot... but that's from a purely personal preference! And yeh the bleeding numbers are annoying!

Here is my photo for 'clutter' - I struggled with the theme this week so just did something random - a clutter of letters!

Week 6 - Clutter by W.James, on Flickr

The PP I did was black & white the whole photo, bring 100% colour back on 'CLUTTER' and 30%(ish) on the rest of the letters.

C&C's welcome!

Will.

Last edited:
The simple ones, if you know what I mean, often work well.

It would have been easy, and boring, to use selective colour on this one and I'm glad you didn't.

I didn't see the clutter straight away, I saw 'fab', strange...

Sudoku, now there's something I just don't see the interest.

Now, get on with week's 1 through 4...;)

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

I did try selective colouring to start with but it just didn't look right, thought it would be better with them just a bit more vibrant than the rest.

Yeah I'll try and catch up as soon as poss :)

Will.

Hi Will

thats a really "neat idea" for Clutter (y) & the slightly stronger colors on the word clutter work just right,great shot

Hiya Will,

First of all welcome to the Photo52 you have made a good start and hopefully you will be able to catch up the previous weeks, which I look forward to seeing the photos.

Week 5: I can see your thought process but agree with other comments made.

Week 6: A clever use of the magnets and like the way you have the word clutter, cluttered by the other letters.

Good luck with the rest of the project.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn,

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated :)

I am planning on catching up soon it's just finding the time to fit it in, but I will have some catch up photo's on here next week.

I know the photo's so far aren't great. For example, with regards to Week 5, with hindsight I should've blocked out the numbers from the other side but this is why I appreciate the feedback from everyone as this is a big learning curve for me - hopefully improvements will show in photo's that I post throughout the year.

For Week 6, nothing seemed to work when I tried photographing my actual clutter around the house so thought I would try something random/different. I always try to think outside the box and hopefully this will also show throughout the year.

I would, however, like to improve my skills just from taking 'normal' photo's as well as 'random' ones in terms of it being good photography rather than a good idea, if you see what I mean.

Will :D

As I've had some catching up to do due to not getting my camera until end of Jan, here are my photo's for Week 2 - New, Week 3 - Style, and Week 7 - Delicate.

I will be fully caught up by the end of Week 8 :D

Week 2 - New

My girlfriend went to a German market not long ago and came home with this - A handmade Hiawatha incense burner...it's NEW :D

Week 2 - New by W.James, on Flickr

Week 3 - Style

This is my girlfriend's Pandora bracelet she got for Christmas. I thought I'd try and capture the detail of the charms but it's not as sharp and all in focus as much as I'd like.

Week 3 - Style by W.James, on Flickr

Week 7 - Delicate

As I started trying to make a DIY mini-studio yesterday, I thought I'd test some lighting scenarios out on a light bulb for this week's submission. Ideally I wouldn't want the fingers in there - I'd like it to look like the light bulb is floating but my skills or knowledge do not stretch this far (yet!). However, I do think that because I darkened out the fingers they help add some emphasis on the light bulb.

Week 7 - Delicate by W.James, on Flickr

As always, any feedback will be greatly appreciated as all types of photography are still very new to me.

Thanks for looking :)

Will.

Hiya Will,

Well done for catching up, you have been busy.

Week 2: Had to laugh at this one, it is classic and love the way the smoke is coming out of the mouth. Only thing is ..... what is all the blur around the figure?

Week 3: A lovely bracelet. There is quite a bit of light reflection on some of the silver pieces, although they don't distract too much. I like the subtle vignette too.

Week 7: Nice take on the theme, and indeed they can be very delicate. Agree about the fingers, although I can't think of a way to make it look like it is floating, except for if you had to use some bluetac at the bottom to make it stand upright, and somehow continue the background as the base too. I am sure there will be others who come along with other suggestions. BTW I love the colour of the background, what did you use?

You mention you have started making a bit of a DIY studio, I would be keen to hear what you are using to create this (if you don't mind sharing your setup ideas) as I am looking at doing the same and am looking for some ideas.

