Windows 7 64-bit & CS3 - will it work?

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been searching this forum for the answer to no avail, so I will have to start a new thread.

I have just ordered and paid for Chillblast to custom build me a new computer system. I have gone for the Fusion Midgard on their website. Most of you know, that I know very little about computers and mine has been playing up for ages. However, my Brother has warned me about going for the Windows 7 home premium 64-bit as Photoshop CS3 may not run on it. Yikes! Does anyone know if it does?

Also, I have Pro-show Gold - will that work?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks - Gillian

It will run, but in 32 bit mode, therefore if you have more than 4GB of memory installed, it will not be able to take advantage of the extra memory.

Also, most 3rd party plug-ins won't work , for example neat image, nik' filters etc

Thanks Guys. I think I had better contact the computer company and ask if they can change it to 32-bit. Pro Show Gold site said the software will run on 64-bit but has a couple of issues that require upgrades shortly!

32-bit it is then.

Oh, by the way, I have ordered the computer with 4gb of PC3-10666 DDR3 memory - will that be sufficient for CS3? Thanks

4gb will be no use to you if you go for the 32bit version of win7 assuming that's what you're doing.

Install the 64 bit version and just run any older programs that have issues in compatibility mode.

Oh, by the way, I have ordered the computer with 4gb of PC3-10666 DDR3 memory - will that be sufficient for CS3? Thanks

Yep, it will run well with that.

I'd still go for the 64 bit version of windows. If you decide to upgrade to CS4 later on you'll get the benefit.

4gb will be no use to you if you go for the 32bit version of win7 assuming that's what you're doing.

I don't understand why? I have sent an e-mail to Chillblast to hold off building the system until I sort out which will be best for me.

Install the 64 bit version and just run any older programs that have issues in compatibility mode.

Again, I don't understand what you are saying here? What is compatibility mode?

im running CS3 on 64 bit W7, i think its just the 32bit version though?

I think I know what you mean here. Are you saying that until recently, Adobe just had a 32-bit version of CS3, but now they have brought out a 64-bit version? And, you are using CS3 on your PC with W7 64-bit, but CS3 is only running as if you had 32-bit installed - what would be the implications of that then? Slower file moving, sorting etc?

I'd still go for the 64 bit version of windows. If you decide to upgrade to CS4 later on you'll get the benefit.

Penny might be starting to move downwards!!

Thanks Guys - Gillian

Compatibility mode is an option. If a program has problems when you try to run it, you find it in "My Computer" and right click on it, choose properties and you will see a tab at the top "Compatibility" click that and tick the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose the windows version you want in the drop down box. The default is XP with service pack 3.

Compatibility mode is an option. If a program has problems when you try to run it, you find it in "My Computer" and right click on it, choose properties and you will see a tab at the top "Compatibility" click that and tick the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose the windows version you want in the drop down box. The default is XP with service pack 3.

That was so helpful Steep. So you think the correct way for me to go is to stick with the original order of W7 64-bit then? I have said in my e-mail to the company to wait until I telephone them tomorrow to discuss options.

Regards Gillian

Windows 7 x64 - along with Vista x64 - will happily run any 32-bit app (like Office, Photoshop CS3 and before).

The app just can't take advantage of using more than 3.2Gb of RAM.

You don't need to run it in compatibility mode, Windows has two 'Program Files' folders. One for 32-bit apps, one for 64-bit apps. They all run in the same session seamlessly.

I use Vista x64 and CS3 and numerous bespoke 32-bit apps at work without a hitch.

Again, I don't understand what you are saying here? What is compatibility mode?

I think I know what you mean here. Are you saying that until recently, Adobe just had a 32-bit version of CS3, but now they have brought out a 64-bit version? And, you are using CS3 on your PC with W7 64-bit, but CS3 is only running as if you had 32-bit installed - what would be the implications of that then? Slower file moving, sorting etc?

Penny might be starting to move downwards!!

Thanks Guys - Gillian

CS3 is only 32 bit, it was with CS4 that adobe made a 64bit photoshop, but you can still run CS3 in '32 bit' mode , the only practical limitation is theat it will only use upto 4GB memory even if you have more installed.

Therefore in your position, the impact will be negligible if you either get win 7 64bit or 32 bit.

Ah, I am thinking with all the comments on here, I will be going for 32-bit. My Brother has put his 2 penny-worth into the conversation by saying my other applications that are older could be affected by having the new system as 64-bit - like, printer drivers, and camera software etc. I will wait for the final decision after I speak with Chillblast tomorrow. Thanks again Guys - Gillian

Grrr, go for the 64bit version. You won't have any serious problems and any you do come across you can find cures for here!

Remember there's no point putting 4gb memory into a system that has 32bit windows, it just can't see it all.

So far I've had problems with two old bits of software, my scanner driver and my graphics software (Micrografx) but both work perfectly in compatibility mode.

Seriously go for 64bit, you wont have problems. I run loads and loads of plugins in CS4 and have loads of 32 bit applications that run fine. You cant use 4GB with 32bit anyway, and trust me ever since I switched to 64bit I will never go back.

Go with 64 bit.

I've just had my pc rebuilt, just before windows 7 so it's currently on vista 64bit with cs3.. no worries. Works a treat, but yes as 32 bit. My windows 7 is en route too so that should be fine. As jamesoliverstone says, you can't use all 4gb with 32 bit... but if I've got it right, you can in 64 bit. Well you can add more ram and use 4gb for cs3.. sweet.

I know my recent rebuilt has got me at 60% faster! And I've stilll got win 7 and more ram to add. It weren't that shabby before but now... much better. The main upgrades:

64 bit
4gb fresh new fast ram :)
2 decent hard drives in RAID 1 and separate partitions
new mobo

Windows7 x64 and all versions of photoshop work fine. Had both CS2 and CS4 x64 running on my machine without any issues.

Not sure what the others are talking about, 64-bit OS will utilise more than 4gb memory regardless of the application which it's running.

I was told, possibly wrong then, that as cs3 is a 32 bit application it can only use up to 4gb ram. The rest of the ram you may have will be used for other applications and the system.

Whoa! I think I have got the message. Guess what? I am going for the 64-bit Windows 7. Between you Guys here and Chillblast's Technical Adviser, my mind is fixed and I would be foolish to ignore you all.

Thanks again for all your comments. My new custom-build PC should be here within 10 days. :popcorn: Gillian

Just check your C driver. CS3 will be put into the /program files(x86), which means it runs as 32 bit. I run 64bit Windows 7. It works, in 32 bit mode.

I was told, possibly wrong then, that as cs3 is a 32 bit application it can only use up to 4gb ram. The rest of the ram you may have will be used for other applications and the system.

Nope, whoever told you that is completely correct.

You wouldn't get a dedicated 64-bit OS or apps if that wan't the case.

My Mac Pro has 10Gb of RAM but Photoshop CS4 (which is solely 32-bit on the Mac) can only access 3Gb of it. The other 7Gb is free for the OS and other applications.

Yes it will, Windows 7 is capable of addressing 4GB minus video ram.

Back