Win 10 Tower recommendations

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Wife needs a new Win 10pc, we have monitor,keyboard, mouse etc so just need the tower- she has a Dell at the moment probably eight years old,this has been a good machine but needs upgrading!
Should she go for another Dell for around £350 or is there better value elsewhere? Only used for web surfing and word processing so nothing fancy needed.
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

For such straightforward usage that is neither cpu , ram, or indeed any other hardware reason needing more "horsepower" why is the upgrade needed or desired?

Yes, we all like new kit and as photographers will be needed as greater demand is put on the PC or Mac but in this case???

If the machine is only used for word processing/web surfing, what is it? Can it be upgraded?
I might only be SATA 2, but an SSD can make quite a difference, as can a bit more RAM.

Failing that:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zm88XH

For such straightforward usage that is neither cpu , ram, or indeed any other hardware reason needing more "horsepower" why is the upgrade needed or desired?

Yes, we all like new kit and as photographers will be needed as greater demand is put on the PC or Mac but in this case???

The machine is old,sluggish and clogged up with loads of files we no longer need, plus is running Vista- we just want to start from fresh if that makes sense, also I'm not into upgrading pc's - its all abit out of my league tbh

I'd go with the Dell.

You are not going to get a built desktop with win 10 for much less than £350 elsewhere.

Have a look here: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Desktop-PC?price=300+TO+400

At this price point it's all about what trade-off you're willing to accept. Want a faster processor - you'll be limited to 4GB RAM. Want more RAM/larger HDD - you'll get a slower processor. If you were the kind that didn't mind upgrading then I'd suggest also picking up a 128GB SSD & installing W10 + software on that for more responsiveness.

Back