Woman wants photo I took of her Husband and child deleted and not posted. Is she in her right?

And if she is a photographer, she may well pop up in the new member area ;)

Phil.

I've thought about this situation myself, as I like street photography. If someone complained to me, and only if they were polite, i'd show them the pic, explain that I'd rather not delete it as i think it will be a good photo, and if they give me a copy of their email address i'll happily send them a copy.

I've done this many times. I have business cards printed with my website and contact details.

If the family are aware of this thread, I would be very interested in their reasons why they wished the image moved.

I just cannot understand all the fuss this caused. If I posted an image containing people - who then requested the image be removed for whatever reason - I would oblige without question. At the end of the day, I don't want to make people unhappy or distressed for whatever reason, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth the argument that comes by taking the moral high ground! But that's just my opinion...

Last edited:
I just cannot understand all the fuss this caused. If I posted an image containing people - who then requested the image be removed for whatever reason - I would oblige without question. At the end of the day, I don't want to make people unhappy or distressed for whatever reason, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth the argument that comes by taking the moral high ground! But that's just my opinion...
I can totally understand and agree with this, if they were identifiable...but they're not. It's 2 people, wearing winter clothes, outdoors, with their back towards the camera.
It could be anyone.

I can totally understand and agree with this, if they were identifiable...but they're not. It's 2 people, wearing winter clothes, outdoors, with their back towards the camera.
It could be anyone.
In the famous words of shaggy - It wasn't me :D

It could be anyone.
True, but even so, they were able to be identify themselves.

Playing devils advocate Chris, where does that stop. Would you remove the above post if I asked you to, just because I didn't like it (but didn't tell you the reason why?).
My post doesn't contain any photos :p.

I understand it's a touchy subject, and don't wish to tread on toes. As I said, that was my opinion.

Chris:jimlad:

All i can add is i wouldn't take it down,all theses people want is their 15min "i am somebody" ,if we give in to people like this where does it end,because once they have got what they want where does it end,they will always demanding something else,its just the way theses sort of people are :(

Last edited:

and mine.. I even have a notice on my website thats been there about ten years now.. anyone wants a pic removed.. just tell me an I will remove it...

just because i have a right to do soemhting doesnt mean I will.. just use a bit of common... all this ...your in the right tell her to do one.... wow? :(

I have no problem with taking down images.i have done in the past when someone has given a reasonable explanation and I've respected their wishes. However I will try to question and ask the reason if it's 'because I want...', but then if I have to write a dissertation for my degree I think it will be on the subject of photographing children.

I have no problem with taking down images.i have done in the past when someone has given a reasonable explanation and I've respected their wishes. However I will try to question and ask the reason if it's 'because I want...', but then if I have to write a dissertation for my degree I think it will be on the subject of photographing children.

More interesting would be a wider look at attitudes of the public to photographers alongside the attitudes of photographers to the public.

The story that always comes to mind to me on this topic is that of Pericles Antoniou, a Greek photographer visiting London in 2009. Regardless of the precise circumstances, questioning the parentage of the child as part of his defence at the scene was absolutely priceless.

right then i think you should delete your account on here, it offends me greatly as i am very neurotic...only joking, so dont, but you get my point ;)

Yeah you did, make a point or move on.

at the risk of sounding like a childrens party.. no I didn't .. I have a notice on my website for ten years stating I will remove any picture on request... in ten years I ahve had less than half a dozen requests... i really dont understand your point at all... But.. for some stranmge reason you dont believe me so:(

Kipax, what sort of initial contact do you have for the removal request, polite request with a reason or a demand? Has it been spread out over the ten years or increasing recently (ok 6 isn't that big a number to base it on I know),

Flicked on FB late last night and saw some of the fallout from the FB group. Obviously didn't get to see the photo has it had been removed by that time. Nice image Chad! and one that most of us would have grabbed. Unfortunately our small Island sometimes suffers from small mindedness.

How sad, kicking someone from the group for doing something that they had every right to do and for explaining to the parents that they have no reason to remove the photo. Sounds like a brilliant group to be part of to me. Maybe the person who guided the parents to this Forum post should guide the narrow minded group admin to this page so they can actually get some facts on what happened.

I'm with Daz on this one, if this is the admins way of promoting photography and encouraging photography then your best out of it, especially as there seems to be a couple of others who are also unaware of the facts and law

People.... *sigh*

I like your shot.
Its part of your developing creative process and you should feel encouraged to continue to grow.

