windows 7 pro question

BRILLIANT! Not very confident when I hit the Download button as the laptop was a few years old but everything seemed to go off without any problems at all. Now running Win10 and even upgraded to Google Chrome at the same time.

I had the video running on my main PC and followed the YouTube instructions while updating the old laptop.
Like you I wasn't too confident either. It makes you wonder how many people are paying for something that's free.

I've just followed the video^^^ Took me 2 hours on a fastish download speed, but it went through with no problems.
Now all I have to do is learn the ins and outs of W10.
All my programmes seem to be working as before.
Thanks for the link. Most helpful.

I've just followed the video^^^ Took me 2 hours on a fastish download speed, but it went through with no problems.
Now all I have to do is learn the ins and outs of W10.
All my programmes seem to be working as before.
Thanks for the link. Most helpful.
I've been on Windows 10 almost since it was launched, I needed a new PC at the time and Win10 was part of the deal. I wasn't too keen at first but now I've got used to it, I really like it.

Last edited:
All OSs have their foibles, and I have the odd issue with W10. But it seems to me that, more than previous versions, it's very capable and forgiving in terms of running legacy apps including those that are 32-bit. Which is good!

Not sure that I understand the bit that says W10 upgrade will only run for month. Have I read that wrong?

Not sure that I understand the bit that says W10 upgrade will only run for month. Have I read that wrong?
The article seems to say that there's been a year's window for people to adopt a free upgrade, and that from now on you have to pay.

If that's the case, & it's £119 or whatever, & your pc is of a certain vintage, it could be wiser to put that £119 towards a new pc, which'll have W10 on it anyway.

The way I read it was, if your upgrade hasn't been authenticated then it will only run for a month. Also I wasn't asked to input my window 7 key at any point during the upgrade. I think the article is a little misleading.

I'm hoping that too. I wasn't asked for a product key, but I now have a different key to W7. I looks like an "in house" key, rather than one given out with a bought product so I'm hoping it is an official and long term key.

I'm hoping that too. I wasn't asked for a product key, but I now have a different key to W7. I looks like an "in house" key, rather than one given out with a bought product so I'm hoping it is an official and long term key.
I think Microsoft give you a digital key (which is what you now have). It may be worth writing it down somewhere, in case you need it.

The way I read it was, if your upgrade hasn't been authenticated then it will only run for a month. Also I wasn't asked to input my window 7 key at any point during the upgrade. I think the article is a little misleading.

This has been common on both Win 7 and 10 for years now - if you don't validate them with the correct key then after a month you will get the message about an illegal copy.

Also until you validate Win 10 you are very restricted to what you can do.

But with loads of cheap keys available on Ebay not really any point in paying out a lot of money for it.

Also you can buy an i5 workstation on Ebay for about £120-160 depending on actual configuration and they will often come with Win 10 fitted.

I think the article is just badly edited. The restrictions kick in after a month if you have no valid key (e.g. if you downloaded the W10 installer without ever having bought Windows). But if MS accepts your W7 key as valid for the W10 upgrade (which still seems to work), then W10 should be permanently activated.

Back