Name
Julian Elliott
Edit My Images
No
Morning all

I know some of you are subscribed to me on Youtube due to my travel photography adventures but I'm also planning a number of vlogs showing "how to" to do something.

This is one filmed in my local area on woodland. The woodland where I live here in France is nothing like the woodland in the UK. It seems a lot more chaotic (only Wistman's Wood trumps it for chaos ;) ) or in other cases managed as it's been specifically planted for the purpose of it being used for wood.

Luckily there was still a lot of autumn colour around when I did this which certainly helped.

A number of people seemed to have watched it and liked it so I thought I'd post it here :)

I'm in the UK as of tomorrow. In London on Monday for the LPOTY awards. And then maybe up to the Lake District and Northumberland from Thursday to Sunday. If you happen to see me do say hello :)

Interesting. I also take a lot of forest shots, but usually tropical or sometimes temperate rainforests (I live in Australia). They are much more chaotic than your woodlands and good lighting is usually confined to overcast days or even in the rain. They are wonderful places, but the complexity is the greatest challenge.

There are native oak woodlands alll over Wales, usually on valley sides. There is also some native beech woodland in south-east Wales. I was in Ty Canol oakwoods in Pembrokeshire ealier this week, which strictly speaking might be descibed as wood pasture rather than woodland, as they have been grazed over the centuries, and are now maintained in that way for conservation purposes. Very chaotic ! But with bare areas as well. No straight trunked specimens such as the ones in your video.

Horribly difficult to photograph well, I found. But there was this rather fine old tree which made a good centrepiece.
_04A4121-2.jpg

There are native oak woodlands alll over Wales, usually on valley sides. There is also some native beech woodland in south-east Wales. I was in Ty Canol oakwoods in Pembrokeshire ealier this week, which strictly speaking might be descibed as wood pasture rather than woodland, as they have been grazed over the centuries, and are now maintained in that way for conservation purposes. Very chaotic ! But with bare areas as well. No straight trunked specimens such as the ones in your video.

Horribly difficult to photograph well, I found. But there was this rather fine old tree which made a good centrepiece.
View attachment 114840

Thanks for the info Jerry :)

Those ones in the beginning we find all over here in the Loire Valley. I asked someone why it was that they were planted in such an orderly fashion. The response was that it made them easier to cut down.

I miss the woodland in the UK at times. There just seems to be something more kind of "Lord of the Rings" that you get over there that we don't seem to have around where I live.

I live in the forest (literally). Was planning on doing a similar video.
I can happily spend hours mooching around the trees.
Although the woods beside my house are very orderly as they were planted, just down the road we have puzzle wood which has been used for many films and tv programs and was actually the inspiration for Tolkien for the Middle Earth forests.

http://www.puzzlewood.net/index.php

Back