North England Winnats Pass lit up - lasers & smoke

Hows things Iain? Not seen ya for awhile mate.

Thanks for the link, looks good (y), will give you a shout if I decide to have a look, cheers

Hows things Iain? Not seen ya for awhile mate.

Thanks for the link, looks good (y), will give you a shout if I decide to have a look, cheers

Not three bad Phil. Ages since we last met up - unfortunately the longer meets favoured since then don't work for me. Maybe manage to sort out an evening shoot somewhere now we are back to short days.
Any luck with the last few nights aurora?

Cheers for pointing that out, might have a look! Its a little over an hour from me so might be worth the journey!

About an hour or so for me as well Tom but I like the idea of something a bit different from inversions at Winnats.

@morfis Me and Dan @drooke are thinking of going down Thursday evening Iain, hopefully might be the quieter of the 3 mights?? When you going down?

Yes, we'll definitely after get a night sorted, short notice is good for me (y)

Tbh, I've been a bit half hearted with the recent alerts, weathers been crap and when it was good the other Friday, it didn't show.

The wife's just shown me some shots from the fireworks in Blackpool, apparently is was showing but I didn't see any alerts.

I can do Thursday ;-)

I'll also have to have a look and see if there is anywhere more central for us for night-time. Much as I like places like Batty Moss it's a bit of a trek for a couple of hours.

Going back to my additional topic.......
Friday was the best for weather down here with aurora visible along the North Wales Coast as well as a bit over Cumbria. Early hours Saturday was better but I'd had a wee dram so driving not sensible then!

What are you using for alerts? if something that is purely Kp measure then probably not so good. You need to look at a wider range of what's happening and then use something like clearoutside.com to check the weather.
If working then www.glendaleskye.com/aurora-alerts/ can be useful as it includes peoples recent sightings (though bear in mind there seem to be a lot of people that believe light pollution is aurora!) as well as all of the pertinent measured data.

Has anyone gone to this yet? I'm considering going tonight but not sure if it's worth the 1.5 hour round trip?

I'm on Mam Tor now. Making a day of it :)
Can imagine the view will be good from there. Any idea whether they'll close the road through winnats pass itself? I guess they're going to have to. Just wondering about the best place to park. I would normally come from hope/Castleton side but can imagine the roads and car park will be crazy. I could go the longer way and come in from the top but not sure where I'd be able to park.

Has anyone gone to this yet? I'm considering going tonight but not sure if it's worth the 1.5 hour round trip?

Several TPers there on Thursday. We had two ambulances go down the pass after they'd closed it to traffic. Would have made good light trails but they were far too slow!

Difficult to know what to say about it. It certainly looked good from above (and the videos I've seen from underneath look good too) but photographically I didn't find it particularly interesting or inspiring. From above it almost looked as though there was a part missing but that is less obvious when looked at from below (as it's meant to be viewed just above head height).

Weather forecast is pretty much dry this evening (the artist actually hoped it would rain so that it adds to the water experience) but with full cloud cover which might limit other local photo opportunities (Milky way was clear on Thursday as well as there being some good colour in the sky before sunset).

I definitely think it's worth going to see....so much so I am thinking of popping back over (it's around a 2 hour round trip for me) and trying again.

Several TPers there on Thursday. We had two ambulances go down the pass after they'd closed it to traffic. Would have made good light trails but they were far too slow!

Difficult to know what to say about it. It certainly looked good from above (and the videos I've seen from underneath look good too) but photographically I didn't find it particularly interesting or inspiring. From above it almost looked as though there was a part missing but that is less obvious when looked at from below (as it's meant to be viewed just above head height).

Weather forecast is pretty much dry this evening (the artist actually hoped it would rain so that it adds to the water experience) but with full cloud cover which might limit other local photo opportunities (Milky way was clear on Thursday as well as there being some good colour in the sky before sunset).

I definitely think it's worth going to see....so much so I am thinking of popping back over (it's around a 2 hour round trip for me) and trying again.
Thanks very much for this. So it's meant to be viewed from the bottom? This answers which way I'll drive to it then (y)

Can imagine the view will be good from there. Any idea whether they'll close the road through winnats pass itself? I guess they're going to have to. Just wondering about the best place to park. I would normally come from hope/Castleton side but can imagine the roads and car park will be crazy. I could go the longer way and come in from the top but not sure where I'd be able to park.

The bottom of the pass won't be visible from the top of Mam Tor - and it's the cattle grid to 90 degree bend bottom section of the pass that is lit.
Loads of parking at the bottom (overflow into fields). At the top the laybys filled suddenly as it was getting dark (we were already there) and when we left there were cars all along the side of the roads. Pass shut to vehicles from 19:00 to 23:00.

The bottom of the pass won't be visible from the top of Mam Tor - and it's the cattle grid to 90 degree bend bottom section of the pass that is lit.
Loads of parking at the bottom (overflow into fields). At the top the laybys filled suddenly as it was getting dark (we were already there) and when we left there were cars all along the side of the roads. Pass shut to vehicles from 19:00 to 23:00.
Ok thanks. Guess I'll be parking at the bottom and walking up then. Cheers for the info (y)

It was lucky that I didn't feel inspired...I had three tripods in the car and picked up the one that I had removed the head from. In true TP Northern Massive style there was a certain amount of sharing of kit ;-)

This was handheld and probably the best (which will give you an idea of how bad the others were!) of the few photos I took after dark:

handheld by Iain Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yep crazy. Started queuing from Bamford so turned round and went home o_O

Yep crazy. Started queuing from Bamford so turned round and went home o_O

Apparently they were expecting around 1,000 people and 10,000 turned up.

Wasn't very impressed with it to be honest, I mean, it was good but could have been better. Lots of people with tripods and I can't imagine any of them got better shots than handheld.

Back