Windows Vista, yay or nay?

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently running MS windows XP x64, which tbh I've got no problem with.

I can install VISTA x64 Ultimate.

Question is do I?

1) This is not a debate of should I switch to Linux or Mac, I have Linux installed on my lappy, and may install it on my desktop at a later stage, but not at the moment.

I can't afford a Mac atm.

2) Anyone using Vista, how are you finding it?
(In particular any issues you have in particular with image apps)

3) Is it worth the hassle of upgrading it.

I have a;

Dual Xeon 2.8
3Gb of RAM (DDR 333 ECC, which is the fastest the board will take)
Radeon X850 XT PE - Will this run Aero?
Samsung 250Gb HDD
Creative Audigy 2 EX - have heard of problems with Creative cards, are drivers an issue?

Thanks in advance :)

2) Anyone using Vista, how are you finding it?
(In particular any issues you have in particular with image apps)

Yes, using it on my work machine (as is my collegue), my home workstation and both mine and Sue's laptops. I think its ace, fast, pretty to look at and works a treat. Lightroom/CS3 seem to be fine.

Wyvern said:
3) Is it worth the hassle of upgrading it.

Depends why you want to upgrade, theres really no hassle - its the same as any reformat.

Wyvern said:
I have a;

Dual Xeon 2.8
3Gb of RAM (DDR 333 ECC, which is the fastest the board will take)
Radeon X850 XT PE - Will this run Aero?
Samsung 250Gb HDD
Creative Audigy 2 EX - have heard of problems with Creative cards, are drivers an issue?

Thanks in advance :)

Hardware is more than capable. I'm running aero on an x800PE ;) AMD 3000+ with 1GB Ram. Also have the Audigy 2 ZS with no problems, just grab creative's vista drivers from their site.

Forgot to mention too - Don't get the 64bit version, theres no need.

Although your CPU is more than capable of running 64 bit applications, you won't be doing so (other than the OS). It causes more problems than it solves - drivers and applications alike.

Even with Windows 2003 server you only use the 64bit version if you're running a 64bit application such as Exchange 2007.

Ultimate 32-bit is what you should go for.

Yep, what Matt said (y)

The format / full install process is far more slick and streamlined that any previous version of windows, very simple and straight forward. It looks good, CS2 & CS3 run fine on it. I too have the Audigy sound card - you do need the Vista drivers for it but otherwise it's fine.

Worth mentioning that I am also running a finance package (Quicken) which is 2004 software. Initially it wouldn't install, saying it wasn't compatible with this OS so I gave the program compatibility wizard a go. It just asked what version of Windows I wanted it to be compatible with, I selected XP SP2 and it then installed and runs as well as it did on my old XP system :)

That's good news Grendel, I still use Quicken2000 :)

I'm happy with the upgrade for the most part. However, you will have problems with some programs initially, most of which can be resolved by running the programs as administrator or in a compatibility mode.

I've found it pretty good, and only had a few problems with Premiere, so nothing for you to worry about by the sounds of it.

As long as you don't have any legacy peripherals from a bygone age, I reckon you should be able to get away with it!

Your system is more than, ahem, b33fy enough to cope!

Cheers,
James

That's good news Grendel, I still use Quicken2000 :)

Yeah I was very worried when I tried installing it and it wouldn't run, my whole financial life is in Quicken :eek: They pulled out of the UK market so there will never be a version higher than 2004 over here :shake: But, as I said, it runs perfectly using the compatibility mode :)

Right depending on the weather on Sunday I'll give it a bash (i.e. if it's raining I'll give it a go)

Honestly guys - you've all missed the most important point - AGAIN!

George, the only thing you need to worry about is what it looks like.

it looks purdy :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

It sure does with Kiera Knightly as my desktop wallpaper :love: :love: :love:

I hoped you blocked Bubbs' IP. otherwise you're in trouble :LOL: :LOL:

in which case you may as well experiment with the George Foreman / Hair Straightener combi travel tool :)

I hoped you blocked Bubbs' IP. otherwise you're in trouble :LOL: :LOL:

in which case you may as well experiment with the George Foreman / Hair Straightener combi travel tool :)

I'm safe for now, she's away in Manchester, and she took her Hair straightening toasted sandwich maker with her lol :LOL:

I've got Vista on my new laptop and XP on the rest of the PCs and it's not given me any urge to part with £70 per machine for the 'upgrade'. Even if it was free I don't think the new bells & whistles would be worth the time/hassle involved :)

I guess I will eventually... and I mean eventually... 'cos I have to.

Forgot to mention too - Don't get the 64bit version, theres no need.

I thought 64-bit allowed you to run more than 3GB memory? I've been thinking of changing for that reason alone.

I think it'll allow 4GB but it depends on your hardware as to how much of it over 3GB you can see.

He's only got 3GB anyway at the moment and he's getting it through work anyway so its not like he's got to choose an edition to buy ;)

I like it myself but am still on XP until the little tools and utils i run all work on it then will switch and have had the slow file copy problem when i last tried it but hopefully thats fixed now.

Will prob switch again in next few months

Staying with XP until MS fix the slow network issues and various others with SP1

Back