Windows 10

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone gone from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and found it an improvement, in particular with running 4K resolution? Windows 7 doesn't seem to be very good for this and I stick to 2K but also currently trying out a 40" 4K TV instead of a 27" 4K monitor. I don't need to worry about colour accuracy anymore.

Windows 10 is a million miles better than anything since XP, finally things seem to 'just work' (most of the time).
^^^^^^^ totally agree.:)

I run Windows 10 on a laptop with a 4K resolution screen, specifically acquired for photo editing. As someone else said, everything seems to "just work", none of the annoying problems I've had with previous versions of Windows. And 4K resolution on a colour accurate screen is just really lovely! In fact the only "problem" I've had with such a high resolution screen is that I'm a determined pixel peeper. When checking out sharpening artefacts, lens detail resolution, noise removal, etc., I like to be able to see the individual pixels. All I used to have to do was look closely at the screen and I could see not only the pixels but the individual coloured dots with which the screen made up a pixel. Now I can't see the coloured dots, and it takes a ridiculous amount of zooming in before I can see the individual pixels.

Windows 10 is by far the best version ever, yes it updates a lot but with fast broadband it is a doddle.
it doesn't like old software and drivers but tht is just a good excuse to move on a bit, all in all it is very good

Sounds good. I used to run a 4K 27" monitor at 2K resolution because at 4K the fonts were just too small and the font increase thing didn't seem to work well across the board but I'm now testing a 40" 4K TV at 4K resolution and apportioning the screen for various apps. I'm sure I read that Windows 10 does some automatic screen quadrant thing, this would be very handy! Sounds better than how you can drag a window to the edge in Win 7 and it automatically halves it to that side.

I appreciate the TV isn't quite up to the same standards as the monitor but at 40" it's great to double up for watching films and will also be getting hooked up to my son's Xbox. I don't really need to worry about colour accuracy anymore.

I agree with other here, 10 is the best Windows version yet. Go for it!

FWIW, I updated an HP Pavilion Dv7 from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in 2016. The most recent Win10 update will not complete, so far has got stuck at 81% each time I've tried it.

depends on the age of the machine.

for example I had a laptop with a 2nd gen intel chipset, intel dropped total driver support for W10. the MS alternative just thrashed the disk constantly.

do a bit of research before hand.

depends on the age of the machine.

for example I had a laptop with a 2nd gen intel chipset, intel dropped total driver support for W10. the MS alternative just thrashed the disk constantly.

do a bit of research before hand.
I don't know off-hand which generation of processor my Dv7 has though it is an old machine (2010 I think), but the hard disc does get a thrashing... Doing a bit of research beforehand is all well and good, but not always so easy for non computer buffs to know where or what to look for to get the relevant information. The MS Win 10 drivers should work properly though, shouldn't they?

Last edited:
I don't know off-hand which generation of processor my Dv7 has though it is an old machine (2010 I think), but the hard disc does get a thrashing... Doing a bit of research beforehand is all well and good, but not always so easy for non computer buffs to know where or what to look for to get the relevant information. The MS Win 10 drivers should work properly though, shouldn't they?
Sorry my post was more aimed at the op than yourself.

Normally the likes of dell and HP support pages will advise (eg in my case entering the service tag in to dell gave a big Windows 10 compatiblity message). Or you can generally tell by the lack of drivers for w10 on their download page.

While ms own drivers can and do work most of the time, remember they can be a little generic, especially in my case the generic ms storage controller driver which lead to it misbehaving. As a rule of thumb always get the manufacturer own drivers where possible for 100% compatibility

Last edited:
The frustrating thing for me is that even though the feature update to 1803 fails to install, it still downloads and tries again and again each time the machine switched on. Not being able to switch off updates is a royal pain in the backside...

I've tried a bunch of stuff, but today found an unknown device in device manager for which I seem to have found a solution for. So having fixed that, I'm trying the update again today (it got stuck at 81% after seven hours again yesterday). Our internet connection speed is usually around 30Mb/s.

Last edited:
The most recent update to 1803 has so far stuck three times at 81% blue screen with the rotating circles frozen. I have tried a few things suggested online by various folks including Microsoft. I will try further, but may end up going back to the factory Win 7 install and just forget about Win 10.

Stuck for how long? And what spec is the system.

