Womens Footy - Getty Only?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
According to the followin g website.. Getty have been given sole right to the new womens super league and no other photogrpahers will be give accreditation.. Article does say to be confirmed but tis somehtign I feared and touched on in the past.. I am safe.. Doesn't effect me but there are a couple of togs on here it will effect.

http://www.ladiessoccer.co.uk

Sunday 12th September
To Be Confirmed

A leaked report to the Media suggests the forthcoming New Women's FA Super League will only be covered by Getty Images who have been Accredited to develop Pictures from the New Women's League. The leaked report to the Press Reports and indicates that only Press Photographers working for and on behalf of Getty Images Limited who produce Matchday images for the all Clubs male counterparts apart from Bristol Academy will be accredited by the New Women's Super League Clubs, However as Bristol Academy Women's FC is not currently covered by any local agreements with Getty Images Limited the decision could leave the South West Club High and Dry on Supply of Pictures from their home matches unless travelling clubs send authorised Photographers from Getty However, the dispute is for from simply, a Spokesman for the Independent Freelance Press Contractors blasted the decisions to denied Freelance Photographers the chance to work at both Southampton FC and on the New Women's Super League "This another fine example of the Shambolic Organization of the FA who have done nothing to help our members" but if as the FA State through Press Spokesman Johann Alexander Regarding press accreditation "Unfortunately press accreditation does not guarantee entry to a game anywhere in the country, the club is within their rights to refuse entry to an Organization and/or individual despite them having the relevant accreditation, and this is a matter for the club to comment on, it’s not something we control nor have any rights too, the club and venue deal with their own accreditation" then if this is the case, it is bizarre the FA have awarded Getty Images Limited a contract for In-House Control for exclusive Photographic Media Rights of the forthcoming FA Women's Super League thus denying the Clubs the right to accredit other Photographers who work outside of Getty Images Limited who produce pictures for all Premiership and League Clubs.

So you're with Getty now Kippax?

Some bad spelling mistakes in there.

So you're with Getty now Kippax?

Some bad spelling mistakes in there.

no.. my womens team arnt in the super league :)

whats the bet the olympics will go the same way

Not a chance.

That press release shown above has been removed from the website. I am not saying it isn't possible but there are no other public events around the world where Getty have sole access.

Not a chance.

That press release shown above has been removed from the website. I am not saying it isn't possible but there are no other public events around the world where Getty have sole access.

Its just got moved off the bottom of the page with other stories.. not removed because not true.... the press office at the FA will confirm it :(

Not a chance.

Lets see if the governmet is serious about including "small bussinesses" in the olympics

There will be a lot to shoot there (and not just the sport)

Lets see if the governmet is serious about including "small bussinesses" in the olympics

There will be a lot to shoot there (and not just the sport)

With the greatest of respect, you don't seem to know how accreditations are allocated for an Olympics.

When it comes to an Olympics, the international agencies (AP, AFP, Getty Images and Reuters) plus the local agency (PA) are guarenteed access. Then the IOC decides the split between Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and the Americas for journalists/photographers who get accreditations.

Governments pledge to include small business does not translate into handing accreditations out as if they were sweets.

Its just got moved off the bottom of the page with other stories.. not removed because not true.... the press office at the FA will confirm it :(

I will ask when I am in work tomorrow but it would be a major turn around on our policy of not wanting to restrict press access to events.

I will ask when I am in work tomorrow but it would be a major turn around on our policy of not wanting to restrict press access to events.

Did you ask.. only it seems to be the worse kept secret as everyone is aware of it. arse they allw rong?

Did you ask.. only it seems to be the worse kept secret as everyone is aware of it. arse they allw rong?

It would be very interesting to know, but I suspect it might just be a step too far. AFAIK no-one is interested in restricting access that much, and Getty were a fairly vocal critic of Southampton FC recently...I can't imagine them being that hypocritical!

and Getty were a fairly vocal critic of Southampton FC recently...I can't imagine them being that hypocritical!

Can you not? I can for sure....

Well as usual when I want to know something.. Ask them that know.. I have made contact with the FA.. lets see what they have to say :)

AUTO Out of office reply until the 17th......

Last edited:
Can you not? I can for sure....

Hmmmmm, I know they have this reputation as being the "boogy man" of photography...but I don't think stifling the competition is in anyone's interests (any of the big 5). You beat your competition by supplying consistently better images not by denying them access in the first place.

You beat your competition by supplying consistently better images not by denying them access in the first place.

That definitely is not true when it comes to the printed press. If it was then you wouldn't see half the crap printed.
All they care about are deadlines and cost. If you can get it to them reliably, fast and cheap then you're onto a winner.

That definitely is not true when it comes to the printed press. If it was then you wouldn't see half the crap printed.
All they care about are deadlines and cost. If you can get it to them reliably, fast and cheap then you're onto a winner.

Ah yes, what the papers print is rarely the best...that's how I get so much in there :nuts:

I still stand by my comment, though perhaps with the caveat:

You beat your competition by consistently supplying better images to clients quickly and accurately, not by denying them access in the first place.

not by denying them access in the first place.

thats how event photogrpahy works.. make sure your the only one allowed to supply..

You can also be full sure that the FA or any other organisation for that matter wouldn't have to think too long and hard if Getty were to offer them a big bag of cash for exclusive access.

They already accept it for tv rights and photographic rights ain't that much different at the end of the day.

I have a feeling in 10 or so years that none of this will matter anyway as you will be able to pull HD high res stills from tv cameras and one company will probably control the whole lot, tv and photographic rights.

So.. I got a reply from the FA .. I have asked if I can copy and quote it so will await the response to hat before doing so.. But basically.. its rubbish and no deal with getty

it wasnt just the website quoted.. I am involved in womens football and the same story was circulating.. its quite rife..

Subject: Re: Womens football
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:38:26 +0100

Hi Antony,

Thanks for your email. I'm not sure where this has come from but as far as I'm aware this is not the case. We need to promote the new league through as many different channels as possible and that includes photography channels as well, there is no exclusive contract with getty that I'm aware of and it should not in any way restrict your access to photograph at matches.

Best Regards,
Johann

I did ask but have been offline; as you can see from the other replies, it's not true.

They already accept it for tv rights and photographic rights ain't that much different at the end of the day.

Photographic "rights" are very different; we access venues and events on the basis of being journalists. The concept of a "rights holder photographer" is a very dangerous one and one that currently we think has no place in the world of photography.

I have a feeling in 10 or so years that none of this will matter anyway as you will be able to pull HD high res stills from tv cameras and one company will probably control the whole lot, tv and photographic rights.

Personally, I doubt it. Shooting video and taking photos are very different skills.

Back