Wind Power Generation...

We have two at Ford's Dagenham, alot bigger than that(they were the biggest in the UK when they were built, might still be) no problems with those. They are supposed to be building a third which will have a viewing platform near the top.
Dagenham%20Ford_copyright%20ecotricity%20600.jpg

Don't they normally angle the blades so they won't spin if the wind gets too high?! Not something you see every day though, but odd someone was pointing a camera at it at the time!

There is currently a determined effort by the green brigade to ruin our beautiful countryside up here in Northumberland with these monstrosities:annoyed:

Don't they normally angle the blades so they won't spin if the wind gets too high?! Not something you see every day though, but odd someone was pointing a camera at it at the time!

I think it was knowingly out of control...but agree not something you choose to film. There is also a news clip on Youtube somewhere with different footage of the same subject...just that its in Norwegian I think...

From the descriptions on You Tube (Quoting high accurate sources here!) the "braking system" failed.

I "thought" in periods of high winds the blades were turned so the wind mill effect is reduced...I dont know the nature of the clip or why it happened..or why for that matter anyone was filming it...

hmm is possible, have seen loads of windmills stopped in high winds, and yes they would feather the blades like a prop plane does to stop them spinning, if the braking system failed it may mean that feathering didnt happen. Is well messy either way lol

From the descriptions on You Tube (Quoting high accurate sources here!) the "braking system" failed.

I "thought" in periods of high winds the blades were turned so the wind mill effect is reduced...I dont know the nature of the clip or why it happened..or why for that matter anyone was filming it...

Ooops :D I may have been a "test to destruction" :shrug:

There is currently a determined effort by the green brigade to ruin our beautiful countryside up here in Northumberland with these monstrosities:annoyed:

What would you rathe have a coal fired power station or a nuclear one?

If anywhere in the country is capable of hosting a wind farm without it affecting too large a population it's northumberland, probably the most rural and sparsly populated county in the country.

Does anyone know if the off shore farm off Skegness is up and running. I was there last summer and they were finishing the footings.

Like Kev M says...coal fired or nuclear. Wind farms are the future. Quick to build, clean and safe to get rid of.

I wonder if the locals raised a fuss when "old fashioned" wind mills were being built every where a few hundred years ago....

If anywhere in the country is capable of hosting a wind farm without it affecting too large a population it's northumberland, probably the most rural and sparsly populated county in the country.

Unless you live there of course :D

......I wonder if the locals raised a fuss when "old fashioned" wind mills were being built every where a few hundred years ago....

I doubt it as they would have been put to death by the laird / lord Hmmm............... :D
there's nothing like democracy :LOL:

Does anyone know if the off shore farm off Skegness is up and running. I was there last summer and they were finishing the footings.

Like Kev M says...coal fired or nuclear. Wind farms are the future. Quick to build, clean and safe to get rid of.

I wonder if the locals raised a fuss when "old fashioned" wind mills were being built every where a few hundred years ago....
Perhaps that would be the solution, make them look like the old conventional windmills.
The two windmills at Dagenham produce enough power to supply the factory and 30,000 homes. They can be seen from miles around and I've never heard anyone complain about them yet. A few years back I went and stood at the foot of one and looked up. It was very hard to keep my balance for some reason,and no I hadn't been drinking. :LOL:

What would you rathe have a coal fired power station or a nuclear one?

Yeah Kev, your dead right, place them where they do not affect too many people, how selfish and inconsiderate of me for not thinking of the majority:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Yeah Kev, your dead right, place them where they do not affect too many people, how selfish and inconsiderate of me for not thinking of the majority:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Come on then what's the solution? Seems you've got no answers to the problems the world is facing you'd just rather keep going as we are.

Nuclear power, nice and clean until it goes wrong or you need to get rid of it at the end of it's life or replace the power station.

Coal power, not a good idea, it doesn't matter how clean we can make it to burn (and do we really want to pump the fumes into the ground?) we have no coal industry, we can't afford to re-establish it, nobody in this day and age would want to do it which means shipping it in from places like china so then we rely on the russians to heat us and the chinese to light us. Perfect.

Solar power? Hello, this is England.

Wave power? Not as efficient as other sources of power.

Hydro-electric. Well seeing as half the country is regurlay flooded anyway lets just dam the rivers, flood them permanantly and get us some green energy.

Hydro-electric. Well seeing as half the country is regurlay flooded anyway lets just dam the rivers, flood them permanantly and get us some green energy.

We shouldn't really need to dam anymore rivers. There are plenty with dams already. Why aren't we trying to use the energy of water leaving our reservoirs. It would seem an obvious place to start, we are not short of water. (well we are ok until May and they decide we need a hosepipe ban!)

Or is it impratical? I'm sure they use a fair bit of Hyro-electric power in Austria, can we not learn something from them. They manage to keep their roads open in the snow as well!!

Perhaps Brussels will tell us what to do like they do with everything else.

Retrofitting power generators to an existing reservoir is probably more work than starting from scratch I'd imagine.

Ah but has anybody actually thought about it. We may never know. What about a set up which uses the outlet pipes?

A lot of the old mills used to be powered by water. Can't help but think that they were on to something.

Perhaps whoever is doing the thinking is just being too blinkered and only considering wind power at the moment.

What do I know I just sit here booking rooms all day.

they want to build a wind farm on the white cliffs here in dover.:shrug:eek:r in the straits of dover somewere.

so then we rely on the russians to heat us and the chinese to light us. Perfect.
We already do to a certain extent, well Russia anyway, them and Norway.

Solar power? Hello, this is England.
Next time someone refers to the UK as England I'm going to get that wall built again :p

At the same time destroying thousands of hectares of natural habitat, submerging communities etc. There are very few suitable locations for run of river generation left. More pumped storage may possibly be an option but that works out pretty much neutral in terms of energy production.

Come on then what's the solution?
A sensible mix. Utilise the green options where it's practical and sensible to do so but incorporate that with other more reliable options including nuclear.

We already do to a certain extent, well Russia anyway, them and Norway.

Exactly my point mate, so why would we make things worse by becoming more dependant? Gas we can't do much about, electricity we can.

Next time someone refers to the UK as England I'm going to get that wall built again :p

It was more to do with the reference to northumberland than anything else but I get your point. Still, doesn't matter how much you protest your still just one of our colonies ;)

At the same time destroying thousands of hectares of natural habitat, submerging communities etc. There are very few suitable locations for run of river generation left. More pumped storage may possibly be an option but that works out pretty much neutral in terms of energy production.

The deliberate flooding of large parts of mostly southern england was sarcasm too. I tend not to use smileys much as most miss the point of them anyway. Still it might reduce the problem of 2nd homes pushing house prices up ;).

A sensible mix. Utilise the green options where it's practical and sensible to do so but incorporate that with other more reliable options including nuclear.

Totally agree, the problem is nobody wants it in their back yard, fact is it's got to go somewhere and the countryside may have to be used to save the planet rather than save the scenery.

Hmmm, now that I think about it......... :p ;)

Great Idea Dod (y) get that bloody wall rebuilt all around the top half of the UK and fill it with water :p

What was the question again ? :D

Back