Windows on an iMac

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I am enjoying the use of my iMacs but I don't have all of the software available that I do on my Windows PC and I can't use my Samsung laser printer as Apple don't support it, so I've been looking at options for running Windows on the iMac. I've trialed Crossover and that sort of works but it isn't ideal and I've discounted the idea of using Wine or similar as it's outside of my comfort zone.
I know Bootcamp or Parallels would be an option but when I was doing a bit of reading I came across:-
If you’re just a home user who also has a Windows PC, you could configure that Windows PC for remote access and connect to it whenever you need a Windows application.

For me, that sounds like a plan but how would I do that?

Hi

Do you mean remote from your Mac to the windows Pc/laptop and use that from the Mac?

If yes, you need to make sure the windows machine has a static IP, and then download remote desktop from the Apple Mac store and connected to the windows machine using your windows credentials.

By default, you need Windows 10 Pro on the PC side to make this work: How to use Remote Desktop (microsoft.com) (other solutions are available)

Once you have that working all you need do is turn to your Mac, press CMD-K and the "Connect to Server" dialogue will pop up. Type in RDP://192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP address of the Windows machine is) and you should be away.

Hi

Do you mean remote from your Mac to the windows Pc/laptop and use that from the Mac?
Thanks, that's exactly what I mean:)
By default, you need Windows 10 Pro on the PC side to make this work: How to use Remote Desktop (microsoft.com) (other solutions are available)

Once you have that working all you need do is turn to your Mac, press CMD-K and the "Connect to Server" dialogue will pop up. Type in RDP://192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP address of the Windows machine is) and you should be away.
Ah ... Windows Home on the laptop so that's another hoop to jump :LOL:

Download the remote desktop app from Mac app store, find the IP of the laptop and try connecting using the app.

If that works, you can either set a static IP on the router for the windows machine, or on the machine it self.

I am sure I have used it with Windows 7.

I use Remote Desktop on my MacBook Pro to connect to my Windows 2019 server in France.
Needs a decentish net connection mind.
I also use it on my iPad for the same. Quite weird using windows on an iPad!

Last edited:
Download the remote desktop app from Mac app store, find the IP of the laptop and try connecting using the app.

If that works, you can either set a static IP on the router for the windows machine, or on the machine it self.

I am sure I have used it with Windows 7.
Doesn't seem to like that just get errors. :)

Doesn't seem to like that just get errors. :)
Sorry, I may have edited the above post as you were writing this. Andrew is correct, windows home does not support remote desktop.

Is it just the printing that is an issue?

Back