Windows 7 version query

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
I'm about to settle on my new system, but I still have some doubts, so maybe I could get some feedback from others with better knowledge than myself....

*Is it worth upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional at £69? I understand that the latter has an XP mode and I suspect my ancient accounts package will not work with 7.....

You could install a dual boot system with XP/win7 and boot up into xp when you need to use your accounts package (is it Quicken?)

This was the solution for a friend who wanted to run Quicken, but still have win7.

You could install a dual boot system with XP/win7 and boot up into xp when you need to use your accounts package (is it Quicken?)

This was the solution for a friend who wanted to run Quicken, but still have win7.

Its Quickbooks actually (for Windows 95, I think!), but same difference....

I can just about understand what a dual boot system is, but have no idea how I would do it....nevertheless it does sound like a solution.

Really you need to find out if your account package will run on home premium, if not then try it on pro.

Pro really offers nothing unless you are putting the machine on a business network with several computers so avoid it if you can get away with it.

Windows 7 Home Premium has the ability to run programs in compatibility mode, I've had to do that with my graphics program and my scanner software, both run just fine now. Inkz has it right, try what you have first, then go from there if you have to.

windows 7 has the ability to link to other desktops through RDP
not a deal breaker but something i use a lot...well I say use...now I use logmein (free) version for remote and local connections, ultravnc is the weapon of choice
so I should have saved the money retrospectively.

As stated by Neil, you'll need 2 licenses for this. Not a good solution, a bit clumsy and over complicated.

Its Quickbooks actually (for Windows 95, I think!), but same difference....

I can just about understand what a dual boot system is, but have no idea how I would do it....nevertheless it does sound like a solution.

I'm not sure having to shut down one OS and boot into another every time you want to know how much money you don't have qualities as a "solution" ;)

Really you need to find out if your account package will run on home premium, if not then try it on pro.

Pro really offers nothing unless you are putting the machine on a business network with several computers so avoid it if you can get away with it.

Not really correct. Pro offers Windows XP Mode which is exactly the solution the OP needs if compatibility mode does not work.

Windows 7 Home Premium has the ability to run programs in compatibility mode, I've had to do that with my graphics program and my scanner software, both run just fine now. Inkz has it right, try what you have first, then go from there if you have to.

There seems to be a lot of confusion between "compatibility mode" and "XP Mode". All versions of Windows 7 have compatibility mode but XP Mode only comes with Pro and above. Compatibility mode tries to emmulate the behaviour of previous flavours of Windows. XP Mode is aimed to giving users (and businesses in particular) 100% backward compatibility with apps that worked under XP. It requires you to download a fully virtualised version of XP Service Pack 3. Read the link below for a fuller explanation of this.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49303887,00.htm

Not really correct. Pro offers Windows XP Mode which is exactly the solution the OP needs if compatibility mode does not work.

lol this is correct, you've just repeated basically what I said. If he doesn't need virtual machine or to link his machine to a business network there is absolutely no point in professional :)

My apologies. I was referring to the comment "Pro really offers nothing unless you are putting the machine on a business network with several computers" which is of course not correct.

If it's of any help, I ran Quicken 2004 on XP and then on Vista using Compatibility mode and it ran perfectly. I haven't tried it in Win 7 but I can't see why Quickbooks wouldn't work again in compatability mode

As stated by Neil, you'll need 2 licenses for this. Not a good solution, a bit clumsy and over complicated.

A bad choice of words, as my friend thought it was an excellent solution, the odd times he needed to look back on old photography business invoices, he just booted into XP. Nowt clumsy about it, and very simple to set up and use.

A bad choice of words, as my friend thought it was an excellent solution, the odd times he needed to look back on old photography business invoices, he just booted into XP. Nowt clumsy about it, and very simple to set up and use.

I'm guessing you did not read the information in the link. Take a look at how XP Mode would handle this and then if you truly believe that setting up a dual boot pc that has to be switched off and rebooted every time you want access to your accounts is anything but clumsy compared to double clicking a desktop icon then I'd be astounded. It also takes about a 5th of the time to setup and does not invalidate the terms of the license (or require an extra license).

I'm guessing you did not read the information in the link. Take a look at how XP Mode would handle this and then if you truly believe that setting up a dual boot pc that has to be switched off and rebooted every time you want access to your accounts is anything but clumsy compared to double clicking a desktop icon then I'd be astounded. It also takes about a 5th of the time to setup and does not invalidate the terms of the license (or require an extra license).

Pointless discussion, so I think we will need to agree to disagree and leave it at that, you made your point, I thought your point was wrong.

I was aware that XP mode does not apply to non pro versions of win7, therefore not a solution-I didn't need to read the link.

Thanks for input, all.

Now I understand more clearly what a double boot involves - ie turning the machine off and restarting it in WXP - I don't think that's a solution for me. But thanks for suggesting it anyway.

I guess I could try compatibility mode of W7 home premium (when I get it) and if that doesn't work, upgrade to W7 professional.

Thanks for posting the link to zdnet site, Lemming Lover.

Intuit (makers of Quicken) pulled out of the UK market a few years ago so no longer offer support in the UK

Yeah I was the same with Quicken. I had used it for more years than I can remember so was really disappointed when they withdrew from the UK. I've pressed on with Quicken 2004 but finally managed to find a usable alternative on the Mac. It's nowhere near as good but it does the job.

No idea what the reasoning was for pulling out of the UK :shrug:

Back