Wintery scenes in Glencoe

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Technically this is Autumn but it was cold enough to be winter...a square crop of one from earlier this year

_DSC3877 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I've shown this scene as a 2:1 countless times, however I came across an old card and found one I took at a slightly longer FL which I probably did so I could make a 16:9 version but when I got home I never did. Two years later and well...it was lovely and clear and more importantly dead still but by christ it was cold.

_DSC4017 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Loch Tulla - one from early in 2016. I had a great morning in Glencoe and stopped off here on the way back hoping some light would come through. It didn't. It was also very cold. This hi-key processing isn't my normal way of doing things but the original is just so flat. I keep meaning to do this composition come summer or autumn - this year for sure.

_DSC7054 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

One from last winter. Again very cold but once the sun was out it wasn't so bad.

_DSC2386_Rendition 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Lovely, as usual Steve. The only one that lacks a little is the mono, where the atmosphere doesn't seem to be there - perhaps dropping clarity somewhat could soften the trees on the island for a little softening in sympathy with the misty background?

Lovely, as usual Steve. The only one that lacks a little is the mono, where the atmosphere doesn't seem to be there - perhaps dropping clarity somewhat could soften the trees on the island for a little softening in sympathy with the misty background?

Thanks and maybe. The original bar the composition is a bit of a turd and I wonder if I’ve spent too much time turd polishing. Whilst processing is vital the real magic happens on location and in camera. You just have to show up and let nature do the rest.

Great set again Steve.love the tones of no2, and I really like no3 as well.

Thinking I might head up tomorrow for a look around....

Last edited:
Loch Tulla - one from early in 2016. I had a great morning in Glencoe and stopped off here on the way back hoping some light would come through. It didn't. It was also very cold. This hi-key processing isn't my normal way of doing things but the original is just so flat. I keep meaning to do this composition come summer or autumn - this year for sure. <-----------Really ? the mind boggles :LOL::LOL::LOL::p

_DSC7054 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

One from last winter. Again very cold but once the sun was out it wasn't so bad.

LOL @Graham - I have already written off 2018 and am planning my shoots for 2019 and beyond. Other than workshop guiding I will not be visiting/shooting that area until mid to late May. Just got to get through the next six months....Grrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Personally I think your mono is the best one! Just goes to show there is no right or wrong just a difference of opinion ... all of them are cool the first one would be my favourite but for me there is something not quite right (don’t ask me what it is)

Personally I think your mono is the best one! Just goes to show there is no right or wrong just a difference of opinion ... all of them are cool the first one would be my favourite but for me there is something not quite right (don’t ask me what it is)

Thanks - I've been mulling the first over and I think it's the edge of the rock on the far left side. I may crop it but worry that brings the trees too close to the edge and moves the mountain off center. For me, its the 2nd and last. The mono seemed a good idea at the time but the conditions just aren't "me".

I really like all of these!

I haven't ever been to Scotland, just need the kids to grow up and then we're free to get up there!

Thanks. It’s only an 8 hour drive up the motorway but lots of stuff like this in north wales and you’re equidistant to the Alps ;)

Without bringing another thread into this one you know where I’d aim for with 8hours worth of tarmac in the way...

But not dogs and campervans. They’re not welcome ;)

dogs are fine. Campervans are not the problem. The drivers are. Slow and dangerous drivers are not welcome anywhere. Period.

First couple classics are very nice Steve, 3rd isnt really working imo but I think you know that. 4th is nice but the patch of blue sky is distracting imo, would have worked better with full cloud cover.

First couple classics are very nice Steve, 3rd isnt really working imo but I think you know that. 4th is nice but the patch of blue sky is distracting imo, would have worked better with full cloud cover.

Thanks.

3 was a good idea for a friday night in when I was bored. - it seemed like a good idea then but in the cold light of day I wanna bin it and undo the fact I made it..I cannot do B&W like you can - you are the absolutely king of it and truth be told I don't care for it other than the composition - which really needs my sort of colour (read June to October) and lighting (well you know me) to be a "me picture". I've got a few pictures I missed from an old card that are much more me to be cracking on with.

Two is me, but I don't agree re the blue sky in the last but I can see why you said it. I like blue skies but I know they are not for you.

I dont mind blue skies, but patches of blue I'm not keen on. I think the blue would be fine if there was more of it and equally spread across the frame. imo the having more blue on the RHS unbalances it a little. Still lovely just being ultra picky.

Back