Windows 7 will not have IE

Opera is free for home users now though.

The people in charge at opera should be concentrating on making a browser that people want to use and are willing to spread the word about. Look at firefox. It started out and only computer geeks used it. now my mum has it on her pc and In work the support staff suggest it to customers all the time.

kopite you're right Opera has been free for quite a few years but I guess wether you think they make a browser that people want to use is a matter of preference. Personally I would never use anything else. I've been an opera user since 3.xx when the main claim to fame was that it would fit on one floppy disc. I've upgraded to (bought back then) every version since and the one thing that holds true through all variants is that they have kept the 'workflow' the same. If you used v3.1 you could jump to v9.6 and feel right at home.

Opera is also very much the browser of choice on mobile devices and they do bespoke versions for intranets and things like the Archos media players.

windows 7 beta has ie8, all the candidates that I have used anyway, and thats first last and alternating ones in the middle ;)

kopite you're right Opera has been free for quite a few years but I guess wether you think they make a browser that people want to use is a matter of preference. Personally I would never use anything else. I've been an opera user since 3.xx when the main claim to fame was that it would fit on one floppy disc. I've upgraded to (bought back then) every version since and the one thing that holds true through all variants is that they have kept the 'workflow' the same. If you used v3.1 you could jump to v9.6 and feel right at home.

Opera is also very much the browser of choice on mobile devices and they do bespoke versions for intranets and things like the Archos media players.

They are very good with their mobile browsers and supposedly have a browser that will work on iphone but cant release it because apple wont allow other browsers on their phone(is that not anti-competetive?)

The problem IMO is that the *** at opera or at least the vocal *** at opera are talking about the monopoly microsoft have and how no-one can compete against them yet Mozilla have done just that and even taken a bigger market share than IE.

I user Opera years ago and did like it but did really think it was worth paying for. I used to use netscape back in the day over IE as I always felt it was a better browser.
I user FF now because it does everything i want to it to do and if there is something it doesnt do there will be a plug in out there to do it :D

Dell did offer laptops with Linux on instead of windows and i think walmart in america also sold computers with Linux instead of windows.

Neither really did very well. People use windows because they have been brought up using it. Also if you have problems with Linux you cant really ring up the geek squad or tech guys and ask them for support as they only really offer windows support. When things go wrong the majority of pc users arent going to start digging about on the internet to get it fixed instead they`ll call for support or take it to their local computer shop and in those cases Linux isnt a great option

I kind of agree with this, and at the same time I dont. Where can you draw the line... Media Player, why not Word Pad and Paint, or Calculator.... That being said Windows 7 is defintely a step in the right direction for M$ - got the release client (with IE, lol) running lovely on my netbook at the minute!

Back