Words/phrases you hate to hear

Gifted as in "someone GIFTED me a camera" what on earth was wrong with the perfectly good word "GAVE" ...

Unless that sounds a bit too much like Gove for comfort :puke:

Last edited:
I know I'm an old pedant but what I really dislike is additional words used with "unique", such as almost, quite etc. The word unique means one of a kind and if it is qualified then it isn't unique.

I know I'm an old pedant but what I really dislike is additional words used with "unique", such as almost, quite etc. The word unique means one of a kind and if it is qualified then it isn't unique.

Yes! :runaway:

Hmmm I feel left out now, I've applied for voluntary redundancy 3 times and been turned down :(

TBH I looked at it as an opportunity to change my life for the better, which I have now even though I never got accepted.

Just think the summer is here all those opportunities to go out with camera and all these cubs being born.

Nothing said really annoys me, I have some great sarcastic retorts that stops them

I've applied for mine and it's been accepted. I finish work after 14 years with the local authority on 25th August and start as a full time photography student on 29th. Can't wait.

The fact that it's voluntary means, by it's very nature, that you're choosing that path.
Nobody in my company did, and it was an utter shock to everyone. :(

The word "So... blah blah blan" at the start of every response to a question.

As in

Q. "What are your plans for the weekend"?

A. "So I am going to Hyde Park" e

To really make it worthy of being attacked with a nuclear weapon... the respondent just needs to elongate the So to Soooo, use a nasal drawl, inflect the Sooooo and wrap it in a Kiwi (or if not an Aussie) accent. Raising the eyebrows and twisting the head so you seem to be speaking out of the edge of the mouth..... really gives the complete 'imbecile' effect

For maximum irritation, use it in SMS texting, Facebook, Twitter, Theses, Newspaper articles, online Forums.......

Yes it happened to me today. Kiwi, Full on inflection and gormless look. I walked away.

PS The question above was made up......

Last edited:
Feels like s*** either way. :(
It certainly does.

Luckily for me my 'role' wasn't one of the ones to go but 220+ of my colleagues weren't so lucky. Continuous process in our organisation, 4th time for me in about 5 years.

Sorry you weren't so lucky

When a presenter introduces a band or solo artist with "give it up please,for..."
I want to kick my TV in!

FTFY

No you did not. If I wanted to say that I would have.

When a presenter introduces a band or solo artist with "give it up please,for..."
I want to kick my TV in!
In the same vein as that, I hate when they say "make some noise for....." really winds me up

"I've taken it upon myself." Which, when translated means "I'm interfering in a matter that's none of my business and I know sweet f -all about but that's not going to stop me barging in, causing lots of trouble and disruption."

'Shooting from the hip'
Translation: 'brace yourself for idiocy'

I want to kick my TV in!
Isn't that one of Joooooooooooools Holland's favourite sayings?
Never mind kicking the TV in ...... :D

'De-luxe', as in advertising, guaranteed to be abysmal.

'De-luxe', as in advertising, guaranteed to be abysmal.
Well that's because you didn't buy the super de-luxe one, silly :D

Words that are hyphenated unnecessarily. :)

"My mate's getting married and I said you'd do the pics." On occasion it was followed with, "So if you could be at the church in half an hour 'cos that's when it starts..."

"So if you could be at the church in half an hour 'cos that's when it starts..."
I hope you made it in time (y)

:D

I hate people that assume, need favours, plus when you need one in return, they are never available!

I hate people that assume that because you have a camera and know how to use it, you'll take pictures of things that really don't interest you
for them, can't remember the amount of times I've said I don't do people, flowers, party type events and never ever WEDDINGS !!!!

Back