windows 7 pro question

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
Happy new year first and then on to my question. Hopefully its not too daft.
I am still using windows 7 on my pc and have done for since it came out and never had any problems . I am a senior person(old bloke) a bit set in my ways and have been into photography for years as a passion. I am still working with photoshop cs5 as i cannot jusityfy the price increases they keep giving and it works ok for me. I have several other editing programmes that i use also on my pc.
I have just read some articles that M/S are now refusing to update and will discard win7 .It will become obsolete the end of this month. If i need to upgrade to win 10 i will have to pay.
Will i still be able to use win7 as normal or will i loose it and my installed programmes.
Sorry if this seems a daft question ,but im not well up with all this tech stuff..Thank you.

You can still use Win 7 as normal, but more crucially it means no security patches for viruses and other holes.

Its conceivable that if a large number of people carry on using it they could be targeted by the less than honest
I don't think Win 10 is too expensive, probably fifty or sixty quid from a reputable source

Last edited:
Windows 7 will keep working fine, you just won't get security updates in the future. You may be able to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost as often the windows 7 key will activate windows 10 fine, however don't know how you can test this beforehand. (windows 10 may not support your hardware anyway)

Last edited:
As I understand it, support will cease for 7, so your pc will be more susceptible to "attacks", personally I think not as hackers tend to go for newer machines but that's very much my personal opinion.
You will be charged to upgrade to 10, however your machine may or may not be upgradeable, depends on a number of things such as memory and disc space I believe.
I am in the same boat but as my pc is now both old and slow I intend to purchase a newer model to avoid the hassle. I think my old software will still work, time will tell.
I would think more knowledgeable people will be along in a moment.

Last edited:
You can get a windows 10 activation key for only a few quid on ebay if you want to keep it as cheap as possible and go down the software upgrade route. My personal opinion though is that computers have made some pretty big leaps forward speed wise since the advent of ssd and now nvme drives and i would put some consideration into a new machine even if it is an off the shelf box as they aren't ridiculous money currently. I priced up a dell yesterday which had a 6 core intel i5 processor, ssd drive and 8gb of ddr4 ram for £459+vat which for an off the shelf pc seems pretty good value. There was an i3 model that would be pretty capable too for less again.

All of that being said it is still a lot more money than a 4 quid windows license off ebay!

As I understand it, support will cease for 7, so your pc will be more susceptible to "attacks", personally I think not as hackers tend to go for newer machines but that's very much my personal opinion.
MS has been regularly patching new security issues all the time since W7 was launched. Here are some recent fixes:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=security monthly quality rollup for windows 7

It's extremely unlikely that the need for new fixes will end when MS stops releasing them for W7. Security issues often affect multiple versions of Windows. Therefore W7 systems will become increasingly vulnerable to attack over time.

All of that being said it is still a lot more money than a 4 quid windows license off ebay!
These are almost certainly not legitimate licences:

https://www.howtogeek.com/392080/cheap-windows-10-keys-do-they-work/

Windows 7 will keep working fine, you just won't get security updates in the future. You may be able to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost as often the windows 7 key will activate windows 10 fine, however don't know how you can test this beforehand. (windows 10 may not support your hardware anyway)

Yes, there are lots of reports that the free upgrade process still works, which implies that MS is tacitly supporting it. See:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/yo...ws-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139745-upgrade-windows-10-windows-7-free.html

Backup your system before any upgrade, especially one that's not officially supported.

MS has been regularly patching new security issues all the time since W7 was launched. Here are some recent fixes:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=security monthly quality rollup for windows 7

It's extremely unlikely that the need for new fixes will end when MS stops releasing them for W7. Security issues often affect multiple versions of Windows. Therefore W7 systems will become increasingly vulnerable to attack over time.

These are almost certainly not legitimate licences:

Backup your system before any upgrade, especially one that's not officially supported.

I recently acquired a Windows 10 Disc from Ebay for £13.00 inc. the key.

It appears that the disc was made from a MS download but it worked fine and was accepted and activated with no problems.