Overall a fab catchup and I look forward to seeing your future photos for the project.

Cheers

Hiya Will,

Well done for catching up, you have been busy.

Week 2: Had to laugh at this one, it is classic and love the way the smoke is coming out of the mouth. Only thing is ..... what is all the blur around the figure?

Hi Dawn, again, thank you for the feedback. Are you referring to the black background? If so it is where I used the burn tool in photoshop to make the background all the same tone of black.

Week 3: A lovely bracelet. There is quite a bit of light reflection on some of the silver pieces, although they don't distract too much. I like the subtle vignette too.

Yes the reflection is something I struggled a lot with when taking this, I couldn't seem to find a way of getting rid of them - only thing I suppose I could do is to put black card around the areas of reflection to reduce the overexposed parts?

Week 7: Nice take on the theme, and indeed they can be very delicate. Agree about the fingers, although I can't think of a way to make it look like it is floating, except for if you had to use some bluetac at the bottom to make it stand upright, and somehow continue the background as the base too. I am sure there will be others who come along with other suggestions. BTW I love the colour of the background, what did you use?

You mention you have started making a bit of a DIY studio, I would be keen to hear what you are using to create this (if you don't mind sharing your setup ideas) as I am looking at doing the same and am looking for some ideas.

Yes that is a good idea about the blu tac, if I have time this week I'll try it out and post on general photo sharing. For the background I used an A1 piece of white pastel card (£2.50 from art shop), which gently curves up and leans against a wall. I then adjusted the white balance when I opened the RAW image in photoshop until it had a kind of ice blue effect (just thought it looked better than the original). Here's the original just to show what PP I did:

For the setup, I got my inspiration from Steve (http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveblackdog/)

My setup was a bit like his for the green bottle photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveblackdog/5444478397/). The differences I had are: no black card behind the bulb (just white backdrop), I used desk lamps with 20W energy saving bulbs instead of Steve's pringles snoot and I diffused the light through 2 pieces of tracing paper onto the white backdrop. If I get a chance to try the blu tac setup I'll take a picture of the setup for you. I didn't use a particular photo of his to do the setup, but his all of his photo's have given me ideas to which I've customised a little bit. I've used the green bottle setup as a close example.

Delicate, that's a great photograph - the sharpness is amazing.

What pp was done, if any?

Hi Andy, thank you for your comments. As above, I just changed the white balance with the adjustment menu that comes up when I open the RAW image in photoshop, and raised the sharpness slightly.

Was the slight tilt intended?

No the tilt wasn't intended initially when taking the photograph but I did notice it in photoshop. I thought I'd keep it as it's not too bad and it probably emphasises the fact it's being held too?

Last edited:
For only having your camera a couple of weeks you are doing incredibly well! (y)

#1 - I like the idea but it just doesn't do it for me, perhaps a little underexposed
#2 - Is good, I like the black background and it's perfectly exposed
#3 - As you said could be a little sharper but a good image all the same!
#6 - I love this image :clap: I didn't even notice the word "CLUTTER" written at first, very creative!
#7 - Good pp here, love the ice blue background and the overall sharpness of this image.

A very good start indeed (y)

<snip> Hi Dawn, again, thank you for the feedback. Are you referring to the black background? If so it is where I used the burn tool in photoshop to make the background all the same tone of black.

If I get a chance to try the blu tac setup I'll take a picture of the setup for you. I didn't use a particular photo of his to do the setup, but his all of his photo's have given me ideas to which I've customised a little bit. I've used the green bottle setup as a close example. <snip>

Hiya Will,

Yes I was referring to the black background, especially around the nose and eyebrows where it is more noticable.

Thanks for the links to the setup and also the explanation of what you did differently to achieve the result. I would be interested to see how your reshoot goes using the blu tac and your setup for same - good luck.

Cheers

Hiya Will,

Yes I was referring to the black background, especially around the nose and eyebrows where it is more noticable.

Hi Dawn,

You must've thought I was being stupid when I asked about the blur....I went on my Flickr on another computer today and saw all the blur (it was obvious) on the photo....but now I'm on my computer no blur is showing at all....I don't understand why? Is everyone else seeing the blur? Could it be my monitor calabration?

