Wordpress

Gregory Hicks

Suspended / Banned
Name
N/A
Edit My Images
No
Who has a wordpress site on here... if so what is the address, ive just got one and from what i can see so far im not 100% sure its going to be what i need i just want to see other peoples ideas and how they have used it :) :help:

Self hosted or hosted on wordpress.com?

Much better to be self hosted

What it means is you have paid for hosting with a hosting provider, an example of this would be Hostgator who I use.

It is not the same as paying for and owning your own domain name - the two are very separate.

It is also not the same as paying someone like clickpic or wordpress.com to use your domain name on there services either

I just want a basic theme with none of the blog rubbish..... Does that make sence?

I just want a basic theme with none of the blog rubbish..... Does that make sence?

Wordpress is fundamentally a blogging tool. However, you can use it to create "pages", which are just normal webpages.

Have you considered using Joomla?

someguy201 said:
Wordpress is fundamentally a blogging tool. However, you can use it to create "pages", which are just normal webpages.

Have you considered using Joomla?

Il consider anythink to get what i want..... :)

Thats right static is what i want.

Front page, info page, gallary and thats all

In my signature you can see how the same template with the exact same customisations can be used for a static site just as well as a blog site.

Don't scrimp on the template, if it's for business, a good template will save you hours of fiddling, therefore paying for itself.

You can make a pro photo site do what you need it to within an hour (promise).

Gregory Hicks said:
Pay for a template you mean??

Yes.
£126 ( and there are discount codes available).

You can get cheaper ones, you can get free ones, but pro photo is a one off install, requires no messing with any code, creates fab SEO friendly content, so easy to use, the new one will even create a mobile version of your site automatically.

I find it so easy to use, it probably saves me 20-40 hours a year in hassle, even for someone as (not very) busy as me it's paying it's way. When I hear other people talking about tweaking the CSS of their Wordpress sites, or struggling with incompatible scripts to do the simplest things I have to smile, Pro Photo just needs a couple of (free) add ons and it's perfect, spam filter and backup.

I dont have £126 to throw at it hense y inwanted to do it myself..... So you cant make your own then?

Gregory Hicks said:
I dont have £126 to throw at it hense y inwanted to do it myself..... So you cant make your own then?

There are plenty of free or cheap templates, just google free Wordpress templates for photographers.

BUT like anything else, if you want something that works brilliantly, it has a value.

I used to use a flash template site, it looked great (to me at the time) but was roundly ignored by google. My pro photo blog hit page 2 of google for my no1 search term within a month, and has been on page 1 from about month 3. What is that level of advertising worth?

Good point, when i type in my name i come top of google anyway i dont even understand how tht thing work! Il read up in it tommorow :>

Gregory Hicks said:
Good point, when i type in my name i come top of google anyway i dont even understand how tht thing work! Il read up in it tommorow :>

IMO that's the important stuff. As a small business owner, spending weeks learning how to write code or design skills to build a website from scratch is a waste. But learning about SEO is an important part of your total marketing skillset;
Understanding your customers
Understanding your competition
Getting yourself in front of your potential customers (where SEO comes in)
Closing the deal

My sites are Wordpress, but both paid for Prophoto themes, if you're using you site to make money, it's a minimal investment, for a lot of goodness :)

Otherwise just google "free wordpress template" tons out there.

There is a link to mine in my signature, I use a paid theme however (Photocrati)

What exactly do you want it to do other than static pages? or is that everything?

If so Wordpress is easy to configure for that and setup, its just a case of finding a theme you are happy with that's the problem

Back