I also bought a key from Ebay for about £3 for another PC - this time using the latest ISO from MS - and that also worked.

If you download the Win 10 !SO from MS you can then create a bootable USB using Rufus - be sure to set it to the type of BIOS you have (Legacy or UEFI):

https://rufus.ie

I now have USB sticks for both Legacy and UEFI bios and they work fine - you only need a 16GB USB stick at most.

Last edited:

It appears that the disc was made from a MS download but it worked fine and was accepted and activated with no problems.

I also bought a key from Ebay for about £3 for another PC - this time using the latest ISO from MS - and that also worked.

If you download the Win 10 !SO from MS you can then create a bootable USB using Rufus - be sure to set it to the type of BIOS you have (Legacy or UEFI):

https://rufus.ie

I now have USB sticks for both Legacy and UEFI bios and they work fine - you only need a 16GB USB stick at most.

These "cheapie" licences are normally volume licences that may or may not continue to work. I speak from experience (in IT for 30 years)

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Just buy it from a reputable reseller.

From the linked article:

'Okay, okay, so these keys are sketchy. But you’re wondering: Do they work? Well, maybe. They often do work…for a while. We once bought a Windows 7 key for about $15 from one of these websites. We stuck it in a virtual machine, and it worked for about a year. After that, Windows started saying we “may be a victim of software piracy.” Our Windows license was no longer “genuine.”'

There's no reason to buy a dodgy ebay key if the MS servers will activate W10 using your current W7 key, and there's no need to buy a disc when you can download the complete installation from MS. Of course, some of these dubious keys may continue to work indefinitely - it depends on exactly where they came from and whether they come to MS's attention. Apart from the legality, you're probably much safer using the W7 key even outside the official free upgrade period (MS could easily have turned off activation of W7 keys for W10, but have chosen not to - they probably want all legitimate customers to upgrade). If the W7 keys stop working for W10 activation, then like Terry I'd suggest buying from an authorised reseller.

From the linked article:

'Okay, okay, so these keys are sketchy. But you’re wondering: Do they work? Well, maybe. They often do work…for a while. We once bought a Windows 7 key for about $15 from one of these websites. We stuck it in a virtual machine, and it worked for about a year. After that, Windows started saying we “may be a victim of software piracy.” Our Windows license was no longer “genuine.”'

There's no reason to buy a dodgy ebay key if the MS servers will activate W10 using your current W7 key, and there's no need to buy a disc when you can download the complete installation from MS. Of course, some of these dubious keys may continue to work indefinitely - it depends on exactly where they came from and whether they come to MS's attention. Apart from the legality, you're probably much safer using the W7 key even outside the official free upgrade period (MS could easily have turned off activation of W7 keys for W10, but have chosen not to - they probably want all legitimate customers to upgrade). If the W7 keys stop working for W10 activation, then like Terry I'd suggest buying from an authorised reseller.

Well I have a number of different PCs which I buy from Ebay usually or Hardware Bargains, and I usually run Win7 or XP in VMs.

But now with the end of support for WIN 7 and the fact that newer PCs or workstations will not even boot into Win 7 because they are all going to UEFI it is just much cheaper to use these keys - after all Win 10 Pro costs $199.00 on the Microsoft site for use on 1PC.

Which is a ridiculous price - especially since it was offered free!

But I do have a choice - Linux, which I use on my surfing PC and for that it is excellent - and I can use it on as many PCs as I wish.

The one I use is Linux Mint which allows a really easy transition from Windows and has a huge amount of FREE software and costs only a few pennies if downloaded from the Linux Mint site or a couple of quid for the latest Mint 19.2 from Ebay.

In the past 12 months I've upgraded more than 90 Windows 7 computers to Windows 10 and activation of Windows 10 was immediate and automatic on every computer that was running a legally activated copy of Windows 7, but you do have to do an in place upgrade. If you do want to do a clean install you will have to separately buy a Windows 10 licence.

Why go through illegal sources when you can legitematlly download the windows 10 install files for free from the Microsoft website?

