Windows 10 Home N and Canon Cameras

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently moved my OS to an SSD and installed a fresh version of Windows 10 Home N which is activated. I have tried to connect both of my Canon cameras via USB - a 60D and a 70D, and whilst Windows detects them, I can't access images on the SD cards as they are coming up with exclamation marks in the device manager. I have tried looking for alternative drivers using windows update, but the issue still is not resolved. I have tried different USB cables and USB ports.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I did wonder about trying to install the EOS utility to see if that resolved it, but my disk is somewhere in the loft, and I would rather try and resolve it some other way before venturing up the loft ladder!

Thanks in advance.

install the drivers for your camera from canons website

I solved a similar issue by using a USB micro B cable. If I used the standard USB micro cable, Windows registered the camera connection but it would not recognise it as a Canon and it was not possible to transfer any images.

Chris

Can,t you use an sd slot on the pc.

Can,t you use an sd slot on the pc.

I don't have one! Got rid of my card reader a couple of years ago for a hot swap bay for backing up my images.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I fixed it in the end. Windows 10 Home M does not have an MTP driver installed by default, so whilst Windows detected the cameras, it did not have the protocols to transfer images from them. I resolved it by finding which build I had (under settings > about - build 1803 fact fans) and then downloading the Media Feature pack for that build of windows. Both cameras are now recognised.

Bloody Microsoft!

I don't have one! Got rid of my card reader a couple of years ago for a hot swap bay for backing up my images.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I fixed it in the end. Windows 10 Home M does not have an MTP driver installed by default, so whilst Windows detected the cameras, it did not have the protocols to transfer images from them. I resolved it by finding which build I had (under settings > about - build 1803 fact fans) and then downloading the Media Feature pack for that build of windows. Both cameras are now recognised.

Bloody Microsoft!

What did you think N was? It explicitly removes media support (which you can add back in) and only exists due to EU antitrust legislation from years back...

What did you think N was? It explicitly removes media support (which you can add back in) and only exists due to EU antitrust legislation from years back...

I knew exactly what N was, and it's a good thing in my view. I didn't know that not having WMP would remove MTP driver support.

Back