On mechanical drives those big updates can appear to be stalled.
I have left it overnight before now. Yesterday I wasn't so patient, I have to go to bed sometime.
It's a low spec system;
Intel Core 2.56 GHz i5 460M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD.

I'm not expecting miracles, just want it to work. It's also not a machine I use often (use my iPad and iMac 27 instead) so it's not a huge issue either way.

Last edited:
Unless you really want Windows 7, rather than reverting to the factory Windows 7 install, download the latest Windows 10 install image to a bootable USB stick (or an ISO to burn on a DVD) and install that. Remember to take a copy of your personal data & anything you want to keep just in case ……..

You can use the 'create installation media' instructions found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Last edited:
The most recent update to 1803 has so far stuck three times at 81% blue screen with the rotating circles frozen. I have tried a few things suggested online by various folks including Microsoft. I will try further, but may end up going back to the factory Win 7 install and just forget about Win 10.
If you have all your application installers and your files are backed up, then a clean install of the latest W10 build (as above) may be the simplest and quickest method to make this work, assuming your hardware is supported at all. You're probably less likely to have problems with future updates, too. W7 extended support ends in about 18 months, after which there'll be no more security fixes.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm toying with fitting an SSD in it and doing a clean Win10 install. Need to check out if it can support this approach at all or whether it's time to simply lob it in the bin. It doesn't have a lot of data/files or program apps on it now so if it does go to that great recycle bin in the sky, so be it. It does come in handy at times, but I can use the wife's laptop if need be.

Well it's been stuck for about an hour.

Blue screen
Configuring update for Windows 10
100% complete
Do not turn off your computer

The circle of dots has frozen.

Currently downloading a Windows 10 ISO for USB on my Mac. The laptop is getting wiped and a new install later this evening. Just need to deactivate a few apps first.

^^^ I did that on recommendation from a colleague the day I took this laptop out of the box - strips it right back to basics and gets rid of all the bloatware. So far so good and after 17 years as a mac user I'm not finding it half as terrible I was expecting!

So I got Windows 10 and noticed two things straight away:

1. It doesn't like to upgrade from Windows 7 and needs a fresh install instead.
2. It really doesn't like more than one populated hard drive both with installing the OS and also with booting, even if you've disabled them all in BIOS.

But startup time after BIOS with Win 10 Pro on the SSD is literallty 3 seconds! Damn!

I called Microsoft tech support for the first point and they confirmed it. It did seem odd to me but it is what it is.

The second point seems to be pretty well documented online when I went looking for solutions. In fact the installer actually managed to corrupt the brand new hard drive i was trying to install to and also an SSD storage drive which was also connected but never selected, touched or tampered with. Even when popping the SSD drive into a caddy with another computer it was unreadable. Luckily I had everything backed up but I'm not very impressed and never had an issue like that before with Win7 and earlier.

The only way I got it working was to put another brand new hard drive in and disconnect every other hard drive before powering up and running the installer. Again this seems quite well documented.

Anyway, all running fine now. Not keen on how Win 10 seems to push for email addresses, but I guess this is how things are now.

So you changed hardware around at the same time? Probably explains some of it tbh.

Did loads of upgrades (some multi drive systems) when the free window was open, other than the driver issue mentioned above they all went perfect.

The opposite, I didn't change anything and tried to do an upgrade and it didn't like it. Then I only swapped the boot drive out and it still wouldn't work. Then I pulled the storage drives out and boom, flawless install.

Popped the SSD storage back in and boot time suddenly became painful and then once in the ssd was unrecognisable in disk management.

Doesn't matter now as I'm not revisiting it and it's all setup to work.

Finally decided to upgrade my personal rig to Win10. Seamless :) External drives also recognised with no issues (never used as boot drives though). Did a fresh install onto a brand new drive and noticed that it automatically sorted out most of the drivers instead of me having to manually do it like with previous Windows which was a nice surprise.

So far all the installs I've done with Win 10 have ran very stable once setup.

I also have a failing 1803 but mine gets to 86% and reverts to previous version of Windows.
Tried everything I could think of and Microsoft tech support had a go and failed.

The nag function has another try once a month with no option to cancel.

VERY VERY IRRITATING

Shame as before this I was very impressed with 10.
As others have said it just seemed to work until ...........

Back