wind noise reduction

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
i have been trying out some of my wind noice reduction mUfflers (deadcats) this morning.the best I have is one made by Gutmanns. This test is with an external microphone. I was going to do an outside test but it is raining hard.,Sso next best was in front of a desk fan
Below the first part or the vidoe is without a dead cat and the second half is with this one

84C1eOE.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEkZ_S3V7o

Note the sound of the fan is clearer and the rumble nearly gone and the mike wind noise reducer not on

Last edited:
Do you not get a lot of camera noise (zooming, etc) from that very impressive mic mounting system? :ROFLMAO:

Not with a camcorder , but with a camera in manual mode no noise . However using those spacers keeping the mike away from a camera in auto focus certainly helps

Those spacers are cheap enough and seem to do the trick

I used these Cold Hot Shoe Camera Mount Adapter and a couple of addons to heighten away from camera

zArYg3P.jpg

This link may help

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Femle-Adap...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GFXFVE6WSX03YJFJN1Z0

Last edited:
101 uses of a dead cat... ;)

Edit Oops! already mentioned...

Last edited:
Peter the problem with the Nikon D800 is the microphone is right next to the lens

OEXBm4W.jpg

Those 3 holes below the D800 sign can pick up any lens noise. so by using the above gets a mike well away

Last edited:
Cheers Bazza, but I was thinking more of "handling the camera" type noise transmission as you don't appear to have any physical isolation between the mike and camera other than distance.

Raymond try those in the link I posted they don't cost much

Last edited:
You can stack a few GoPro mount links together to generate a springy gap as a sound isolator. Look at some of the accessory packs on Amazon that are around a fiver/tenner and you'll find several options.

The little Rode mic I have can pick up the focus noise from my canon 35Lmkii.
Yes the canon USM motor lenses are pretty noisy.

The STM motors are so much better and the on camera mic won't pick anything up.

Last edited:
aFZl219.jpg

As you can see, the microphone is actually mounted on two rubber supports.This I guess helps stop any transfer noise from handholding the camera. if that is what you mean Peter.
This microphone take one AAA battery.

I also have a 15ft extn lead if I want to have the mike well away from the camera. This allows me to place the mike out of exessive wind noise if outside, or close to a speaker of voice recording

By the way, in that first photo i have to raise it that amount on the camcorder so the deadcat fur doesn't get infront of the lens, That is the only reason as the hairs a quite long

Last edited:
I use a Rode Videomic with a Lyre shockmount which insulates the mic from the camera, and a dead cat solves the wind problem, well for the mic at least :D

Back