Woman wants photo I took of her Husband and child deleted and not posted. Is she in her right?

If, as it seems, this was taken in a public place there is no reason (legally) to delete it - would be the same even if their faces were visible.

Tell her to p*** (swear filter:rolleyes:) off. She has no right to demand you delete or restrict it's publication.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the photo at all (and i like it :) ), but whether or not you delete it is up to you but you're not obliged to.

how did she find out about the pic in the first place? does she feel it may show her hubby endangering their child? i wouldn't delete it but i'd want to know what her problem was hth mike.

Thanks guys! I've had both her and now her husband Facebook message me asking for the photo to be taken down. crazy really... you'd think anybody would be over the moon to see a photo like this has been captured? The husband has messaged me again saying he can see i have read the message and expects a reply... I'm not planning on replying currently, i don't want to harm my reputation or fuel the fire on a personal level. Thoughts?

Ignore them. Or do you know them?

In any event, no permission is required.

I don't use Facebook myself, but presumably you can 'bar' them?

Last edited:
Ah, she's a photographer. This puts a slightly different complexion on the situation.

You may also want to tell her that photos of her son are easily visible by people looking at her Facebook profile.

Given she is a photographer too, there must be more to the story. How did they find you/the photograph?

But as they are unidentifiable do You need to have there permission to use it?
And was she there when it was taken?
Just wondering

I'd have to agree with boyfalldown (Hugh) on this... it's just not worth it. Great pic... fab pic... but not worth the agro. How did they find/see it anyway?

seems people on your facebook page think it might end on on the weather channel with some comments about the looneis on the beach in the bad weather.you could send her a link to the photographers right etc but if you are a pro and she could start a hate mail type campaing againt you just for 1 pic then i think i'd just drop it to protect your buisness.your choice right or wrong.

There might be something like this in your Police Force website but if not the link may be useful LINK personally I wouldn't ignore the request but I would make my response polite and factual e.g. "I do not need your permission to take photos in a public place or to use them even for commercial purposes, please see the following link ..." or similar :)

I wouldn't say she is a 'photographer' as such. she was there yes, taking photos of the waves herself using a compact camera. i posted it to a local hobby photographers group, I don't often post on it but thought i would contribute.

Given she is a photographer too, there must be more to the story. How did they find you/the photograph?
But as they are unidentifiable do You need to have there permission to use it?
And was she there when it was taken?
Just wondering

If I was in the mood for a good argument I'd point out too them where they're wrong on permissions etc and keep it online, your likely to be really banging your head against a brick wall for a fair amount of time though...

If however you want an easy life do as Hugh said above just take it down, the third option and it would if I'm honest be mine is explain the situation and that you'll not be removing it and that is your final word on the matter...if they continue to bombard you stick them on your blocked list...

It's a great shot! Don't remove it, just allow yourself to point out to them that you ARE legally permitted to use the image without their permission. As similarly worded to their message as possible :LOL:

going by the pic just below it on the right she may think your implying something. (on your facebook page).

From the photo you cannot see their identity but you have just posted Facebook screen shots with their names on this forum! I would at least make it so the names are not identifiable as if they see this forum post I guess they won't be happy. I don't know the legal side of street photography as it looks like its in a public place. I would guess the reason behind them wanting the image deleted/removed would be due to recent media interest in parents taking their children to stupid places on the coast and endangering them. Look at the parents photographed in Cornwall taking their 4 young children along a sea wall and a wave nearly washing them away.

If it was me I think I would reply saying that you have the right to use the photo and post it on Facebook and that they are actually wrong, but say that as an act of generosity you will remove it for them.

It annoys me how they have messaged you demanding that you have to remove it but it is probably not worth it

Looks like a good shot showing the sort of weather we are getting at the moment.

Is this posted on the Isle of Wight Hobby Photographers group page?

EDIT: Found it!

Steve.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take it down, out of principle.
You do not need their permission to post, use the photo, even if they were identifiable.

I would explain that to then and if they have a problem to consult their attorney.

....Exactly. It's now a matter of principle.

However, has she or her husband given you any reason which you can respect for them wanting its removal? Sorry if I missed this somewhere in this thread.

Reply and be polite but firm and explain as others have pointed out above you don't need their permission.

From the photo you cannot see their identity but you have just posted Facebook screen shots with their names on this forum! I would at least make it so the names are not identifiable as if they see this forum post I guess they won't be happy. I don't know the legal side of street photography as it looks like its in a public place. I would guess the reason behind them wanting the image deleted/removed would be due to recent media interest in parents taking their children to stupid places on the coast and endangering them. Look at the parents photographed in Cornwall taking their 4 young children along a sea wall and a wave nearly washing them away.
to late to worry about their id now he's put it all over some photography forum :naughty:

By clicking on the parents names on fb, I have access to their wonderful open fb profile which has revealed LOADS of pictures of their child(ren) and pets and everything basically.

Have they given you a reason Chad? All I would contact you for would be to get a high res image! :LOL:

They haven't given you any valid reason to take it down, other than the aggressive stance of its illegal, point out to them its not illegal and ask them if they have a valid reason for the request.

Isn't there enough photographers on Facebook to start to educate the Facebook crowd, i don't use Facebook but isn't it about groups, couldn't a group be started with the rules and laws, then liked by photographers on their own Facebook page.

nice photo right place right time could it be a case of sour grapes as you may have got a better photo of her hubby and kid than she did on the day? i would leave it on un less there is a genuine reason she wants it taken down

Back