Windows 10 Home N and Canon Cameras

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently moved my OS to an SSD and installed a fresh version of Windows 10 Home N which is activated. I have tried to connect both of my Canon cameras via USB - a 60D and a 70D, and whilst Windows detects them, I can't access images on the SD cards as they are coming up with exclamation marks in the device manager. I have tried looking for alternative drivers using windows update, but the issue still is not resolved. I have tried different USB cables and USB ports.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I did wonder about trying to install the EOS utility to see if that resolved it, but my disk is somewhere in the loft, and I would rather try and resolve it some other way before venturing up the loft ladder!

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
PhotoBoris
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I solved a similar issue by using a USB micro B cable. If I used the standard USB micro cable, Windows registered the camera connection but it would not recognise it as a Canon and it was not possible to transfer any images.

Chris

OP
OP
PhotoBoris
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Can,t you use an sd slot on the pc.
I don't have one! Got rid of my card reader a couple of years ago for a hot swap bay for backing up my images.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I fixed it in the end. Windows 10 Home M does not have an MTP driver installed by default, so whilst Windows detected the cameras, it did not have the protocols to transfer images from them. I resolved it by finding which build I had (under settings > about - build 1803 fact fans) and then downloading the Media Feature pack for that build of windows. Both cameras are now recognised.

Bloody Microsoft!

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't have one! Got rid of my card reader a couple of years ago for a hot swap bay for backing up my images.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I fixed it in the end. Windows 10 Home M does not have an MTP driver installed by default, so whilst Windows detected the cameras, it did not have the protocols to transfer images from them. I resolved it by finding which build I had (under settings > about - build 1803 fact fans) and then downloading the Media Feature pack for that build of windows. Both cameras are now recognised.

Bloody Microsoft!
What did you think N was? It explicitly removes media support (which you can add back in) and only exists due to EU antitrust legislation from years back...

OP
OP
PhotoBoris
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
What did you think N was? It explicitly removes media support (which you can add back in) and only exists due to EU antitrust legislation from years back...
I knew exactly what N was, and it's a good thing in my view. I didn't know that not having WMP would remove MTP driver support.