Woodland Walk

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
I posted some of these elsewhere here but keep meaning to add something in this section as it's been a good while, plus appreciate not everyone visits the other areas.

Came away a little deflated from this little planned shoot as the girls made the effort for the golden hour and there just wasn't one, pretty lifeless and flat for the most part. Interested to hear your picks as many people have favoured different ones.

37546384072_613be51ded_b.jpg

36968798523_80b12bf12b_b.jpg

37538578856_a837ebaafe_b.jpg

37546383932_a718a7136e_b.jpg

37546383792_6828e3aafd_b.jpg

36917345543_3dd3b1683f_b.jpg

37590805206_1f3e6cb74b_b.jpg

37531638406_6327983fb3_b.jpg

Last edited:

Adorable pictures, Kris, 2. 3. 4. 5. and 7.
are very good renditions! (y)(y)(y)

1, (2 maybe), 4, 5, 6 for me. Skin tones seem a 1/4 stop underexposed (or something like that) on some of the photos.

Adorable pictures, Kris, 2. 3. 4. 5. and 7.
are very good renditions! (y)(y)(y)

1,2,7 and 8 with 7 being my fav!

Really nice

1, (2 maybe), 4, 5, 6 for me. Skin tones seem a 1/4 stop underexposed (or something like that) on some of the photos.

Thanks all for the comments. I agree that the skin tones are borderline, I also think the grain makes them a little muddy. Don't always add grain, depends on the mood/feel but liked it here.

#3 for me, just because of the interaction between the two of them. It's a shame about the twigs in the top right corner though.

#3 for me, just because of the interaction between the two of them. It's a shame about the twigs in the top right corner though.

Funny you've plumbed for that one as I nearly left it out here feeling it was the least strongest image. I initially had big sis holding her up to pull a leaf off but it didn't work, then the girls started messing around together so just shot as it happened. Agree that the twigs distract on reflection. 30 seconds prior to the shot that twig was covered in leaves ha.

Last edited:
Right, we'll take it as read that they're good, ok? Nice use of light, nicely processed, even if it's not quite to my taste.

I've lost count of the number of candid shots of the backs of people that I've taken. I think perhaps 2 of them are worth keeping.
Similarly, here #5 tells the same story as #2 & #4 but is much more interesting.
I think #8 might be favourite if it was processed differently.

Right, we'll take it as read that they're good, ok? Nice use of light, nicely processed, even if it's not quite to my taste.

I've lost count of the number of candid shots of the backs of people that I've taken. I think perhaps 2 of them are worth keeping.
Similarly, here #5 tells the same story as #2 & #4 but is much more interesting.
I think #8 might be favourite if it was processed differently.

Thanks for the input Simon. I seem to gravitate around a couple of processing bases and deviate where the subject/mood takes me. Is it just the matted look that doesn't float your boat. I'll admit that sometimes I don't like it so heavy like in the last image, same with the grain applied which I generally don't add but felt it worked here.

There's a couple of inconsistencies above if I'm being honest, where I've desaturated some colour on the majority only to warm to another a couple of days afterwards and not follow the same, but it's fairly slight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Simon. I seem to gravitate around a couple of processing bases and deviate where the subject/mood takes me. Is it just the matted look that doesn't float your boat. I'll admit that sometimes I don't like it so heavy like in the last image, same with the grain applied which I generally don't add but felt it worked here.

There's a couple of inconsistencies above if I'm being honest, where I've desaturated some colour on the majority only to warm to another a couple of days afterwards, but it's fairly slight.

The skin tones seem a bit blue / pink for me and the whites are definitely blueish. I think the slight desaturation & matting emphasises that.
I'm not a fan of strong vignettes either but I've said that before; I seem to be alone!

The skin tones seem a bit blue / pink for me and the whites are definitely blueish. I think the slight desaturation & matting emphasises that.
I'm not a fan of strong vignettes either but I've said that before; I seem to be alone!

Interesting, I'll look at that. I think the base I used (an own made preset) used to have too much magenta in the highlights and so
I did correct it, or maybe I over did the blue in the end?
I can't see that myself but viewing off a phone, I'll check later when I've a proper screen and eye dropper in front of me.

There was no question whether we liked the photos, just which of the bunch we preferred ;)

The bobble on big sis does look a little bluish but the little lady's hat looks perfectly white in comparison now that I'm back on.a decent screen. No 7 is the one where I upped the vibrance a bit before exporting out and so clearly is a little more saturated for comparison, certainly improved the skin tone. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have added a little more vignette than normal to help draw the eye in a couple, but did it manually.

Last edited:
A beautiful and amazing set.

Print them because in twenty plus years these will evoke some wonderful memories.

Thanks. I've been a little slack of late in printing. She's two in 3 weeks time and I still haven't finished the first photo album. It's one of the jobs when I'm off in two weeks time. The plan was to do one each year.

Back