Wndows 7 (Beta) First impressions

On boot a post boot screen comes up with windows 7 highlighted. and directly underneath there is a restore windows original settings which you you have to press the down arrow key(quickly) This should set it back to the original OS

another option is to get Norton Ghost or Acronis to take an image of your pc then if it goes tits up you can reset the pc to that snapshot image of you drive no harm done :)

This is the Beta version? I thought they all were untill about service pack 3??? Wayne:LOL:

How big a partition does windows 7 need, I have plenty room, any problems dual booting by putting this onto a second physical drive and keeping my original vista in place on the first drive.?

I'm also very tempted to try it out for myself! But MikeeB had come up with exactly what was on my mind as well, and so far, no-one had actually come up with the answer.
I know it's a beta version so I do understand that when and if it goes belly up, I'm completely on my own but I don't want to find my PC being locked out on me once August 2009 comes around.

Yeah thats the worry. I'm not sure if its worth the risk.

just read this on the download page

So we'll need a Vista disc to reinstall it....this is more and more confusing. Will it just write over Windows 7 or will it require a reformat. :thinking:

On boot a post boot screen comes up with windows 7 highlighted. and directly underneath there is a restore windows original settings which you you have to press the down arrow key(quickly) This should set it back to the original OS

Sure? I thought that was just if the OS was having problems booting. I.e a sort of safe mode.

Reading the Microsoft Windows 7 Blog, as a response to the screw-up they made on release i.e. they didn't foresee the huge demand for download (it can be argued they should have), so had to delay the product release to get more servers on-line.

This is their response:

Due to an enormous surge in demand, the download experience was not ideal so we listened and took the necessary steps to ensure a good experience. We have clearly heard that many of you want to check out the Windows 7 Beta and, as a result, we have decided remove the initial 2.5 million limit on the public beta for the next two weeks (thru January 24th). During that time you will have access to the beta even if the download number exceeds the 2.5 million unit limit

Was going to say still not downloading, then I thought...I'm using firefox. Fired up internet explorer and it started downloading straight away. Wonder if MS detected FF and said stuff you. ;)

Was going to say still not downloading, then I thought...I'm using firefox. Fired up internet explorer and it started downloading straight away. Wonder if MS detected FF and said stuff you. ;)

I had to switch to IE to download it too.

LOl, interestingly, if you have multiple tabs open in IE, and hover your mouse over the IE icon in the taskbar, previews pop up of all the tabs (or pages that you have open)

11-01-2009%2020-29-18.jpg

However if you have multiple tabs open in firefox, only the currently selected page is visible (not all tabs/pages)

11-01-2009%2020-33-53.jpg

So I do think it's a case of 'stuff you' :)

I took the plunge and installed the beta version of Windows 7. The interface is a lot like Vista, apart from the quick launch toolbar has gone, it was almost the same. I have had it installed for the last two days. I need to wipe the hard drive anyway so I thought I have nothing to lose in test driving Microsofts latest offering. You can tell it is designed to be used with the future generation of touch screen monitors and maybe that isnt a bad idea. My bluetooth adapter worked with 7 whereas it didnt work at all with Vista. The OS is running smoothly and quite quickly although my windows performance score seems to have dropped from 3.0 to 2.2. Still have a lot more to explore but up to now I am impressed with the general feel, quickness and performance of the system.

Running it on a E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, with 8GB DDR2 RAM. With a RAID 0 Stripe. 64bit runs smoother that Vista. Must say MS seem to be doing well. I for one am happy, CS4 Master Collection Installed and Runs sweet as. Get a Rating of 6.9.

LOl, interestingly, if you have multiple tabs open in IE, and hover your mouse over the IE icon in the taskbar, previews pop up of all the tabs (or pages that you have open)

11-01-2009%2020-29-18.jpg

However if you have multiple tabs open in firefox, only the currently selected page is visible (not all tabs/pages)

11-01-2009%2020-33-53.jpg

So I do think it's a case of 'stuff you' :)

got it running ok, thats neat with the tabs...off to explore some more

Mate of mine installed it as a second OS and said it was much faster, but I was thinking would this not be because it wouldn't have all the other programs and stuff associated to it yet as is basically operating like a brand new computer which slows down as more stuff is installed?

I'd agree gman, whenever you do a fresh install things are nippier until you start filling it up with photoshop etc etc. Looks nice with fancy bits of eye candy and (at least on mine) it runs just about the same speed as my vista 64, bootup and shutdown. I don't see anything yet to convince me to make the change, I'll keep my vista for now.

