Wordpress

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Having a play with Wordpress and it doesn't seem as straight forward as they make out unless I'm missing the obvious. I'm using the Sela theme but can't seem to get that grid style layout? I've changed it to Grid in the page settings but nothing changes on the screen and photos still just stack under each other? I can see how handy some of the stuff in Wordpress can be and how it can reduce workload, but for trying to get layouts the way I want them it seems to be far more complicated than just doing it bespoke myself?

Welcome to Wordpress.

I suspect it's an issue with the theme. Is there a support forum for the theme where you might be able to get a useful answer?

I've only been looking at it since Friday afternoon and this morning. I've got a blog and stuff up and running and still have a dedicated website hosted elsewhere so fortunately it's not urgent so I'll keep looking about.

Would you know if I change the theme to something else but decide to go back to this one will I have to set it all up again or does it keep all the settings and pages as you change themes?

I was also looking for a widget or something where you can list a load of courses and the dates they run from and to? At the moment she is using a simple table I put together on the main website.

Cheers. I checked out another theme and it had a specific option in the template editor to add the three features so it looks like the Sela theme isn't the best. I'm using the wordpress domain one as a testing site rather than risking the indpendent domain one and learning new things each time. It still doesn't seem as flexible as I thought it would be but then I guess that's the price you pay for off-the-shelf convenience.

Cheers. I checked out another theme and it had a specific option in the template editor to add the three features so it looks like the Sela theme isn't the best. I'm using the wordpress domain one as a testing site rather than risking the indpendent domain one and learning new things each time. It still doesn't seem as flexible as I thought it would be but then I guess that's the price you pay for off-the-shelf convenience.

To be honest using the wordpress.com free option will have a number of restrictions on what you can and can not do and will not allow you to customize to your liking as much as you might want to.

If you already have your own domain then why not just set up a sub domain and then upload wordpress to it and play to your hearts content

It's the paid personal package I've got with a domain but there's also the free version which I mess about with. Although the paid version I've got is quite restrictive with regard to Plug-ins etc.

The best advice I can give you is plugins for functionality and themes for look and feel.

If your theme has functionality built in (like the gallery) then what happens when you decide to change the theme? You lose that gallery.

Look in to a self hosted domain rather than WordPress.com, you get A LOT more options in terms of plugins and themes and you can add your own custom code to get exactly what you want.

Sorry I don't think I was clear with my explaining, I've got a separate .com domain which I bought through WordPress but the free WordPress sub-domain is also linked to this account.

I've also got domains from 123reg etc which I use for the website I built from scratch.

I think I'll just use the WordPress one as primarily a blog to help with seo along with links to the hand built website.

My main reason for checking out WordPress was to see how good it would be for full blown websites and not blogs for some future work I've got planned so I'm going to keep having a play.

I am not sure I understand what your problem is, but when I upload photos to my blog, I get options: individual pictures, thumbnail grid, tiled mosaic, square tiles, circles, tiled columns or slideshow. I have tried several themes (I cannot remember which ones now) and all of them offered those choices.

Have you installed all the plugins reccomended by thecreators of the theme?

Have you installed all the plugins reccomended by thecreators of the theme?

I don't think I can install any extra Plug-ins with my package, it's the first one which you pay for. I think it's called personal.

You can independantly host Wordpress and that gives you the flexibility to do anything you want - for example create a custom child-theme where you can make customisations to suit your needs.
But that requires knowing a thing or two about CSS and PHP. It's not something that's necessarily that easy to jump in the deep end with.
If you are running a business I'd look at a web developer/desinger.

Personally I think running a separate website to gain SEO advantage is a poor approach. Ensuring your own content is up to scratch is a good start point - guest blogging for relevant sites is also good. As are articles on your own site relevant to your target audience. Once of my blog posts (I was doing commercial photography) advising businesses on SEO and social media was picked up by a national photography magazine. Approach it from the right angle and you can draw the right sort of traffic relatively easily.

It's my wife's business and I've got her 2nd place in Google for many years now but i really wanted to have a blog that wasn't just Facebook and drum up even more business. But as said it was also to see if WordPress was a viable alternative for building sites that are not blogs but allow cms for the business.

Wordpress is absolutely viable as a CMS and not just a blog engine, although there are other good alternatives.
Can the blog not be part of your wife's business website?

I'm using the wordpress domain one as a testing site rather than risking the indpendent domain one and learning new things each time.
For learning WordPress I can really recommend a program called instant WordPress It is Windows portable program that creates a temporary webserver and you can run the full version of WordPress, themes and plugins. You can play and learn website building to your hearts content without your mistakes being shown live and large on the internet.
Once you create a site you are happy with there are many backup\restore plugins that will transfer your instant WordPress site to your hosting companies servers.

Tell you one thing I'm not happy about, since signing up to WordPress (twice) the emails I used for the accounts (not in the websites) have both been inundated with spam and it's no irony that they are all for website design. That aside, quite liking WordPress.

Back