Windows 7: would you upgrade if...

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
... you had a new laptop for your mum? It's a new Toshiba laptop, and the upgrade can be had for about £28.

She's not a heavy user, mainly email, browsing and the many stupid games on Facebook.

I've not used Windows 7 much at all, is it worth the cost / effort of upgrade for what is basically just an internet user?

She doesn't know anything about this (birthday present from my grandad to her), and I'm sure she wouldn't care / know the difference in operating systems.

Dave.

You didnt mention what OS is already on there... if its Vista then yeh upgrade if its XP then stick with XP as the difference might be confusing... Plus XP is better then Vista :p

Sorry, comes with Vista Home Premium

Not a big fan of Vista myself! (is anyone?!)

If you have Vista, but a oem version of windows home 7 from ebay or somewhere... if you have XP - keep it..
I wouldn't recommend a upgrade to anyone - always go for the full package..

It's so unreliable and it was a rush job... Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, hence the short gap between them being launched... Most people say Vista was Gates' good bye to the world, but he stepped back a few year early so it was rushed through..

to be honest your lucky... the amount of people we had when I worked as a IT support complaining about it was madness....

this is the main reason why major pc manufactures got MS to extend the life of XP on support until windows 7 came out...

I think Vista is the new Windows ME when it came to lemons

But if you find it reliable keep it... anyway tv time
later

I'm another Vista user thats not had a single issue. Be interested to see how Windows 7 performs.

Mark

I did the same upgrade you're considering a couple of hours ago, having paid £15 postage for my "free" upgrade with my new machine.

Initial impressions are that it's far less interfering than Vista and seems to use a fair bit less memory.

So far I prefer it to Vista, but then that wouldn't be difficult :p

I think the "upgrade" copy I got can be installed fresh rather than requiring Vista to be installed first; so hopefully yours would be the same. I'd say it's worth doing for £28.

So why don't people like it [Vista] then?
All the driver issues (everything has to be approved by microsoft, so if you have something old that requires obscure drivers you're screwed).

Most irritating of all though is the sea of invasive warnings and vetos Vista issues while trying to perform the smallest task - for example telling me I don't have sufficient priviledges to delete files on my PC.. and the fact then that once you've spent hours googling in an effort to stop it harassing you, it still pesters you with dire warnings about disabling all the nanny software..

I have never had any probs doing anything........the sun always shines on me lol

I've used Vista and Windows 7 both as soon as they were available to Microsoft Technet subscribers and i've not had many (any?) issues with either.

Having said that, I much prefer Windows7. I much prefer the new taskbar :D

Back to PVO_Daves question, yes I'd upgrade, for £28 it's well worth it. Bear in mind that in Europe you get the full version of win 7 anyway since MS are not selling an upgrade version here.

... you had a new laptop for your mum? It's a new Toshiba laptop, and the upgrade can be had for about £28.

She's not a heavy user, mainly email, browsing and the many stupid games on Facebook.

I've not used Windows 7 much at all, is it worth the cost / effort of upgrade for what is basically just an internet user?

She doesn't know anything about this (birthday present from my grandad to her), and I'm sure she wouldn't care / know the difference in operating systems.

Dave.

I've recently bought the upgrade for £12 (postage costs allegedly), And Yes I do recommend the upgrade, after all its a fraction of the price.

Why pay more for a Full Install Disc when you can get the same OS for a fraction of the cost even if it is £28 quid? Sure beats paying full price.:wacky:

The reason I recommend the upgrade is because Im... a techno geek, I just gotta have the latest... if I can afford it.. :LOL:

And to be honest I'd rather have linux running, but the its abit complicated for the Mrs to use. (and I've been warned not to dual boot the new laptop :naughty:).

I have vista works fine......why dont people like it.

I had vista on my last laptop, never had any problems until the hardware started to fail. I had vista on this laptop (just a few weeks old) and only paid for the upgrade because it was £12 quid.

I haven't had many issues with Vista, still more than I had with XP but the my main bug bear with Vista is the constant warnings you have to agree to all the time! I'm kicking myself for not buying the upgrade earlier when it was on offer instead of having to pay £65.

On another note how can Apple give you an upgrade for £20?!

I have and use all 3

Vista on my laptop - works fine.

XP on my desktop - works fine but as MS will stop supporting it, I thought I'd upgrade to Windows 7. Did a clean install on my desktop PC and I can now boot into either XP or W7. I do like look of Windows 7 and seems to run pretty quick.

I would recommend Windows 7 purely because it's new and would cost you more to upgrade later. Vista didn't get great reviews and to have the latest version that is fully supported just adds a little more longetivity.

