Woohoo finally got one!

Name
Lisa
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been after the kestrels up the farm for ages, normally they fly over my head when im seeing my mare and on the days i dont take my camera into the field :bonk:

Today as we was driving up the track i spotted this one on a bale in the field so took it quickly before it flew off to a near by tree, so i only got the one. I know its not great but im just happy to have got it :)

3912258958_479ff996c1.jpg

The males have a pronounced grey head and face Lisa.

Well done i always see them when i don't have camera with me
Regards
Lost

Well spotted and captured Lisa

Nice one(y)

They are notoriously shy little raptors Lisa so you did very well to capture that one in her delightful pose... (y)

Definitely a female too as males have, in addition to the uniform grey head as mentiond by CT, a more chestnut and less streaked back... ;) ... although the juveniles also resemble the females too... :D

And if you have a number of them around the same location it is likely to be a family group including this years youngsters until they fly off to find their own territory... :shrug:

:p

Well done Lisa, I bet it was a great feeling when you first saw the image on your screen, with the realisation you had 'bagged' the image :)

you had 'bagged' the image :)

:D

Lisa, I believe Kestrels to be creatures of habit whilst hunting.If you have the time,sit in the car and watch where it hunts.They are ok with cars unless you get out ,open a door or something like that.Try sitting with the window and or sunroof already open, it may just come a fair bit closer to you.

Well done getting the shot as well.

Nicely caught Lisa :)

Thank you.

They are notoriously shy little raptors Lisa so you did very well to capture that one in her delightful pose... (y)

Definitely a female too as males have, in addition to the uniform grey head as mentiond by CT, a more chestnut and less streaked back... ;) ... although the juveniles also resemble the females too... :D

And if you have a number of them around the same location it is likely to be a family group including this years youngsters until they fly off to find their own territory... :shrug:

:p

Thanks for that, i know there was 3 all flying about together the other day and i can see what tree they always land in, so must be a family.

Fantatstic shot well done

Kirk

Thanks.

Well done Lisa, I bet it was a great feeling when you first saw the image on your screen, with the realisation you had 'bagged' the image :)

I was so worried i messed it up, i could only turn the camera on and have a quick look at the settings, quick manual focus then took the pic and she then flew off! So happy to get something ok! :D

Nice one Lisa well done :clap:

Thanks

:D

Lisa, I believe Kestrels to be creatures of habit whilst hunting.If you have the time,sit in the car and watch where it hunts.They are ok with cars unless you get out ,open a door or something like that.Try sitting with the window and or sunroof already open, it may just come a fair bit closer to you.

Well done getting the shot as well.

We was i nthe car and had to put the window down for this, she was a good 20-25 feet from us, i know the fields where they are normally spotted and i think they nest in the woods next to the field my mare is in (along with 2 buzzards!! ) Im allowed to set a hide up there if i want and can go where i want too (y)

Just need both kids to be in school/ nursery for the time to just sit up there, should be next year sometime.

Many thanks for all your comments :D

Last edited:
Back