Will.

Hi Dawn,

You must've thought I was being stupid when I asked about the blur....I went on my Flickr on another computer today and saw all the blur (it was obvious) on the photo....but now I'm on my computer no blur is showing at all....I don't understand why? Is everyone else seeing the blur? Could it be my monitor calabration?

Will.

Hiya Will,

No, I didn't think you were being 'stupid' (as you put it), perhaps my initial question was a bit vague. I'm glad you can see what I was referring to. I have had a look on another monitor too, and it I can still see it there. So perhaps there is something amiss with your computer monitor (maybe calibration :shrug:) - I'm not too clued up on these things, so can't offer much advice.

It would be interesting to know if others can have a look and see if they can see the 'blur' around the figure :thinking: If you want, I can see if I can clone the blur to see if it looks any different to you on your monitor, then you will have a comparison?

Cheers

OK sorry, I merely meant it as a figure of speech :)

Yes it could be the calibration, however I changed it when I installed Photoshop CS5 to the recommended one (I'm not too clued up on the monitor calibration thing!), but funny how I can also see the blur on my girlfriend's laptop.

Yes that is a good idea! If it will take up too much of your time I don't mind doing it.

Regards,

Will. :D

Hiya Will,

I did a quick clone to remove some of the blur around the figure:

5476670481_c1c2a04433_o.jpg

Just say if you want me to remove the image.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn :)

It looks no different on my monitor but when I go on another laptop I can definitely see the difference.

Will.

Thanks Dawn :)

It looks no different on my monitor but when I go on another laptop I can definitely see the difference.

Will.

Hiya Will,

You are welcome. I think you maybe have get your monitor checked out. But what I find strange is how it only seems to be on this image :thinking:

Hmmm, very confusing. Anyhoo at least you can see what I was referring to when you view the image on another screen :shrug:

Moving on ..... can't wait to see what week 9's theme is, so I can get started on that one :D

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your next photos.

Cheers

Week 1 - Accommodation

After this weekend, I will finally be fully caught up with the themes for Photo52 :)

Here is my submission for 'Accommodation'. It is a house in the middle of some woods near Bristol....it's always made me think why it's even there as the woods are a public place and there's one house in the middle of nowhere with people living in it......anyway....I can't decide which one I like best so I thought I'd post them all (am I allowed to do that?)

Which one do you think is best?

Week 1 - Accommodation by W.James, on Flickr

C&C's welcome!

Will :D.

Week 4 - Open

This is my submission for Week 4 - 'Open'. I went to a park the other day and noticed that this tree was the only one in the middle of the field/grass.......so you could say it was out in the OPEN.

Week 4 - Open by W.James, on Flickr

C&C's welcome.

Hiya Will,

I wouldn't mind a little house in the woods :D Although I suppose I can't complain as I live facing the woods :LOL:

Perhaps the people who own the house own the woodlands, but keep it open to the public, which I think is a good thing in some respects.

As for your pics, I have to say I prefer #3 and #5. 3 because I like the b&w with the vignette and 5 because of the way the framing gives it a cottage appeal.

#1 isn't too bad, did you do some HDR processing on this one?

#2 seems to lack something, not sure what and also I think the sky is a tad OE'ed

#4 doesn't do it at all for me, sorry. Mainly because the the rest of the image is still visible through the frame and the it looks a tad too dark. Perhaps if the frame was totally black it would look better :shrug:

Otherwise I think you have done a great job.

Cheers

Hiya Will,

You posted Week 4 as I was replying to week 1 .... you have been a busy bee :LOL:

I really like week 4 for the colours and that is one gorgeous looking tree, also love the blue cloudy sky. I just think that by using a tight crop is loosing a bit of the 'openess' you were trying to convey and perhaps a bit more space around the tree would portray that sense.

Otherwise a lovely photo :clap:

Cheers

Hi William,

I actually think #1 would look good in HDR, but don't ask me how to do it, because I've never done one before :LOL: I actually like #5 as well, looks almost like it was taken with a fish eye lens.

