Windows 10 update hangs during starting and waking from sleep

Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
Updated yesterday - version 1903.

The symptom seems vaguely familiar, so might've happened previously ...? Hoping it'll cure itself.

Still doing it despite another update and running startup troubleshooter (which found nothing wrong!). I'll soon be reaching for the brick ...

I had that and ended up with corrupted files. In the end I re installed (keeping all my shizz) and it`s been working ok since. PITA I know, but at least it`s fixed for now.

Rolled back the Windows updates, but the problem remained. Updated the graphics driver. No change. Reinstalled the Windows updates. As before.

Of course I've tried googling ...

First, I press the power button on the case to start, it boots to the blue Windows logo centre-screen, and hangs. I power off by holding the case button down for several secs, then press it again, and Windows loads normally.

The same thing happens when I try to wake the computer from sleep.

Have you tried start up repair?

I've had the same issue (corrupted files within the system, even though it's just been updated) and this is how I corrected it....... Run CMD as admin (right click start icon to bring up list) then type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth", without the quotes. Note the spaces and also it may hang at 100% but let it run as this isn't actually the completion.

Then again in CMD as admin, type "SFC /SCANNOW".

I hope this helps.

Have you tried start up repair?
Thanks for your input. I tried what might've been that in the Windows Troubleshooter? It found nowt wrong. I'll google startup repair to refresh my memory.

Run CMD as admin (right click start icon to bring up list) then type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth", without the quotes. Note the spaces and also it may hang at 100% but let it run as this isn't actually the completion.

Then again in CMD as admin, type "SFC /SCANNOW".
Thanks Scott. I hate fiddling but I'll investigate that when I'm feeling strong enough (and have the time).

Thanks for your input. I tried what might've been that in the Windows Troubleshooter? It found nowt wrong. I'll google startup repair to refresh my memory.

Thanks Scott. I hate fiddling but I'll investigate that when I'm feeling strong enough (and have the time).

You won't do any harm following Scott's instructions. If you type the command wrongly the pc will just ignore it and tell you you've got it wrong. Then you can check it and try again.
Its your best move as you seem to have tried start up repair already.

Thanks guys, I've now tried all those things so I guess that the next gambit is to boot from a usb ...

I just need to rehearse my moves first.

Last edited:
My update took around 9 hours.
You just have to let it run.

Thanks guys, I've now tried all those things so I guess that the next gambit is to boot from a usb ...

I just need to rehearse my moves first.
Just a thought. If your not on version 1903 you could force it to update. Google win 10 media creation tool. The top search is microsoft iso download. Select that and select update this device. It will download the media creation tool. Run that and follow the prompts. Sounds a lot but its easy. Odds are the update version will cure your problem.

If your not on version 1903
I am on 1903, & that's when the trouble started - see post #1. So I uninstalled the update but the boot problem had become entrenched, so I reinstalled the update again.

Last edited:
I am on 1903, & that's when the trouble started - see post #1. So I uninstalled the update but the boot problem had become entrenched, so I reinstalled the update again.
Sorry. Missed that. Doh!

An update to this is that the pc now starts ok in one hit, and what made the difference seems to be that I managed to turn off "Fast Start", whatever that is, and which is buried somewhere in all those Windows settings menus.

What this hasn't cured, though, is that the computer won't wake from sleep and has to be powered off and then started from scratch. Aaaargh ... where's my felling axe?

An update to this is that the pc now starts ok in one hit, and what made the difference seems to be that I managed to turn off "Fast Start", whatever that is, and which is buried somewhere in all those Windows settings menus.

What this hasn't cured, though, is that the computer won't wake from sleep and has to be powered off and then started from scratch. Aaaargh ... where's my felling axe?
I wonder if 'fast start' allows you to start from 'sleep'...

Up until recently my Win10 machine was problematical to the point of being unusable, luckily I still had my iMac. I seem to have solved all the problems by simply not allowing driver updates, the graphics driver I update from the manufacturers site.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10
https://askleo.com/disable-windows-updates-windows-10-home/

I did a bit of mix and match from these sites until I found a stable solution which IIRC involved the registry hack. My Win10 machine is now completely stable, all other updates are completed quickly and the frustrating start up problems have gone away.
I'm still too scared to turn the machine off for any period but it wakes from sleep without problems.

It did involve doing a clean install of Win10 and only using drivers from the manufacturers sites, never Windows drivers.

Last edited:
A bit of a random thought as in are most (all?) W10 problems being reported when using "sleep" & "hibernate" not "shutdown"?

I learned early on that Win10 shutdown is not a shutdown akin to previous versions of Windows.

It is actually a hybrid in that in common with hibernate it retains a computer state in RAM. Now granted my W10 pc with its spinners not SSD still takes a short time to start but heh what is so urgent that I can't wait while it boots;)

FWIW some of the posts above remind me of how bad W7 became and similar advice was read re drivers but nothing helped :(

PS in W10 updates I noticed it had updated my network driver to a 2015 version (yes it is an old motherboard)....checking it seems the one I last updated to was 2013. But yes, in regard to video drivers I (try to) maintain complete control and have only used the GPU makers drivers as needed.

Last edited:
I did update some drivers, esp for the graphics card and my Wacom tablet, but none helped.

I dimly recall that some Windows glitches cure themselves with time - that if they're a 'bug' in the OS they get cured with later updates?

Yes I can turn it off! It goes off at the mains plug every night anyway.

I did update some drivers, esp for the graphics card and my Wacom tablet, but none helped.

I dimly recall that some Windows glitches cure themselves with time - that if they're a 'bug' in the OS they get cured with later updates?

Yes I can turn it off! It goes off at the mains plug every night anyway.

FWIW by turning off at the mains plug, even though you have used 'shutdown", will mean it is going through a (hard) "restart" this just possibly is one cause of some driver (update) related issues???

was told that you should not use sleep if you have a SSD.

Back