Critique Woburn Deer Park - Off-Road Tour

D

Dinsdale

After a couple of years planning then failing to get on one of these tours, I at last managed to do so on Sunday. Boy was it worth it. The weather was fairly good and the deer were only too happy to play with us. The keepers were very friendly, informative and nothing was too much trouble.
Here's a sample of the shots I managed to get, with more on my Flickr account if you'd care to pop along to view them.
As always, I'd really appreciate any comments or critique you have.

1)

WoburnDeer-3
by Richard Walton, on Flickr

2)

WoburnDeer-46

3)

WoburnDeer-74

4)

WoburnDeer-29

5)

WoburnDeer-28

6)

WoburnDeer-25

You know, I asked for critique so that I could learn/improve. But, after almost 60 views without so much as a "s*** photos" comment, these must be really good. (y)

Some great images there, 2 and 4 being my favourites

You know, I asked for critique so that I could learn/improve. But, after almost 60 views without so much as a "s*** photos" comment, these must be really good. (y)

I've been there myself and I've always taken it as meaning fair to middling, nothing great, nothing significant that could be improved upon. I don't really feel I have the experience to offer you much by the way of critique however since you asked, for me these are some fairly good record photos of deer in parkland. #1 is perhaps the best with the subject nicely framed by the trees but it may benefit from cropping off the bottom and right to make the deer more prominent. It's also a bit of a shame that the fencing is visible in 4 and 5.

I am not saying that this is the way to do it but I am just suggesting some ways to
improve on the rendition of your shots… maybe add a WOW effect!

WoburnDeer-25%201.jpg

I've been there myself and I've always taken it as meaning fair to middling, nothing great, nothing significant that could be improved upon. I don't really feel I have the experience to offer you much by the way of critique however since you asked, for me these are some fairly good record photos of deer in parkland. #1 is perhaps the best with the subject nicely framed by the trees but it may benefit from cropping off the bottom and right to make the deer more prominent. It's also a bit of a shame that the fencing is visible in 4 and 5.

Totally agree with your comments. I'm always happy to hear critique from anyone, provided it's constructive. Also, experience aside, giving constructive critique will assist you, in that by reviewing/discussing others works, you will become more proficient in your own work. That's why I try to offer my thoughts when I see others work.

With regards cropping in #1 I see where you're coming from and to some extent agree. There are others on here though, who will extol the virtues of rule of thirds etc. and state that the subject isn't off centre enough. They too are indeed correct; it's all a matter of taste. :)

With regards to the fence in 4 & 5, that's the problem with shooting at Woburn; a lot of the time fences are visible. I did try to clone some out but it looked un-natural and obvious what's happened. :)

Thanks for you input, it's really appreciated.

I am not saying that this is the way to do it but I am just suggesting some ways to
improve on the rendition of your shots… maybe add a WOW effect!

WoburnDeer-25%201.jpg
Sorry boss. I think it looks too dark and rather than "Wow" it looks "Oh dear" No pun intended. :)

With regards cropping in #1 I see where you're coming from and to some extent agree. There are others on here though, who will extol the virtues of rule of thirds etc. and state that the subject isn't off centre enough. They too are indeed correct; it's all a matter of taste.

I was thinking crop it so that Deer's antlers are about the bottom right third - something like this

deercrop.jpg

2 and 5 for me too Dinsdale, I went down for a day out a few weeks back and to do a recce of the place with a view to booking for next year as I missed out on this years, it seems to be very popular with nine species of deer on the estate, when I phoned up it was fully booked by April of this year but I'll definitely try and get myself a place on next years tour.

Woburn is a place I visit often during the rut, it can be great but also frustrating when the deer are out of reach of the public footpaths. It looks like the gamble on the weather was ok, fences and those tree protectors are things to watch out for. You have a good mix of Red Deer and Sikas too.

I like 5 and 6, but I think I would really like them if the distracting logs were cloned out.

I like 5 and 6, but I think I would really like them if the distracting logs were cloned out.
Thanks for your comment and whilst I fully understand that it is a matter of your taste/opinion, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I'm trying to be a photographer and not an artist. Although I'm guilty of messing around with photos to intentionally create a picture - see my "many me" threads - I believe in recording the image/scene I was presented with. Aside from cropping and toying with levels to get a more pleasing photo, or bring out detail, I don't believe in cloning out huge chunks of scenery. To do that, you might as well take it right off the rails and Photoshop in a Ben Nevis backdrop.

Thanks for your comment and whilst I fully understand that it is a matter of your taste/opinion, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I'm trying to be a photographer and not an artist. Although I'm guilty of messing around with photos to intentionally create a picture - see my "many me" threads - I believe in recording the image/scene I was presented with. Aside from cropping and toying with levels to get a more pleasing photo, or bring out detail, I don't believe in cloning out huge chunks of scenery. To do that, you might as well take it right off the rails and Photoshop in a Ben Nevis backdrop.

I mostly agree , but sometimes you get a bit of something in your photo that just detracts from it so much... That you couldn't have changed on the day , that can only be done in pp

You're not altering your subject , just a piece of inconsequential background that detracts from it

But that's my 2p

I mostly agree , but sometimes you get a bit of something in your photo that just detracts from it so much... That you couldn't have changed on the day , that can only be done in pp

You're not altering your subject , just a piece of inconsequential background that detracts from it

But that's my 2p
Nope that's furry muff :)

Back