Windows 10 photo viewing.

Edit My Images
Yes
I have had Windows 7 with Windows essentials on it. When I click on a photo it is immediatly brought up with Photo gallery & I can flipfrom one photo to another in split seconds. I could also right click & view large icons & choose any photo from that in seconds, I could also do basic editing in photogallery which was more often than not good enough. I have a second laptop with Windows 10. It's an i5 8th gen quad core. I can't find any programme in Windows 10 that is anywhere near as good. The right click to make large icons takes forever. Can anyone advise me on good free software to replace Windows essentials, or better still can it be added.

I have had Windows 7 with Windows essentials on it. When I click on a photo it is immediatly brought up with Photo gallery & I can flipfrom one photo to another in split seconds. I could also right click & view large icons & choose any photo from that in seconds, I could also do basic editing in photogallery which was more often than not good enough. I have a second laptop with Windows 10. It's an i5 8th gen quad core. I can't find any programme in Windows 10 that is anywhere near as good. The right click to make large icons takes forever. Can anyone advise me on good free software to replace Windows essentials, or better still can it be added.

You can download windows photo viewer which is what you will be used too from windows 7 and install on windows 10 then it is just a matter of assigning it to be the preferred program for opening photos. It might be difficult to find the installation file now as it's quite old. You can also install by following these instructions. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-windows-photo-viewer-back-in-windows-10/

Thanks for the help, I will give it a try. I wish they wouldn't muck about with these things.

I wish they wouldn't muck about with these things.
Mucking about is the game. But there's Faststone Image Viewer which is quite nifty and can be downloaded and kept free. It might be better than anything Microsoft can cough up - you can manage colour display space in it for one thing. Microsoft have never been strong on graphics from what I've seen. Their OS's have got pretty good but even there it's hard to forget how they inflicted Windows 95 and 98 on us for years.

Last edited:
Try Faststone.
It is a small independent program, which I use the last few years and very very happy.

Thanks for the two recomendations on Faststone. I'm sure I use Faststone for downsizing photos. I probably need to update it. Incidentally I also have a Macbook Pro, but find the photo viewer on that also a pain to use. Windows Photo Gallery really was the perfect programme for quickly viewing photos & also to do a very quick edit on them.

@droj Thanks for mentioning Faststone. Just downloaded and opened it - ye gods that programme is fast!! Went to the pictures folder on my second drive and woosh they were all there. Well impressed.

Back