Because it also came with the key - and the legality seems to be kind of grey since so many people are now selling them and MS seems to be at least tacitly condoning it.

And the instructions on the site state that they are for a CLEAN install - NOT an upgrade.

Last edited:
I've done clean installs of windows 10 using windows 7 keys and had zero issues with activation. That's both using licenses with prebuilt desktops (being used on the desktop it belongs to) and purchased disk licences on home built PCs.

I used the microsoft media creation tool from their site to create my bootable usb pens.

Last edited:
Hmmm a lot to take in from all your comments .I cannot afford a new machine so im stuck with my present one. Thank you for all the comments. Ill have to give this some carefull consideration.

Hmmm a lot to take in from all your comments .I cannot afford a new machine so im stuck with my present one. Thank you for all the comments. Ill have to give this some carefull consideration.

If you don't actually go onto the internet you can use Win 7 as long as you like since the only way normally for malware to get onto your PC is via the internet.

I know there are system requirements but is that all?

The minimum Win 10 specs don't seem that taxing.

System requirements for installing Windows 10

These are the basic requirements for installing Windows 10 on a PC. If your device does not meet these requirements, you may not have as great an experience with Windows 10 and might want to consider purchasing a new PC.

Processor:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or System on a Chip (SoC)

RAM:
1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard drive space:
16 GB for 32-bit OS 32 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card:
DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display:
800x600

If you have a tablet, use that for the internet and use the computer offline with W7. Having said that I used Vista for 2 years after support ended with no problems. I would suggest that you have good antivirus and malware programs though.
Incidentally when the wannacry ransom attack occured microsoft issued an update for Vista even though support had ended.

Happy new year first and then on to my question. Hopefully its not too daft.
I am still using windows 7 on my pc and have done for since it came out and never had any problems . I am a senior person(old bloke) a bit set in my ways and have been into photography for years as a passion. I am still working with photoshop cs5 as i cannot jusityfy the price increases they keep giving and it works ok for me. I have several other editing programmes that i use also on my pc.
I have just read some articles that M/S are now refusing to update and will discard win7 .It will become obsolete the end of this month. If i need to upgrade to win 10 i will have to pay.
Will i still be able to use win7 as normal or will i loose it and my installed programmes.
Sorry if this seems a daft question ,but im not well up with all this tech stuff..Thank you.

No, it is not a daft question, that's the purpose of forums, that's what forums is there for, for anyone to ask questions and seek answers.

First of all: Windows 7 is not going to suddenly stopped working, as if like a mobile phone with "No Network Signal" and you can still keep using it. There are some people out there in the real world, still using Windows XP and the likes.

Secondary: Normally Microsoft would release a new generation of Windows, then some hacker would found some bugs in the software and spend the word about it. When Microsoft gets wind of this, they tend to investigate the problem, then send out an update to fix the problem.

It is kind of like a car, use a car or a washing machine as an analogy. It's like the production was found to have design faults, so the company issued a recall notice, you take the production back to the shop (or if it's too large like a washing machine, then they send someone out to you). The company would then remove the faulty parts and replace it with new parts. They're like "Sorry we designed it with a crap piece of machine parts that could have caught fire and killed you, we'll replace it with a safer redesigned part for free, we hope you'll still buy our new production in future."

However: Microsoft stops support for Windows 7, that means that if someone found yet another fault with Windows 7, Microsoft is not going to be bothered with rewriting a new set of codes to fix the bugs, and release it online for you to update. That means no more updates.

BUT: As long as you keep your anti-virus and your Internet Security software as updated as you can, and always be careful of what you download and install, you can try to minimise the hacker's ability to access your computer. It won't stop them, but it will minimise the chances.

If you're careful to keep your security software updated and careful with what you download and install, your Window 7 will still work for as long as it can.

Usually only when there's new software out, like updated Lightroom, updated Photoshop, etc., that won't work on Windows 7, that's when people tend to feel like forced to pay to upgrade the operating system.