Just timed the startups on my vista 64 and windows 7. from pressing enter key at dual boot screen, Windows 7 was 40 seconds and vista 38.6 seconds

Slightly off topic but do you reckon 64-bit is worth going to? I'm wondering if that extra 1GB of ram in my 4GB system will make any major performance improvements?

Don't know if I'd say it was worth it, I had a 64 bit cpu so I went for the 64 bit system, but if you've been happy with what you've got why change it.

I also have a 2 gb laptop and 32 bit vista and to be honest I dont see a lot of difference, maybe in photoshop a couple of things are slightly nippier on the desktop ie opening a lot of raw files at once or applying noiseware to a photo, the progress bar seems to move faster on the 4 gb system than the 2 gb laptop.

I think 64 bit depends a lot on your cpu, if it can handle 64 bit, is it worth the hassle and expense if your happy with what youve got. only you can decide that.
Reason I got 64 bit was a new desktop computer

It's a Quad Core Extreme 3.0 - not sure if it's 64-bit? I reckon I'll stay 32-bit - nothing is broke so there's no point me messing things up! lol

ill be trying this tonight i think see what its like but im sure they said you need a touch screen to uase the os

They are building (or plan to) touch screen technology into the OS, but will run quite happily on normal monitors.

i did think it was crazy to have os that was meant to be the vista take over to recover the big hit they had over it...

then make a os for touch screen????????
how many people own one of those??
it didnt make sense to me

Grrrrr....I downloaded it and the zip file is corrupt. :(

It's not a zip file, it's an ISO

IMO, if you don't have much of a clue about PCs, you should leave Beta OSs alone!

IMO, if you don't have much of a clue about PCs, you should leave Beta OSs alone!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a nice, friendly and polite entrance ;)

Gary.

Your right by saying its not a zip file, but it is an unattached file format just like both RAR and ZIP. It merges a series of files into one single file according to a definite format.

so although the term zip was wrong the usage was not !

Grrrrr....I downloaded it and the iso file is corrupt. :(

anyway we knew what he meant !!

:nuts: that has to be the best 1st post I have seen on any forum :clap:

Well Pete didn't like it .It wanted to debug everything so decided to restore back to Vista.
EASY YOU THINK?.... NO WAY.
He has had to do a format and full reinstall of Vista ,took 6 hours so far.....SO BEWARE
He wishes he had put it onto a virtual harddrive.

At last Im back lol...well after a full day trying to restore my PC and get back to my original vista settings which MS7 would not allow me to do even though I created a back up and thought that I had this on a seperate partition I eventually had to format and reinstall vista and all my other software and 7 hrs later I am nearly half way.

As for WIN7 I personally dont think its quite ready for public testing yet it should still be in its Alpha stage as everything I tried to do was simply coming up with the DeBug box and wanting to debug everything so I sent this report to MS but in whole I think once the little niggly stuff is ironed out it will be better than Vista.

I remember the beta stage of Longhorn and geez that was bad so really this is a much better beta but as I say should still be an Alpha for a few more months

Stange everything here seems to work. Touch Wood, everything has worked. All of Adobe, Office 2007, AutoCad, Inventor. All my normal apps run. AVG works a treat. Vista Firewall Control works like a dream. My Dual Screen Setup is fine too. Will keep testing ***.

Stange everything here seems to work. Touch Wood, everything has worked. All of Adobe, Office 2007, AutoCad, Inventor. All my normal apps run. AVG works a treat. Vista Firewall Control works like a dream. My Dual Screen Setup is fine too. Will keep testing ***.

Everything worked fine for me apart from the annoying debug screen everytime I opened an application so apart from that and the inability to restore back to Vista its okish once its released to the public to buy I wouldnt hesitate to buy it as it seems fine and better laid out than vista but as it is now and its still in its infancy I think I am sticking to Vista and let someone else do the testing lol(y)

Yes, it was an ISO but I referred to WinZip because that was the default app associated to it - was using my work pc which doesn't have any ISO tools and being Monday and at work I wasn't exactly paying much attention. When trying to extract it came across a corrupted file but perhaps it's because it was Winzip being used that caused the problem?

Anyway, forgive me for not being infallible but better that in my opinion that an arrogant arse with a bad attitude.

Back