Wollensak alphax shutter.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Just picked up a large format shutter from the car boot in amongst a load of bits. There is a collar epoxyed to the rear thread which I thought was just screwed on. It's obviously part of a contraption, I'm wondering now if it'd would be possible to get the collar off or if I'd be able to bodge it with the collar in place. Thoughts?

Irritatingly, most of the speeds are fine...

Last edited:
These require a specific and generally unobtainable shutter release ... had one gave it to a friend a couple of years ago who had a complete lens.

From your pictures it doesn't look like the shutter is internally threaded ? ...lots of these sorts of shutter were used on Osciloscope cameras and often the rear isn't threaded on those so they are just about worthless.

Even if the rear is threaded the Alphax sizes are in no wise identical to the Copal Prontor sizes etc so for most modern lenses it is of no use whatsoever.

Unless you find a set of Wollensack cells that fit it it is likely to remain a paper wieght or something you can experiment with but its unlikely to be useful as a practical LF shutter.

Probably not what you want to hear but others might know of which lenses this might fit.

Differnt shutter sizes

http://www.sizes.com/tools/shutter_photo.htm

Cheers @abbandon, it was £4 so if it's useless for a lens then that's no big deal; worth a punt. I wish I knew what the rest of the contraption was and feel a little guilty for splitting it but I expect it was beyond my understanding and time to play.

So now I have a virtually useless shutter, I'm thinking pinhole of the like.

Okay, According to @abbandon handy link above the front cell needs a thread of "1 7/32" any one know if/how I could fabricate a screw insert?

I'm thinking a bit of pipe threaded to go on the front of the shutter and fixing interchangeable zone plates and pinholes to it. I'll probably have to dremmel off that collar but at least I'll not have to worry about repairing the rear threads.

With a pinhole and Fomapan I'd only need the B/T option any way.

Back