Thanks Steve (y)

Hiya Will,

#1 isn't too bad, did you do some HDR processing on this one?

Hi Dawn, as always thank you for the feedback :D No I haven't done any HDR toning in any of the images, just added some vibrance, sharpness, etc and a 'paint overlay' vignette in Photoshop.

#2 seems to lack something, not sure what and also I think the sky is a tad OE'ed

Yep completely agree, that's the original with some added vibrance, sharpness etc...it does look bare and that's why I added the vignetting to the other photos. I think it gives the house some character.

Otherwise I think you have done a great job.

You posted Week 4 as I was replying to week 1 .... you have been a busy bee :LOL:

Lol I am currently PP'ing my Week 8 - Chaos photo so I'll be up to date before the end of tonight.

I really like week 4 for the colours and that is one gorgeous looking tree, also love the blue cloudy sky. I just think that by using a tight crop is loosing a bit of the 'openess' you were trying to convey and perhaps a bit more space around the tree would portray that sense.

Otherwise a lovely photo :clap:

Thanks. Yes that is a good point, I have a landscape version of the shot but I haven't done any PP - I'm sure that would fit the theme much better.

Open, the tight crop does remove some of the openness of this one. Good overall colours, though.

I'm going go for '#1 in accommodation. #4 and #5 not for me.

I'd like to see one taken from further to the right using the stairs to lead you up the garden path....(sorry!!)

Cheers.

Open, the tight crop does remove some of the openness of this one. Good overall colours, though.

I'd like to see one taken from further to the right using the stairs to lead you up the garden path....(sorry!!)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Week 8 - Chaos

Here is my 'Chaos' submission. I've been thinking about what I could do for this theme and for me it's been the hardest yet.

I had an idea today that money could be thought of as a huge source of chaos - lack of it, abuse of having too much of it, the power that it gives to people. I took the shot of the coins, then another idea came into my head.....

The way I thought about this in the end is that there is so much chaos out on the streets - voilence, drugs, crime, etc. Obviously this is worldwide, but something that's getting worse all the time in the UK, so I thought about what I could put into a picture to symbolise this chaos on the streets in the UK.

The picture tries to show the vicious circle of drugs, violence and money. The money photo is larger than the other two as I thought of it as the main driver of this chaos - people need money for drugs --> they get addicted to these drugs --> they then need more money for drugs so resort to voilence/crime......knife crime, as you know, is also now on the rise in the UK.

Hope you understand the thought process behind this picture, and all C&C's welcome as per usual :)

Week 8 - Chaos by W.James, on Flickr

Hiya Will,

I can see where you are coming from this this pic, BUT I think it is a bit too much in depth and clutters the thought process.

Personally, I think you would have done well with just the 'money' shot. It has great texture and DOF

I'm a bit put off by the knife and pills images in the 'triptych' and even though from your storyboard can understand why you includeded same, I just don't think they add to the image.

Cheers

Hiya Will,

I can see where you are coming from this this pic, BUT I think it is a bit too much in depth and clutters the thought process.

Personally, I think you would have done well with just the 'money' shot. It has great texture and DOF

I'm a bit put off by the knife and pills images in the 'triptych' and even though from your storyboard can understand why you includeded same, I just don't think they add to the image.

Hi Dawn,

That's fair enough, I thought it was a good representation of chaos that some people are experiencing everyday in certain parts of the country/world. But everyone has their own opinion and I'm very grateful for the feedback :) Just to clarify, the drugs shot is of a load of Sainsbury's multivitamins :LOL:

Hi Dawn,

That's fair enough, I thought it was a good representation of chaos that some people are experiencing everyday in certain parts of the country/world. But everyone has their own opinion and I'm very grateful for the feedback :) Just to clarify, the drugs shot is of a load of Sainsbury's multivitamins :LOL:

:LOL: Thanks, for understanding ;)

Oh yes, glad you clarified about the multivits .....would hate to think you were dealing in contraband :LOL:

Cheers

Back