Taking cars as an analogy: It's kind of like if you take good care of your old Morris Minor, it will still run for as long as there is still fuel available for it, but if you don't look after it well, you'll find that spare parts are very rare and that it becomes harder or impossible to repair, so you got to throw it away and buy a new car.

You take good care of Windows 7, by keeping your security software updated and not install junk software, it will still be find from hackers, but you don't bother with security software or installed any junk software, and you're giving hackers a means of remote control to access your computer.

I agree with you. It is not a sure-fire guarantee, just a theory. It is possible that hackers are going to be looking for problems in Windows 10, so they could write viruses for it, rather than older Windows. After all, as far as we know, do we know if there are any hackers around writing viruses for Windows 3.1????

Hackers will assume nobody is using Windows 3.1, 95/98, and XP, so the hackers have moved on, and write viruses for Windows 7, 8, and 10.

But some other hackers may also decided to move on a little more. Forget 7 and 8, go for 10 as they think more and more people are upgrading to Windows 10.

It is your personal opinion and I agree with you because I feel the same as you think.

Hackers will assume nobody is using Windows 3.1, 95/98, and XP, so the hackers have moved on, and write viruses for Windows 7, 8, and 10.
I keep a Windows 98 machine under my desk at work, just to support one client that is still using a piece of software we stopped developing in 2003. They are using a specific feature that will only work on DOS kernel machines, so XP is too new and they have a machine with MS-DOS 6.22 installed natively to use it. Still, in 2020.

I keep a Windows 98 machine under my desk at work, just to support one client that is still using a piece of software we stopped developing in 2003. They are using a specific feature that will only work on DOS kernel machines, so XP is too new and they have a machine with MS-DOS 6.22 installed natively to use it. Still, in 2020.

Oooh, I was still using Windows 98 when everyone else started using Windows 8. I thought I was going to be the only person still using Windows 98 by the time everyone else moved onto Windows 10. Now I find there's someone else still using Windows 98 longer than me.

Actually by the time my mother got herself a new machine with Windows 8, she let me have her old Windows XP computer, and I needed it because at that time, my Windows 98 was starting to struggle with DSLR camera.

you are nuts if you continue with w7 for sure, internet hackers love it when people use old systems.
makes their lives easy
Microsoft have been warning for 5 years

Again thanks for all the comments ,a lot to take onboard for an old timer LOL. I have still got old disks with win 95 /98/xp and vista and i am not well up with all the tech stuff .So if a machine runs ok for me i tend to stick with it and not start searching for fixes and the like unless by some chance i come across it .That is how i found out about the upgrades etc. A friend of mine has win 10 on his laptop and has had nothing but trouble with it so that was another reason i never even thought about upgrading till now. Im also a bit concerned in case my older version of photoshop will run on win 10 and silver efex etc etc.Sorry if this has turned into an epic LOL.

I agree with you. It is not a sure-fire guarantee, just a theory. It is possible that hackers are going to be looking for problems in Windows 10, so they could write viruses for it, rather than older Windows. After all, as far as we know, do we know if there are any hackers around writing viruses for Windows 3.1????

But some other hackers may also decided to move on a little more. Forget 7 and 8, go for 10 as they think more and more people are upgrading to Windows 10.

It is your personal opinion and I agree with you because I feel the same as you think.
There are a couple of problems with this idea. One is that the number of PCs running W7 or earlier in 2020 is probably in the hundreds of millions, so it's still worth targeting them, especially as old systems are likely to be less secure in general (e.g. since they may be running older third party applications that have their own vulnerabilities). Another is that many vulnerabilities affect multiple versions of Windows. MS did not start from scratch when they wrote W10, but built on the work they had done on W7 and W8, so that a vulnerability recently discovered in W10 may apply equally to W7. Here's a random example from last year:

https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/201...n-remote-desktop-services-cve-2019-1181-1182/

It may be true that more effort is put into discovering vulnerabilities in W10, since it's now the commonest version of Windows, but any published vulnerability will normally be quickly fixed by an automatic update. Published vulnerabilities in W7 will simply accumulate over time, with no fix available, and they will rountinely be incorporated into malware, which is often engineered to exploit multiple vulnerabilities. It would not be wise to use an unpatched W7 system for (say) any kind of financial transaction on the public internet.

