Woohoo Waxwings Are Coming

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Sorry no pictures yet, just heard that waxwings hare arriving in UK, they have been spotted near Leeds, Ive been trying for 3 years 4 including this time, to get shots of waxwings, but never had any luck despite having looked everywhere for them, lets hope we get them in Lancashire again so everyone keep your eyes peeled for them (y)

I even bought and planted a couple of rowan trees in the hope of enticing them to my garden :D

LOL Christine, fab idea, you do know if you get them in your garden Im camping outside your house (y)

im in the wrong area doh.

No Scott, they will be all over UK, look out in Rowan trees with red berries or any red berry trees, you may be lucky, hope so lo i;ll be camping near you too Im determind this year I will get shots of the little fellows, (Dave Prays)

LO Chris

bohemian-waxwing-7158.jpg

Image Courtesy Nature photos Clicky Linky

Dave

Last edited:
Im really looking forward to them coming

Regards

Richard

They were spotted in bolton yesterday

Regards

Mike

Woohoo Mike just read a report on my local natural history forum, doesnt mention were though, where they near Topps Tiles, as they were last year, the days I went, there was work sand blasting a house in the street and they were nowhere to be seen

Pleased your all keeping your eyes open for them, they look fab birds and I never seen them since I was a child

Last edited:
love this time of year when the visitors start to arrive fieldfares an redwings won,t be long either
regards ian

LOL Christine, fab idea, you do know if you get them in your garden Im camping outside your house (y)

No Scott, they will be all over UK, look out in Rowan trees with red berries or any red berry trees, you may be lucky, hope so lo i;ll be camping near you too Im determind this year I will get shots of the little fellows, (Dave Prays)
cheers dave will do mate.

Woohoo Mike just read a report on my local natural history forum, doesnt mention were though, where they near Topps Tiles, as they were last year, the days I went, there was work sand blasting a house in the street and they were nowhere to be seen

Pleased your all keeping your eyes open for them, they look fab birds and I never seen them since I was a child

Yes That was the day I went - My wife went the day before and got these

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=210776&highlight=waxwings

Regards

Mike

Had the fieldfare in my garden last year so keeping a look out for these again
Hope they return this year Karen (y)

cheers dave will do mate.

(y)

Yes That was the day I went - My wife went the day before and got these

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=210776&highlight=waxwings

Regards

Mike

Mike I met a man and a lady there one day when I was there, think the lady came from Wales, wasnt you by any chance, fab shots I remember seeing them (y)

The last big waxwing invasion was,I think, in 2005,when (with a bit of luck on your side) you might have see flocks of upto 1000 of these beauties.I sit and pray for a repeat,they seemed to prefer rowans with pinkish berries as opposed to the red berried variety.Cotoneasters were a good bet too as were apples,particularly trees with semi-rotten fruits.
For those who may not be aware,their call is very distinctive,it sounds not too dissimilar to a 1970's 'trimaphone'.They can be easily confused with starlings in flight,so keep an eye out and please report any you find.

reported today in London and Beds.

Lots of waxwings been reported during the last few days up and down the country.

Last edited:
Nice set of weather conditions have brought quite a few into the country the past few days, bit early to decide if its an irruption due to breeding success or crop reduction on the continent, also good numbers of Whooper swans and Rough-legged buzzards being seen so im hoping to see some nice photos in due course.

Looks like it could be a good year this year (y)
Regards
Richard

Would love to get some images of these birds. Just need to work out where the closest location would be to me. Ah the joys of living in London :(

I live in the countryside and I've never seen one either :(

Would love to get some images of these birds. Just need to work out where the closest location would be to me. Ah the joys of living in London :(

Six Waxwings at 08-55 today at Wanstead.
Proabably nearest to you at the moment.
Also 20-30 in Kent, so more to come your way

C

Back