As you found out, you were in the right.
Being right means nothing unless you can communicate that fact well enough for the other party to understand.
I think your response was well worded.
Personally, I go through the initial stages of wishing Darwinism was a little more thorough in removing idiots from the gene pool, but then always resort to calm logic and educate the individual. Depending on the situation I may offer them options that they must pay for, or a goodwill gesture on my part.
I note that you opted for a goodwill gesture.
However, your reputation and exposure as you develop yourself on fb has been tarnished and stunted by their actions.

I would politely point this out to them and ask that they try to undo the damage caused with the fb admins and to reinstate you - and only then, you can release the image to them.
Goodwill should be a two way street.

You should also check any terms and conditions on the fb group and try to have a chat with the admin.

Good luck.

Flicked on FB late last night and saw some of the fallout from the FB group. Obviously didn't get to see the photo has it had been removed by that time. Nice image Chad! and one that most of us would have grabbed. Unfortunately our small Island sometimes suffers from small mindedness.

Missed this part; what FB group and what happened?

Missed this part; what FB group and what happened?
Isle of wight photography group on facebook. I just saw the message saying a photo had been removed and I think Chad was also removed from the group but not sure. Only made sense when I saw this post this morning and put 2 and 2 together.
Still think it is a great image though personally.

It's obvious why she wants it removed, isn't it? If you read the papers over the past few days they have all slated irresponsible people going to the beach when waves are crashing in, as is happening here. They're probably embarrassed.

Probably closer to the truth

Last edited:
Kipax, what sort of initial contact do you have for the removal request, polite request with a reason or a demand?

I have always had the following message on my website.. it changed slightly a few years ago to be more comprehensive but basic same..

Problems
If for any reasons you require a photograph removing from this website then please get in touch webmaster@******* as soon as possible . Send me your email address so I can confirm who you say you are. A reason for having the picture removed and the picture details such as collection date and filename. I will remove any photo on request as soon as possible (within 24hrs) but only after I have verified who the request is from. I will not delete whole galleries.

Has it been spread out over the ten years or increasing recently (ok 6 isn't that big a number to base it on I know),

I cant recall ..but its sorta once every blue moon..

One request from over zelous goal celebration with a steward holding him back.... all smiles but he didnt want people seeing him over excited:)

Couple of women requests who thought they looked terrible..

One request i just ignored.... I took a picture of a female streaker at a womans fa cup final.. it was on TV and 24 thousand people attending and many photogrpahers... I got an irate email saying she was shocked to see her pics on my website and that she was taking legal advice to have them removed.. but while this is happening she would give me permission to keep them online if she was sent a full copy of the pics.... This was a first contact email...I totally ignored her :) thats was a few years ago and I never heard any more..

No requests involving children.....

nothing in last couple of years and I put more schools and junior pics online than ever before..

I ahve around 150 thousands pics in my galeries on my website.. removing somehting now and then is nothing to me... I get just under three million picture (not visitors) views a year) so the complaint/remove rate is ..well hardly anything is it?

Last edited:
I cannot see any reason why they want this image taken down - none whatsoever - unless of course the parents want to claim it as their own shot and have copied it;)
As they have adopted a certain attitude towards this, I certainly wouldn't humour them.

Not really. If it was a life-changing, fame-making photograph then sure. Otherwise I am like KIPAX, it's more important for me to spread a little happiness.
I appreciate everyone is entitled to their opinion but for a start you have absolutely no way of knowing if that image is life-changing or fame-making.

I took a test shot once whilst sitting in an airport, going through them later I very nearly deleted it but decided I liked it and ended up posting it to my blog - I was approached later and sold a licence to use it for 5 figures, so you can never tell. Not life-changing or fame-making for me either but if I had decided to 'take it down' it would never have happened.

When I think about FB, I imagine a large room with lots of angry people (let us call them "friends";)), and these people are trying to decide where to vent their anger next, who needs sorting out, how to put the World to rights, how they can impose their own warped view of right and wrong on other people, and in doing so convert those people to being as small minded and petty as they are.

When I think about FB, I imagine a large room with lots of angry people (let us call them "friends";)), and these people are trying to decide where to vent their anger next, who needs sorting out, how to put the World to rights, how they can impose their own warped view of right and wrong on other people, and in doing so convert those people to being as small minded and petty as they are.

As much as at first that seems a remarkably cynical view, sadly I think it's just a reflection of how some people are in real life. Earlier in the year I saw someone post about someone out in a park using a 'big camera' so keep your kids away, I almost exploded with anger. In fact looking back now I wish I had.

When i think about FB. I see a way of finding out whats happening in my local area.. what i can photo.. I see a way of helping my business by promotong what I do and letting lots of people know what pics I ahve uploaded"

Maybe it's the way you look at life that counts :)

Back