Just my thoughts.

i wouldnt recommend buying OEM microsoft products off of ebay, might be ok in the short term but in the long run its false economy, my copy of windows xp pro has just for example now stopped passing WGA authorisation because according to microsoft the software should never have been sold because its on a volume company license, dispite the sticker saying OEM on it....

on windows 7 - im pleased with it thus far, its not wound me up something rotten like s***sta!

the answer to this question irrespective of the OS you had before is "yes".

I'd like confirm that the Upgrade disc infact allows you to boot from the DVD and has a big shiny button labeled "Install Now". I'll try and do a clean install when I get some spare time.

TBH I couldnt wait to say bye to Vista on my PC and laptop. Unstability was the main concern, plus I found it was difficult to navigate round.
Windows 7 really is what Vista should have been, its almost a relief to get a system I am comfortable with and doesnt get hicoughs at least once every sesion.
My opinion, go for it without a doubt.

Regards XP, Windows 7 does seem better in many ways, but I never had problems with XP. If 7 hadnt been released, I would have downgraded from Vista back to XP. If its a straight choice, go for the latest OS, Windows 7.

Go with the Upgrade, ive just installed Windows 7 and much prefer it to Vista, ive been using Vista since it came out and wouldnt go back to it.

I clean installed too using the upgrade disk. No problems at all.

I never really had any issues at all with Vista , i was running Vista Ultimate 64bit , it worked well for me .
Now running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium , i like it, but it's really just a souped up version of Vista . It runs a little faster and looks a little fancier.

Still running XP on my lap top .

Having done a few Windows 7 installs today, I would say hell yes. It's like being given a faster machine for nothing. Versus Vista, the whole thing feels snappy and responsive and intrudes on your day-to-day far less.

I have to say that based on my experiences (I also had Beta and RC versions too, so I'm not speaking from 1 day's worth of exposure) I would recommend that all Vista users consider the jump to Win 7. XP much less so, but in time it may be beneficial.

Cheers,
James

Vista! :razz::bat:

I've a home network that worked flawlessly with XP then bought a new laptop with vista and looked great but programs I ran on XP suddenly were slower and used more resources to do less less quickly. Constant problems with being disconected to the wireless router and having to go through booksworth of warnings before telling me there wasn't a problem which there clearly was.

Another laptop, 2 desktops running XP with no problems. Playstation3, XBox 360, a multitude of small games consols, wireless printer, wireless backup, NAT, all functioning perfectly, everything but my shiny new Vista lappy :bang:

Solution, dual booted with XP and problem solved. Now I've upgraded to W7, all but 1 desktop which has XP and everything is rosy, no issues at all with the same router.

Vista, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Rant over :D

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm sold! I've ditched Windows altogether personally, and gone to the dark/white? side, but might upgrade the other halfs Vista machine, I dont have any grudge with Windows in general, but Vista has not been a great experience on that machine - it's currently struggling with the time service... A CLOCK! lol

Hopefully Windows 7 will make my mums life (and my life by the means of less 'support calls') easier :D

Any idea how long the disc takes to turn up?

Ta,
Dave.

I have never had any probs doing anything........the sun always shines on me lol

Don't worry. There's a 4 bed det exec dwellinghouse bringing shadow your way next year. ;)

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm sold! I've ditched Windows altogether personally, and gone to the dark/white? side, but might upgrade the other halfs Vista machine, I dont have any grudge with Windows in general, but Vista has not been a great experience on that machine - it's currently struggling with the time service... A CLOCK! lol

Hopefully Windows 7 will make my mums life (and my life by the means of less 'support calls') easier :D

Any idea how long the disc takes to turn up?

Ta,
Dave.

Took just under 2 weeks to come for mine.
Some company in Singapore took payment, and the dvd came from Budapest.

Fingers crossed then... her birthday is on the 2nd of December :D

I got Windows 7 for £30 using my brothers friend Student Email account even though I am not a student. Downloaded it and will install over the weekend. :D

Windows 7 is by far the best.......... I use software at work that has never been updated by the manufacturers and only works in XP so I have to have an XP machine.

Windows 7 (Pro and above) has an XP mode, allowing you to run software in XP.
I have had Windows 7 at home for about 4-5 months now and absolutely love it. I had Vista for a couple of years and actually didnt mind it once I got the correct drivers for my devices.

Jolster: I think the pop ups someone was refering to is the UAC control box that pops up when you make any changes. Can be very annoying as it pops up too easily and then again to confirm and again etc

Back