Windows tablet, Lightroom 5 and working remotely.

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all, I originally posted this in the post processing forum but after 86views and no comments I thought I might have more luck in this forum.

So here's what I want to do. I want to take photos, stick the SD card in the tablet, import the photos into Lightroom(5) by adding them in their current location to a catalogue stored on the SD card, so that I can review and delete the rubbish before getting to a pc where the remaining images can be imported into the main catalogue I use.

The problem is I can't seem to add photos to the catalogue on the tablet, I can only copy them to a new location and I don't want to do that.

So, is there a trick I've missed which will allow me to work how I want to, or is there another mobile working workflow that could replace it?

Regards,
Kev

That reads to me, that you you are taking photos to a card that also has your catalog?

Think you need to clarify:confused:

You say you have a catalogue on the SD card and one on the tablet... is that right?

I would import photos from the SD card to the tablet, the catalogue would be on the tablet. Then edit what you like, and choose 'export as catalogue' this would create a folder with the selected images, file structure, and any processing. Then simply ingest that into the main desktop catalogue (copy the new folder from your tablet to your desktop however you like).

I thought Lightroom wouldn't allow you to store a catalogue on a removable disk? How have you managed it?

Apologies for the delayed response I got sidetracked by another project.

Lightroom will run from an SD card if you mount it as a virtual drive. At the minute I keep my main catalogues in a Onedrive folder and when the SD card is mounted Onedrive syncs the catalogue between my PC and my tablet.

So I think that if I partition the camera SD card I can keep a working catalogue in the new portion which can be made mounted as a virtual disc and then import the photos from the other part of the card in their current location.

That should be reasonably easy to try, the tricky bit is going to be combining that with trying to run magic lantern on the card too. I've no idea how I installed it last time other than a load of trial and error with added swearing.

Back