Im also a bit concerned in case my older version of photoshop will run on win 10 and silver efex etc etc.Sorry if this has turned into an epic LOL.
I suspect you'll be fine. I've run both CS3 and CS6 and even Photoshop 7.0 from 2002 on W10, as well as Google's free version of the Nik Collection (under CS6). Sometimes older software needs some tweaking or troubleshooting (e.g. I needed to fiddle with the high DPI compatibility settings in CS3, and run PS7 from a small partition), but backwards compatibility in the PC world is generally pretty good for major packages like this. The only caveats are that W10 will evolve over time and there might one day come a point when new issues arise, and older applications may have security vulnerabilities (especially, for example, the Acrobat application if your version of CS has it).

You could of course install the free edition of Avast which I still use, and still works, on XP.

Up to now I have been using Windows Defender on Win 7 but once it is no longer updated I will then use Avast as mentioned.

I know i will be able to still use win7 but to use it with P/S i have to be online electronically ,so i have been led to believe and only for one PC.
I have been trying to figure out just what is inside my PC .It is a HP pro 3400 series MT. Intel(r) core (tm) 13-2120 cpu@3.30 ghz.installed memory 8 gb.64 bit system.
And i dont have a dam clue what it means. LOL.So im thinking i may take some of your advice and see whats down the back of the sofa and look at buying another one .
Im fairly near to scan computers at bolton and they have a good feedback ,Just wondering if there is a better deal some where else. Wife has just informed me that my PC is at least 10 years old..Once again sorry to keep dragging this out.

For CS5 you only need to be online once when the software is first installed to authorise it. The current CC is different - you need to go online periodically for it to keep working.

I was happy with the system Scan built for me and the value was good at the time, but that was 7 years ago.

Thank you retune i was always under the impression that i had to be online to use it. So i could keep my win 7 machine and use it off line and still use CS5 for processing and look at a new machine for internet stuff. Great thank you.

Well, I thought I'd have a go at seeing if I could get a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 pro. I wasn't too hopeful to be honest, but it has worked and is activated :)

Well, I thought I'd have a go at seeing if I could get a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 pro. I wasn't too hopeful to be honest, but it has worked and is activated :)
I have a laptop running on Windows 7 Pro Dominic, can you take me through the steps you followed Dominic to get your free upgrade to Windows 10? I'm sure there a few others who'd like to see if they can get an upgrade too.

I just followed this video. I would definitely backup beforehand (not that I had any problems).
It took a very long time for me, but that was just because of my broadband speed.
As he says in the video, you can always roll back if it doesn't work.
So far I've had no problems and have only had one or two programmes that wouldn't work, but Photoshop cc was my main concern and that works just fine.
Something else to note, some of your hardware will need new drivers, but win 10 will find these.
View: https://youtu.be/g8Ww4ZrxWPM

Last edited:
One odd thing to watch out for is to uninstall any Apple software you may have on the Win 7 machine. I tried several times over the years to upgrade an oldish Win 7 pc and each time it would go so far and fail without explanation. Then I came across the tip to remove Apple software (it was stuff associated with iCloud I think, Bonjour?) and the Win 10 upgrade sailed though — go figure, as they say :(.

I just followed this video. I would definitely backup beforehand (not that I had any problems).
It took a very long time for me, but that was just because of my broadband speed.
As he says in the video, you can always roll back if it doesn't work.
So far I've had no problems and have only had one or two programmes that wouldn't work, but Photoshop cc was my main concern and that works just fine.
Something else to note, some of your hardware will need new drivers, but win 10 will find these.

Thanks for the help Dominic, really appreciated.

BRILLIANT! Not very confident when I hit the Download button as the laptop was a few years old but everything seemed to go off without any problems at all. Now running Win10 and even upgraded to Google Chrome at the same time.

I had the video running on my main PC and followed the YouTube instructions while updating the old laptop.

Back