Windows 7: would you upgrade if...

I've been using 64 bit vista since it came out, not really had a problem with it asides having to look a bit harder for 64 bit drivers for my printer. I use Vista at home on one computer only and wonder how so many folk have problems with it, is it perhaps insufficient memory to run it properly.
Pop ups, the UAC asking you if you really want to allow this or that, they can be switched off. As for using Vista in the workplace I can't comment cos I don't use a computer at work so maybe there are problems there, networking etc. It's always been nippy enough for me, programs load quite fast.

I just did a fresh install of Win 7 on a friends computer at the weekend, admittedly it seemed faster to install but it seems to leave you hanging after it has loaded files into ram to prepare the installation, at times you don't know if the computer has hung or not as there is no indication of progress until later, a impatient user may switch off and start again.
His printer Dell 924 AIO has been rendered useless as there is no driver for it, similar problem that everyone complained about when Vista came out, I daresay there have been similar problems with other hardware too.
Outlook Express has been removed from Win 7 so Thunderbird has now been put in its place, Don't like being forced to use MS for email via their Livemail program, Gates really wants to rule the half the planets email.

Cold bootup is not much faster, perhaps a millisecond or two, shutdown is faster though. It looks pretty though, nice eye candy and some nice new functions. I'm still not sure whether to upgrade yet or not.

Yer update buddy, if it was XP then I would say not to bother but Vista is so awful that the £28 would be more than worthit.

If the Laptop is working nice & stable then leave it alone

as they say

If it aint broke , don't fix it

(I've got 4 PCs running Windows 7, they behave just the same as when they had Vista on :shrug:)

Just curious where are you all getting the official upgrade for 28 quid?
In the ad's Ive seen they seem to be priced in the region of £60 to £70.

I have been running Vista Ultimate 64bit for a while which has been fast and stable (Faster than XP 32bit and 64bit in gaming) I am now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit which is a little faster again, and feels a bit more polished. I would say upgrade!

Ok between you guys and elsewhere and after installing it on friends computer for him and played arouind with it I've just been out and bought it. Gonna go and set it up now.
Wife doesn't know yet. she will just think it's new wallpaper. :shrug:

Sorry, comes with Vista Home Premium

Not a big fan of Vista myself! (is anyone?!)

I have had Vista on both laptop and my tower and never had any problems as long as you keep it upto date it work fine I have just got win 7 for the tower and its works find with a few nice new bits but all working the same apart froom a little quicker

Windows 7 is by far the best.......... I use software at work that has never been updated by the manufacturers and only works in XP so I have to have an XP machine.

Windows 7 (Pro and above) has an XP mode, allowing you to run software in XP.
I have had Windows 7 at home for about 4-5 months now and absolutely love it. I had Vista for a couple of years and actually didnt mind it once I got the correct drivers for my devices.

Jolster: I think the pop ups someone was refering to is the UAC control box that pops up when you make any changes. Can be very annoying as it pops up too easily and then again to confirm and again etc

How does one access this XP Mode?

The first release of Vista was buggy and should never have got to release state.

The service packs and updates have fixed a lot of problems and Vista is now very stable and very well supported. Microsoft basically undermined the credibility of the OS by rushing it out the door and have been paying for it ever since even though it is now quite a good OS.

I run a mix of Linux, XP and Vista machines here and have no problems with any of them. I was on the MS Win 7 Beta and RC test program and ran it on two machines. The RC was good to go but did have some problems with some programs that needed XP compatibility mode to run. From most accounts these were fixed in the final release and for a first release of a new OS it does seem very stable.

The rule of thumb with any new OS is to wait for the first service pack before upgrading. Windows 7 may have broken this by getting it very right for the majority of users first time out of the box. I'll still wait for the first service pack before I consider upgrading any machines but that is just me being conservative and having the experience of having to fix machines of early movers to a new OS in the past. Maybe, just maybe, Microsoft have finally delivered what Vista promised.

John

If you haven't already decided then upgrade, well worth it.
I used to run a mixture of XP Pro32, Vista Ult64 and Linux. XP & Linux are lovely, Vista blows.
Driver failure/compatability errors for Creative and ATi products. Poor plug-in support for 3rd party apps such as Punkbuster (constant API errors and heartbeat issues).
Just generally a buggy, lag ridden embarassment to Microsoft.

I now run 7 on all machines with no issues at all, everything just 'works'.

Don't know if I'm alone but it seems to load PS CS3 in a whole lot quicker, before on VistA it was almost 15 seconds to load up, now on Win 7 its like 3 to 4 seconds.

i just updgraded from vista to 7...there is no way back!!!!
7 is much more efficient, quicker and ..stable!
i got a lot of error message, firewall that couldnt be activated under vista etc

Back